• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 175B The Beast!

boone

The things I take for granted working close to a shop...and electricity. Seems we were always needing to walk down to the shop for something we didn't have in the barn shed. Looks like you have to take everything in one trip. Glad to see you making some head-way! Hopefully, fall weather will come soon and give you guys some relief.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
semi-retired, computer logistics
Boone, you are dead right about working in the field. We tote everything out there, have taken to leaving it all in place. The cows tend to push stuff around, but not so bad. Big worry is fire danger. If the place ever catches fire, we could lose it all plus the Beast. We have a HUGE cedar pile just to the east of the trailer where all the tools are stored; it is so dry it will burn like crazy when ever we get the burn ban lifted.

We always have something we need that we have to make a list for next time we are out there. 15 miles to Copperas Cove, Car Quest and home, 17 miles to Lampasas and Tractor Suppy.

250c

Goldtrigger I just got back from my dove hunt in the panhandle it wasn't as good as in years past--the drought has them too. I've been thinking of trying to locate a ripper for my 250 but I want to get everything else straight first. Right now I can't get the oil plug out of the oil pan and have to take the hi-lo shift apart to find out whats wrong.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
250c, We had a great hunt at Coryell City Friday night, if I could hit anything we would have got our limit! Old black dog did wonderful, didn't miss a bird!

Saturday night we went back, the wind shift and the birds were more wary. I couldn't hit squat. No one did as good. House duties the rest of the weekend and tomorrow back to real job.

Will take advantage of this cool weather to work on the Beast in the afternoons this week. Fires are scaring me bad! Need to get the Beast moved away from the cedar push piles and into open ground in case the fire gets on my place

Goldtrigger

Occupation
More Progress

IMG00194-20110908-1625.jpgIMG00195-20110908-1625.jpgIMG00196-20110908-1626.jpgIMG00198-20110908-1627.jpgIMG00197-20110908-1626.jpgEvery day we can get to the ranch, we make a bit of progress:). The inner hub is bolted up, the fuel tank is back on, Walt got the fuel lines reconnected last evening and one of the hydraulic lines reconnected. I polished up the mating surfaces of the new final drive and the inner hub and they are ready to go together. We need to get the hydraulics finished so we can put the batteries and seat back in and start the Beast up. We use the ripper to lift the rear end off the ground to allow us to mount the final drive correctly. Between dove hunting and family visits, may not get much done for the next couple of weeks.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Old, thanks. We struggled a bit getting the inner hub all lined up and back in but once it was lined up, it greased right in. The fuel lines under the tank were a royal pain, just like everything else. The brass connectors on the bottom of the tank were ancient, bent up, and threads half gone. No one around here had anything like them. Finally raised the tank back up a couple of inches to give us some working room, lossened the line support connectors up where they are held on near the seat brackets and Walt was able to get them back on. That was after I had worried with them for two afternoons!

We began the process of hooking up the hydraulic lines to the tank and figured out the replacement hose I bought for the return line was too stiff. Got to go find that somewhere today. None of the local supply houses had the inch and half size required. Got the output line reconnected. Once the hydraulics are connected, we can refill the fuel, hydraulics and transmission with fluid and start the Beast. She hasn't been started for 4 months so that should be a chore!

malcolm

Hi from down under , you guys look to be doing ok , one question did you put the dreaded circlip back on the new shaft or did you make it easy for next tim
regards Malcolm

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Malcom, we are the bolt-a-week guys! But we are making progress. The weather has finally moderated a bit, might have rained last Saturday at the ranch, nothing at the home place yet. But it is cooler. We did put the circlips back on so the whole thing has to come apart again. But, knowing what we know now, we would start by taking the tanks off and go from there. In Washington DC this week for real job but back at it next week. Hope to finish it up in a week or so.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Thanks, D&G, It has been an interesting and sometimes fun experience. As an old auto mechanic and long ago farm mechanic, working on the Beast has been a reminder of how America used to build good equipment.

250c

Thanks, D&G, It has been an interesting and sometimes fun experience. As an old auto mechanic and long ago farm mechanic, working on the Beast has been a reminder of how America used to build good equipment.

Well said. I found I really enjoy working on the 250c not withstanding buying parts or 100 plus deg weather to put them on. I actully got to work on my stock tank this week but blew a hose yesterday. I have real world work for the next few days but I'd like to get the tank mucked out soon cause I know "its got to rain someday"

boone

Nice thread!

Agreed. Really enjoyed the progress reports and pictures. The challenges you face by not having a great place to work or the perfect tool is what makes adventures like this interesting.

We kinda expected to have to bring our loader back home by the end of this summer...figured something would need repair by now. But so far...knock on wood...I think we'll be working into the winter with it. The new teeth are holding up well in the rock!

Goldtrigger

Occupation
250C you are optimistic. I am sitting here at Dulles airport waiting to go home watching a steady rain come down. Trying to figure a way to bring some home all the way to Texas. it has rained every dang day up here this week! Listening to WBAP out of Dallas over the internet while I wait and the weather forcast is cooler weather and NO rain! At least it is a bit cooler! Got to get out to the ranch this next week and work on the Beast; at least turn a bolt or two! Bow season starts in a week!

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Yesterday was the 90th day over 100 degrees this summer! And a cool front blew in late last night! We had 7/10 on Monday and 7/10 of an inch rain last night. Just enough to collapse the sun shade I have over the work site at the Beast! Caught a double rainbow over the Beast with my cell phone camera, got the get that off and posted.

In the morning, bow season starts so we wil bow hunt early, then turn a few bolts on the BEAST!

250c

GT,I didn't get that much rain but the the temp drop was welcome. I worked the 250 some this week and I'm still getting a little warm on the really hot days (maybe the machine is smarter than me).I'm going to need 3 or 4 carriage rollers soon also.
I've got a couple of feeders running in the evening so I'll probably go sit on one of them with my crossbow but I'm more likely to have a hog show up than a deer. There are a few live oak acorns starting to fall. Not much else eat that I can see.I wish you luck tomorrow.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Well, the bow hunt didn't yield any meat on the table. I had one small doe come under the feeder. Watched her play and shy away from me. Friend Walt launched 3 arrows, all he had in the quiver, at a couple of spikes, but his sites were off, and he had to go home and rezero the bow!

We got a lot done on the Beast today! It was a gorgeous cool day, and we were able to bolt down the tanks solid, reinstall the side panels to the seat and gear control column and install the new battery box! Progress!!

I will get out this week in the afternoon and install the batteries and load it with fuel and fluids and see if it will start!!!

Next weekend is a 3 day family weekend, so no Beast work for me! Probably will be somewhere with the Boss Lady!

250c

My hunting was unproductive too. Ran the 250 yesterday morning and again this morning. I'm pretty sure my heat problem is the fan and shroud plus the coolant pressure valve leaks a little, maybe I can find some somewhere. I lost a couple of teeth off my bucket working in rock also tore off the lead edge on the side of the clam shell (note to self: "stay out of the rocks" ).
We've got family plans next weekend too I'm oncall to do pretty much what I'm told too lol. I'm starting to get my stuff together for Colorado elk season (15th) so I don't thing much is going to get done at the ranch. I don't think I have to worry about it getting too wet to work though.

surfer-joe

Anyone that carries Wix or NAPA should easily be able to provide an air filter. Also Fram or Baldwin, Donaldson. I prefer the Wix myself. Keep a close eye on the hydraulics. These machines were noted for problems, especially in the two hoist cylinders, which tended to shed packing and seals with regularity. The rods also tended to bend rather easily. Likewise, the Drott 4 in 1 buckets tended to have weak cylinders for the clam operation. This produces a droopy lip section that tends to swing loosely and won't stay closed. Generally, the two cylinders need new seals and packing, but the pistons and tubes may be scored too.

I liked operating the 175's. Easy to steer and they have a good engine and tranny.