• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 175B The Beast!

malcolm

Hi Tfphill
Ist things first check the trans filters both the washable suction filter and the replaceable paper one.
Tell me what pressure the gauge reads I think that is main clutch engagement pressure not torque converter
feed pressure . next put the brake on and rev engine to high idle and then pull it into second gear the
engine should drop 2 to3 hundred revs when you do this . try this and we will go from here regards Malcolm

wmshooke

Occupation
Mechanic
Neighbor has a 175B that's been sitting for a while because the starter keeps getting full of oil. Has had the starter pulled and rebuilt at least 2 or 3 times, and when it fails - is full of oil. Any ideas what would be pushing oil into the starter?
William

Goldtrigger

Occupation
semi-retired, computer logistics
Long time ago and and long since I sold my Beast. My only guess would be something coming from the valve cover gasket or something from the torque converter. If it isn't running down from the valve cover and somehow infiltrating the starter, then it has to be coming from inside the bell housing. My guess then would be something like a leaking main seal or torque converter.

surfer-joe

I can't remember if the bell-housing on the 175 is wet or dry. But if it is supposed to be dry, then what is likely happening is that the engine rear main seal is worn out or damaged and engine oil is getting into the bell-housing and over-pressuring it. The oil then forces it's way into the starter. You would notice a lot of black oil in the bell-housing when you remove the starter, and the oil in the starter would also be black. Two other possibilities: Either the transmission pump or the hydraulic pump are doing the same thing. That is, they are leaking past their seals and overfilling the bell-housing. If this were the case however, I believe you would see an over-filling of the engine oil as well when the other oils force their way past the rear main seal.

These are the only way that oil can get into the starter that I'm aware of.

Good Luck, and a merry Christmas!

surfer-joe

One more thought. It's possible that the transmission or torque converter are leaking around their shaft seals too. The result would be the same, that is, their oil would over-pressure the starter seal and infiltrate the inner works.

Durt

Occupation
IH Mechanic
On a power shift machine the torque housing/ bell housing has oil in it which gets dumped unless the line is plugged. Has nothing to do with the transmission seals as it is a separate housing from the transmission. I have been working on International and Dresser machinery for close to thirty years.- if that helps. It may be that the starter rebuild guy is not sealing it properly. Are you losing hydraulic fluid ?? Are you gaining engine oil??

wmshooke

Occupation
Mechanic
On a power shift machine the torque housing/ bell housing has oil in it which gets dumped unless the line is plugged. Has nothing to do with the transmission seals as it is a separate housing from the transmission. I have been working on International and Dresser machinery for close to thirty years.- if that helps. It may be that the starter rebuild guy is not sealing it properly. Are you losing hydraulic fluid ?? Are you gaining engine oil??

Thank you for all the replies!
Where would the drain line be located - how to clean/check?
Starter guy said was rebuilt with new seals.
He has not noticed any unusual fluid level changes other than typical hyd leaks.
A bit difficult to get to the starter, 3/4" bolts on top and bottom hard to reach leaning into machine, have to use extensions and electrical tape to hold bolt in socket to start in hole - and I believe the starter had to be slid into the hole on a board, and pulled from above with a strap to hold in place to start bolts.
William

wmshooke

Occupation
Mechanic
More information... he said last time they cranked the 175B loader, after running about 5 minutes there was a stream of hyd oil coming out the end of the starter about the size of your little finger.
If the drain line was stopped up, would that much oil build up? Is the housing a sump reservoir for a pump - or is there a seal blown somewhere in the housing?
It would help if we had a basic hydraulic schematic of the machine, but at this point have no documentation. They ordered an operators manual today - looking for shop manual and parts manual.
William

Mike Legg

Occupation
Retired But Still Working
Hydraulic Oil Flow in an early 175C

IMG_20141214_0001.jpgIMG_20141214_0002.jpgIMG_20141214_0003.jpg

Hopefully, you can read the attachments shown above. They show the oil flow and some comments as well.

Mike Legg

Occupation
Retired But Still Working
Sorry, one got turned upside down, maybe they will be of some help! :)