• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 175B The Beast!

Goldtrigger

Occupation
semi-retired, computer logistics
Attached are pictures of our IH 175 B which has turned into a project. As noted in our posts with Boone, we have starter problems and radiator problems. Next Saturday, God willing, we will pull the radiator and starter and begin the process of having a great running machine.

She is well worn, but the engine runs great, hydraulics work great and the rippers work great. We have pushed a mountain of cedar with her in a short time we have had her on the ranch. If we can get her fully operational, we have two ponds two work out, and two hundred acres of cedar to clear.

As you can see from the pictures, she had a rough start, the fellow we bought her from flopped her on her side trying to load her on the low boy. No real harm done. She was set to right and we have been working her about an hour at a time since then, with a hole in the radiator. :( Assuming that is all that is wrong with the Beast, we can get our job done, and move her up to our next ranch for more work!:pointhead

Attachments

• IMG00016-20100505-1449.jpg
    IMG00016-20100505-1449.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 5,316
  • IMG00023-20100512-1720.jpg
    IMG00023-20100512-1720.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 5,308
  • IMG00038-20100526-1343.jpg
    IMG00038-20100526-1343.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 5,216

boone

Wow! It definitely looks better right-side up. :eek: Bet that was a scary ride, not to mention extremely dangerous! I guess the guy who loaded it is okay.

Glad you've gotten some good use out of it since then. I know you're going to get the radiator recorred, but your over heating issue brought this thread to mind. Might be something to check if you still have issues.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=13437&highlight=overheating

Thanks for the pics!

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Boone, fan belts are tight, tight enough we can turn the crank to move the flywheel around to get it started by pulling on the fan. The thermostat may be the problem, but still have to deal with the radiator leak. We tried some stop leak but no joy. Leak is about 10 inches up from the bottom of the radiatior. Do not know if it was there before she was flopped on her side or not but it is definitely there now.

When she went over on her side, the sun cover-not-quite ROPS we got with her kept her from going all the way over and killing the fellow who was driving her. The auxillary hydraulic tank on the left side was not bolted down and fell on him, really brusing him up. Other wise, he was just glad it didn't go all the way over!

boone

Yeah, get the radiator fixed and try a thermostat. While you have the radiator off it would be a good time to replace the water pump unless you could verify it's circulating the water.

Maybe you can inspect your flywheel ring gear once you get the starter off. Would be nice if you could get by with just replacing the starter gear.

Ahhh, the joys of buying used. Keep us posted on your progress.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Boone, that is the idea, radiator, thermostat, and water pump. We will see if we can get a mirror on the flywheel and check the teeth. Sure hope it isn't buggered.

boone

Great find! Glad you found some without having to pay out the nose to have them fabricated. I see several decomissioned machines on machinerytrader. My mouth was watering looking at all those 4-1 buckets.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Boone, me too. I want to get the Beast running before I chump off any more money for a 4-1. I have a pond to dig and my ranch partner has his to clean out. The 4-1 would be ideal for that!

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Don't you just love old iron!! We power washed the pans this Saturday and pulled the water pump to replace it. When we got the belts off, the lower main pulley was loose and had over 1/4 turn of play in it. The main nut was loose, almost stripped; someone had tried to tighten it with a chisel. We got it off, the woodruff key was over half eaten away and the front main seal was shot.

Today we got the thermostat in and the main seal removed and re-bolted the dash board back in place.

Hopefully this week, the radiator, oil cooler, track expander and new belts, hoses, and main seal will be in so next weekend we can start putting some of this stuff back on!!

boone

Great thing about old iron is you get to find all the little gremlins. At least your finding it now!

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Two steps forward, three steps backward. Received the radiator and oil cooler from Chartrand, all in a 175C nose, complete. We removed the 175B nose from the Beast, lifted the C nose off the pallet it was shipped on to install it, and found a chink in the radiator!! So--we removed the C radiator and oil cooler from the C nose and it is back to Waco to see if the radiator can be repaired.

Believe it can be, but who knows. We are all ready for it. Decided the B nose is going have to go back on, as is the top tank from the B radiator, in order to get the hood to work right; as is the front radiator guard, which did not come with the C nose and won't fit the C nose without some serious fabrication.

Belts are on, front main seal is in, just need to resolve this radiator problem. Believe the C oil cooler will work fine, if it all checks out.

Last edited:

Goldtrigger

Occupation
The good folks up at Waco fixed the radiator in about an hour!!!! Upon close examination, it appears the radiator was stabbed (just barely) with a fork lift blade, just enough to break one tube on the radiator. No way to tell who did it. The truck line who delivered the radiator from Chartrand noted damage on the ticket so could be and Chartrand was kind enough to pick up the bill for the repair, great folks up there, do business with them if you can.

Maybe we can get it on Saturday and back to work. Got to find an air filter. Three tries through the local parts house with no joy. May have to make the 50 mile drive to the Komatsu dealter!

boone

Good news that the radiator is repairable and even better that Chartrand picked up the repair bill. You're going to be a pro at changin out that radiator, we'll know who to call if we ever need to change out ours. :)

We had to pick up our filters (primary and secondary) at Komatsu. They mistakenly gave us the wrong secondary and we had to go back and swap it. Make sure they give you the right one!

Goldtrigger

Occupation
I plan to carry the old one down there if Car Quest can't find one. The number match produced one about 18 inches long. The one on the loader is nearly 24 inches long. Same diameter.

Boone, did you change your surge filters?

I plan to carry the old one down there if Car Quest can't find one. The number match produced one about 18 inches long. The one on the loader is nearly 24 inches long. Same diameter.

I got my air filter from NAPA, It might have been a 2284 which is what is listed for the early 175B's with a single air filter element in the napa book. The dimensions on that filter are 16.3 long by 9.9 diameter. open on one end with a bolt hole on the other and a plastic fin on the outside near the open end. If it has an inner and outer filter it's probably a 2950 for the outer, which shows 22.8 long and 8.5 dia. The inner, then would be a 2951, 21.5 long and 5.2 dia. Obviously 22 is a lot closer to 24 than 16, so even if your machine only has one filter in it, It's still probably the 2950 and someone just left out the other one.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Yellowrose, mine is a single filter, but maybe they left out the other. The parts book shows one filter but no diminsions, so I can't tell. Car Quest claims they found it now and it will be in Monday.

Raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock out here now, so it will be muddy as heck out there Saturday, if we can get in to work at all. Hope to finish up the radiator install, put the starter back in and see if she will crank!

I will go by Car Quest tomorrow and pick up the old filter and see if there possible could have been a second filter in there somewhere.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Saturday we mounted the radiator and oil cooler in the 175 B nose and mounted it back on the loader. We are in the plumbing business now. We had to order radiator hoses to match the new radiator to the engine and we need to find fittings to hook up the oil cooler.

With luck, we will have the hood modified to match the new radiator fill cap, the hoses and oil cooler fittings set and a new air filter all to put in next Saturday. And we burned our big brush pile early Saturday morning; pushed cedar burns pretty well even when it is wet from rain!

boone

I'm not sure which filter that one is, but the answer is yes. :) We changed every filter on the machine.

Sounds like your making some headway on the nose. Look forward to hearing when you have it running again. We're just now making our brush piles. :usa

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Yellowrose, there was a second filter up in there and got that ordered to day. We finally got everything back together and got her started tonight. Exepected a leak and found one, but not where we expected. A freeze plug under the forward fuel filter has a pin hole leak right in the middle. I guess we never had enough pressure on the old radiator to find it before.

Fred Dillard at Dillard Welding did a bang up job on the hood modification, it fits perfect. The plumbing for the C radiator was a bit of a challenge to mate up to the B machine. We used several different pieces of 3' hose and some stainless tail pipe to fit it all together.

The good news is, she started right up after sitting for five weeks. The bad news is, she is still propped up against the tree while we get the freeze plug out and replaced!!

Last edited:

boone

Congrats Goldtrigger! Freeze plug shouldn't be too bad compared to what you've done. It's always something. We knew we had a hydraulic leak on both bucket curl cylinders. One was pouring pretty bad at the end of last Friday. Figured we were going to have to do a seal job, but after a full day of work on Saturday all the hydraulic cylinders had stopped leaking - and yes we had full tank of fluid. Turns out it just needed to be used and lubricated. After working ours this weekend I know now why you refer to yours as the Beast...lol!