• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 175B The Beast!

boone

Great job on getting the final off! That's a slick way of lifting the tanks off too.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
semi-retired, computer logistics
Boone, the lift method worked. When you are 15 miles from town and have no access to another tractor, it worked fine. We used a come-along to do the radiator, but we didn't have the gator then. I could have used the winch on my pickup, but the gator winch is more precise.

After long consultation with Willie at Chartrand and emailing pictures to him, we are now convinced the pinion shaft we have can be modified to work. Just need to cut the snap ring grooves and we will be good to go. I will go out to the ranch in the morning and pull the brake gear to take to the machine shop so we get the exact cuts we need on the new shaft.

I need to go look at your battery box modiifcation. While I am waiting on the pinion shaft to have the snap ring grooves cut, I am rebuilding the battery tray. As with yours, my batteries were just sitting in there with no hold down. The oak tie downs look good. My battery tray is rusted/corroded completely gone. Picked up some angle iron today to start building a new tray.

By the way, for you guys who need parts, Willie, Carol, and Duane at Chartrand have been just super in helping us with technical advice free of charge on this thing. Can't say enough good things about them.

Last edited:

Goldtrigger

Occupation
OldandWorn, the ripper buffer is the large spring looking device laying on the ground. It mounts on the left side of the fuel tank plate and has a hydraulic line feeding into the base of it. When it is hooked up and activated, it allows the rippers to "float", that is maintain a constant down pressure and if they hit a big rock or something, to take the shock in the ripper buffer rather than blowing a hydraulic line or pump.

We have used the rippers some, did not realize the buffer was not hooked up, thought it was as the line was running into the base of the buffer but was capped off. The rippers worked fine, guess we never hit a big enough rock!

boone

I was going to ask if you were using the Komatsu dealer for any of your parts...was curious about parts availability? Sounds like Chartrand has been providing great service with parts and more. Will keep that in mind.

We were somewhat lucky on the battery box. All it needed was the plywood floor, threaded rod and the oak clamps. It's working well. On our second power wash we found a bunch of junk under the brake pulleys. It was dirt hardened like concrete. Had to dig it out with a screw driver. Used lots of ProForce degreaser from Sams. Like you, we thought we did a pretty thorough job on cleaning the first time but discovered we missed a bunch. :D

Goldtrigger

Occupation
More work to be done!

While it has been down, I finally pulled the belly plates and cleaned that area out, geeze what a mess. As with yours, there must have been 10 years worth of dirt junk, lost bolts and tools and geasey muck piled up insided each plate. I used my old Army entrenching tool to clear the rocks and dirt out from under the Beast to get up under there, plus to ensure the rattlers had not moved in since it has been sitting for 6 months. I used a pointing trowell to dig most of the junk out of the belly area! A lot of my belly plate bolts had not been put in correctly and had come loose and were half bent over, so I had to work them out with Vise Grips and in one case, cut it off with a grinder, then I retapped all the threads. I used new bolts with flat washers and lock washers to put them back on. Somewhere in the history of the loader, the front plate had been lost and a home-made one had been put on. It was bent in half, we used the rippers to raise the loader up and lower the back end of the loader on to the plate to flatten it. Went back on a lot better!

I am hauling the power washer back out this Saturday and we will power wash everything on top again. We will have to change all the fluids in the transmission box and the hydraulics. The hydraulic fluid that came out looked like milk! Just another expense!

Car Quest has been the best for miscelaneous parts (belts, hoses, filters, seals). The nearest Komatsu dealer is 90 miles, so we haven't tried them. For IH specific stuff, we have gone with Chartrand or Traxx or Brown International. Brown is good, but expensive.

Walt came over tonight, and as Willie at Chartrand explained to us, the new shaft will work fine. We put the brake gear on it and measured it every way possible. Just need to get it to a machine shop to have the snap ring grooves cut.:DIMG00143-20110620-1432[1].jpgIMG00142-20110620-1432[1].jpg

Last edited:

malcolm

Hi
good to see some progress . One question do you really need the circlips
we went for years with out them I can not see what they do apart from hold
the remains of the disc onto the shaft in a complete melt down. Every thing is
held in place by the outer housing any way . so what is the point just a thought
regards Malcolm

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Malcom, we considered that. The brake gear could probably get by with only one circlip on the front side, just to ensure it stays in place. As you say, the early models didn't have them and the circlip grooves are really shallow, could almost be cut with a Dremel tool if we were careful. We will see what the machine shop guy says. If it is too much money, the Dremel tool and one clip may be the way to go!

boone

Checking for rattlers in the belly is good idea! :eek: We had a snake encounter last Saturday, but nothing serious. I'll try to put up a post about it.

Glad you'll be replacing the milky fluid. Changing out all of those fluids really adds up. It's really getting hot here and I can only imagine your working conditions. My hat's off to you and Walt! Do you guys have much cedar left to push and ponds to dig for the Beast?

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Boone, if we pushed all the cedar we needed to push, we have about 50 acres left to push. Won't get that much done with the Beast. Plan now is to sell the Beast about 1 August and rent a straight blade in the Fall after it cools off. Let someone else pay the maintenance and we can buy the fuel and transportation costs. We can lease a JD 450 for $1200 for 40 hours with a 6 way blade. Believe it will do all we need done. The USDA will pay a pittance to push cedar but they want to tell you where and how much and lots of other restrictions. I am not interested in letting them back on my place.

Found a machine shop in Lampasas that is cutting the snap ring grooves for $20. Will have it done by tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning. Got the seal for the shaft from Car Quest for $15. Picked up a gallon of Purple Power wash to cut the grease off when we power wash Saturday. Maybe we can get started on reassembly Saturday, high temp is expected to be 100 so it will be an early start and an early stop! Next week I am in DC on my real job then it off to vacation so won't get back to it real soon, but we'll see what we can get done! Don't want to forget how to put it back together!

boone

Can't blame you for wanting to sell after it's back up and running. At this point it probably would make more economical sense to lease. Guess you could make a capital hit in a newer machine and hope to sell later at close to the same price. But that's a risk and like you alluded to, you'd still be on the hook for maintenance and potential breakdowns. Newer JD450 would probably be a quicker machine too if it can push up cedars well.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
From what I have seen the newer JD 450 is an all joystick machine, much easier and quicker to operate. Cedar is not hard to push most of the time, some of my trees are 40 foot tall with 15 foot root balls, but they don't go very deep. The advantage of the Beast is I can get up high with the bucket and lean them over, then scoop the root ball out with a second move!

I have a lot of clean up to do if we can ever get enough rain to burn the piles we have pushed already. Once burned, as you know, the root balls, leave dirt mounds that need to be smoothed out. My ultimate goal still, is to build a pond on the southeast corner of the place. We were just about ready to start on it when the final drive broke. We had about 10 acres more cedar to clear then begin the dirt work. Whether the boss lady of the house will agree to all I want to do with the 450 remains to be negotiated!

At noon today, I will go out and set up the sun shade and power wash the Beast in prep for work tomorrow. Have to run over to Lampasas and pick up the reworked shaft after that!

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Just How Much Water can We Run Throuh a Hub to Wash it Out!!

Last Saturday, a very!! warm day, we started the process of washing out the crap off the loader and the final drive inner hub. An unbelievable amount of shavings were still inside the drive hub from the chewed-up gear:Banghead. We used a gallon of Purple Power on the outside of the loader and in the inner hub and finally filled it up with diesel and still had to go get another 55 gallons of water to finish flushing the shavings out.

We have a Superfund site from waste oil and crap we have washed out on the ground around the Beast. Once we have it running again, we will stack a huge pile of cedar on that place and burn, assuming it ever rains again in Texas. The ground is so oil soaked now, it burns well all by itself:eek:

Finished the battery box rebuild and the overall clean off the top of the Beast. Now with a clean outer final drive hub, we can start putting parts together this weekend. Happy 4th of July!:)

Attachments

• IMG00151-20110625-1102[1].jpg
    IMG00151-20110625-1102[1].jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 882
  • IMG00143-20110620-1432[1].jpg
    IMG00143-20110620-1432[1].jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:

boone

Battery box is looking good and that transmission case looks much cleaner! :cool:

Speaking of batteries - I may be buying two new batteries for ours. They're 7 years old and almost didn't turn the engine over last Saturday we worked. Dad was going to ride over to the farm and check them today as we have a work day planned on the 5th. Don't want to get over there early and find out it doesn't crank. :mad:

Goldtrigger

Occupation
The finished battery box with the wood floor plate and wood hold downs looks even better. I copied your design and it works really well.:)

I have had to buy one new battery so far, it just would not hold a charge. I brought my oldest (2009) battery in from the ranch Saturday and put it on the trickle charger. It took all night Saturday, all day Sunday, and when I left for DC early Monday, it was finally up to snuff. I was afraid it was bad, but it came back!!:notworthy

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Reassembly is Underway!

IMG00180-20110820-07181.jpgIMG00186-20110820-07291.jpgIMG00178-20110820-07171.jpgIMG00177-20110820-07171.jpgIMG00187-20110820-07301.jpgIt has been a long hot summer in Texas and it continues! Sunday, August 28, was the hotest day ever in my town, 112 degrees :tong. We are making slow progress on reassembly of the Beast. Last Saturday, we got the inner hub assembly back together with the brake pack and new shaft and got it bolted back up to the loader! Took lots of pushing and shoving and bad words but it is all bolted back up. Pictures show prepration of the inner hub before bolt up. Had to scrub down the surface before mating so we could hope for a good seal! We got the brake actuator and cable assembly reconnected, access plate back on and remounted the fuel and hydulic tank, but did not get them bolted back down, got too hot by noon, so we quit. I went out this morning and took a look at the fuel and hydraulic tank; it is going to take some additional jacking around to get it back in the right position to bolt it down. I worked on one broken off bolt in the tank bed, bored it out, now have to extract the bolt remains and rethread it tomorrow morning. I hope by next Saturday, I will have the tanks bolted down and we can start on clean up of the outside of the inner hub and moving the outer final drive for final assembly. Goal is to have it all back together by 1 October!!:)

250c

Your right about the heat, this has been a long summer. Hope it's a little cooler on you in sept. I've been serviceing the 250C and have a little heating issue but dove season starts thursday and it will be real hard to stay focused.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
250 c

You are so right! We will be up at Coryell City Friday night to shoot doves. And again Saturday night! Makes it hard to stay focused on Beast repair.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Old, we could not have a BBQ fire out there. No rain since May, dry as a pop corn fart out there. 255 counties in Texas under burn ban. If we ever get rain and get the Beast running again, we will move some of our cedar piles on top of our HUGE oil spill and burn up the oil soaked dirt currently under the Beast.:eek:

The big yellow spring looking device is the hydraulic buffer for the ripper. Weighs about 150lbs and has a one way hydraulic line entrance at it's base. When the rippers are down and pushing, it allows the rippers to "float". If we hit a big rock etc, and the rippers kick up, the hydraulic oil is surged into the hydraulic buffer and not blow a hydraulic line! That is the way it is supposed to work. We thought it was all hooked up, but when we disassembled everything, we found the buffer was capped off and the line going to it was capped off. We may try to hook it back up upon reassembly. Question we have, why was it capped off? Did it leak or something? Guess we will find out.