• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 175B The Beast!

Goldtrigger

Occupation
semi-retired, computer logistics
Surfer, we just need to get it running again! We were able to find all our filters at Car Quest, especially nice during a big sale they had last Spring! So far, knock on wood, our cylinders have held up well. We have a lot of slop in the knuckles so that may help take some of the stress!

When running, the Beast works easy, just a bear to keep going. Lot of hours of maintenance for a few hours production.

dhutch

Boone,

Great pics, great post!! I had some time off yesterday and read through it all. It makes me miss my 'ol 955H I bought just before heading over here to Afghanistan. I'll be home in a couple of months and will get to do basically the same to it as you did yours. The rails are worn out and the sprockets and rollers arent much better. The D330T runs good. I'm having an issue with it pulling though. I've had time to research over the last 10 months and think or hope its a bad hose that connects two steel lines for the suction side of the pump. Then there's my TD9B, it runs/works pretty well, but needs some previous repairs (previous owners) redone to be right.
Keep the info and pics going.

boone

dhutch, that's very kind of you to say. I can't take credit for Goldtrigger's thread and the work on the Beast though LOL! He's tackling a whole different area of his machine. I'll be seeking his advice on undercarriage work if we ever have to tackle it.

Hope you get home from Afghanistan soon and are able to get your 955H going. There is a local 955 I've driven by to look out of curiosity. Looks very similar in size to the 175. I'm sure it would make a good farm tractor. What type work do you have planned for yours?

Goldtrigger, any updates on your final drive?

Goldtrigger

Occupation
dHutch, Also hope you get home soon. Boone and I have been keeping each other posted for a long time on two very different machines. Boone's has made his almost new; I am just trying to get mine running again! Boone, hunting season is underway and we have stopped work on the Beast for more important things. Everything is ready to go to put the outer hub on, just got to figure out a way to lift up (about 800 lbs) and mate it up. Got to get back at it next weekend!

boone

I understand that. We've been deferred awhile too with other family obligations. My brother cut the place couple of weekends ago so it's not so grown up. Without grazing animals, a place can get unkempt in a hurry. Maybe we should've bought some goats! :D

Last edited:

dhutch

Goldtrigger,
I apologize for jumping in on your thread. I had read through Boone's post on rebuilding the front half of his loader, I didnt realize you were doing the back half of yours. Great post and pics. I'll be following along on this one as well. HOpefully you'll get it going soon. I understand hunting season though. Turkey season will be coming in about the time I get back to Tennessee, then the bass bite and so on and so on...............

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Progress at LAST!

DSCF15331.jpgDSCF15411.jpgDSCF15401.jpgDSCF15341.jpgDSCF15351.jpg:) We made good progress this past weekend. The final drive is on!:notworthy. The batteries are back in and the engine turned over first try!. Just need to finish tightening up everything, put the ripper buffer back on and get the track back together. Next weekend we will see if we can get the buffer back on and the fluids back in. Pictures follow:

Last edited:

malcolm

Bugger you guys have all the fun and I only have my ride on mower to fix these days
all looking good cheers Malcolm

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Malcolm, wish you were here to lend your expertise and strong back! That inner hub and final drive was a major grunt and groan to shove in place. We used the bar on the top of the sun cover and a come-along to lift the final drive and the winch on the Kubota gator to pull it close. Finally, we had to drive back to town and buy a couple of longer 5/8 bolts to pull it in the last two inches! I went back out last night and made sure everything was secure and covered as we may have a shower tomorrow night! Still no significant rain here and none expected till next March!

And, I just winterized my riding mower but will probably have to cut the weeds one more time before it is parked in the shed for the last time this year!

boone

Sweet! That final seems like it would be very awkward and unbalanced to lift and mount. Your on the downhill side of things now. I know your ready to get it finished up.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Rep;y to Boone

Boone, I certainly hope it is downhill! It has been a long tedious job. We call it a bolt a week project! Seems like every time we go out there, we need something from back in town!

I was pleased when I got the batteries back in and hit the starter, the engine turned over, sweet! Used your battery hold down design and it works well.IMG00211-20111027-14371.jpg[

dhutch

Great job Goldtrigger, hope everything else works out with no surprises. Looking forward to pics of the Beast working.

boone

Looks good! That ought to keep those batteries in place.

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Engineer (AT UNI), Heavy equipment owner/ operator
Goldtrigger, absolutely smashing thread, the little loader is a real credit to you. :D Do you think it is more of a technical challenge to work on these machines or more just of the large size of everything? And is there a good way of unfreezing tracks to put back on the machine?

Cheers

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Farmer Alex. No great technical challenge at all. Our biggest problem has been a lack of experience with this particular machine and terrible repair manuals. The help we have received from guys on this forum has been invaluable! It is all standard stuff, and it is big and heavy, but nothing technically complicated. We have Aggie engineered half a dozen solutions in the field to problems we would have never had if we were in the shop. I know you guys down under consider our 15 mile distance a joke but it always seems the exact bolt we need to finish a task is either not found on site or broken or stripped. Whether the track will come over the final easily next week will be another matter;) I know of no easy way other than a big sledge.

Example. This past weekend, after a very successful deer hunting session (a ten point, a spike, and a doe) we gathered to put the final touches on the final drive. We got all the bolts on the final torqued and decided to use the come-along rig to lift the ripper buffer up before we took it down. Got the buffer up (it weighs about 300 lbs) and in place and could only find one of the two bolts needed to cinch it down!:mad: The other bolt we had used earlier in the process to weld an extension on it an effort to bolt the final up, so it was ruined. Bottom line, the buffer is up, but not fully bolted down. Had to take the welded bolt with me when we left the Beast and take the bolt 15 miles back to town to buy another. Oh well, another day in paradise!

Boone, finally found some paint! Ace hardware has Cat yellow in spray cans. We used about five cans this past weekend to cover a lot of the scuff marks on the Beast. Looks a lot better!

Last edited:

Goldtrigger

Occupation
It was a good opening weekend for gun season! Weather was perfect. Boss Lady tells me we got a little rain today, hope some fell on the ranch! i am in DC this week on my real job. More rain expected tomorrow, we can only hope; maybe get the burn ban lifted in Lampasas County!

boone

You planning on using the Beast any after you get it buttoned up or put it up for sale immediately? Maybe you guys will get some rain this week. We have a little expected Wednesday. Temps are suppose to get cold here next couple of days. We're planning a work day on Friday with two tractors and the loader running. Friday morn is expected to be upper 20's. :eek: The 466 has started with ease in low 50's, haven't tried much below that...not sure how she'll handle the 20's.

Goldtrigger

Occupation
Boone, maybe just a little. Have to move the Beast about a quarter mile up to the ranch entrance to make it easier to load when we sell it. I also need to move a couple of the dead cedar piles over the spot it has been sitting for the last year to cover the oil soak so when we do get to burn, we can burn the oil out of the soil.

Also, in my north 11 acre field, in the middle there is a small tree patch of about 10 cottonwood trees that I would like to push down and move out of the way. It would make it a lot easier for my cowboy to plow when planting. There is a spring in that area, so have to be careful and not make too big a hole or it may make a small sink there. Other than that, I just want to get it up to the entrance so we can get it sold. Long range plan is still to rent a straight blade late next Spring and finish our planned pond on the southeast corner.

The Old Beast was running so well when it broke and hopefully will still run as good when we get this part finished. It is an incredibly powerful machine. If it had a decent undercarriage (tracks are worn out), it would really be good for pond work. It would push and scoop a full bucket of tough caliche dirt with no problem. We have put it back together a lot better than it was when it broke. Like you did with yours, lots of new bolts where bolts were missing or stripped, all new filters and lubricants, and by the way, ain't that stuff expensive:tong. Whomever buys it will get a better machine than I got when I bought it.

The Beast starts easily with ether. Just keep shooting it till it gets going. Coldest we have started it is about 40. It is raining at home right now, don't know how much, any is better than what we have been getting. Cowboy planted oats 16-19 Oct and they are just getting going. The deer we shot were full of them. Rain will give them a good start.

Last edited:

Goldtrigger

Occupation
A little more progress this weekend. More paint, seated the ripper buffer and bolted it down. Walt brought out his new toy, a Miller Bobcat 250 and welded the semi-ROPS sun cover a little better.

Today I acquired a new hydraulic hose to hook up the buffer and after one trip to Copperas Cove and one trip to Lampasas to get the right pipe fittings, I figured out I am going to have to unbolt it, hook up the come-along and lift the buffer about three inches so I can connect the hydraulic hose correctly. That dang buffer weighs about 350 pounds! I hate these short days! Ran out of daylight!:eek: I did get the operator's seat back in place and bolted down and the arm rests on the seat repaired with duck tape!

Rain expected tonight. Hope it is more than the .7 inches we have gotten during each of the last 3 frontal passages!