• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

keito

Radiator Flush D21A6

Can anyone enlighten me from their experience on flushing the radiator. My machine seems to be running a little warm with the summer coming upon us in the South. It is hot as hell! Anybody got any pointers on how to keep them cool. I thought about going to a new fan, replacing the belt for better fan pulling, changing and flushing the cooling etc.Thanks for the information.

bubbagoat

Occupation
Engineer
I pressure washed out the radiator on my Mitsubishi BS3F and washed the inside what I could reach, then flushed the coolant system for what seemed like hours till the water ran clear. I had to pull off the skid pan, and opened up a drain **** (port) on the radiator as well as one on the heat exchanger, before I could get it cleared up. Filled it back up with antifreese and it seems better.

Some here say they run them with water only in Japan and they rust internally. Based on what I see, that is probably true. I have rust scum building up in the new coolant again, but it is not bad yet. I'll flush it one more time this fall and put new coolant in it again.

Bubbagoat

Last edited:

Glen2

Occupation
retired
Thank you Darin

I have a homade rake on the front of my D21p-6. It torked the blade and broke the crane, (yoke that holds the blade). Darin suggested it was so bad I should replace it. I could not find one that was economically feasible to replace it. I took it to Kents welding shop down the road and they cut it open, threw away all the bent and dammaged parts, strighted the front pivot point, and rebuilt the crane with 1/2 in steel plate. After testing it for a couple of weeks, i went by today and thanked them for a job well done. Expensive but well done. $1300. Darin, Thank you for your help and suggestions. :) G

Darrentaylor

I'm trying to figure out why my D20s wont move. it blew a hyrdo cylinder that i just got rebuilt and notice it seemed to stop rolling when the fluid went low. but not that thy hydrolics are fixed it one nudges back and forth some. Will go in gear but not moving. Anyone have ideas i might try? thanks

Darrentaylor

Komatsu d20s track loader

D20s track loader while putting a load on the motor made odd sound and lost power. Won’t hold and idle and keeps stalling. Also wont throttle
up the motor. Would just a clogged fuel filter do this?

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
Hello Darren, Yes try cleaning the banjo bolt on the bottom of the lift pump. That is the little pump that you pump by hand so you can bleed the fuel system when drained. Also at that time change the fuel filter. When cleanign the banjo bolt you will have to crimp the fuel supply line so your tank doesn't drain. :) Good luck

So I take it you are now able to move the D20S around?

Darrentaylor

d20s will run but wont roll. was moving when you toggled the track handels back and forth and finally started moving but once i shut it down it wont roll any further.

Darrentaylor

yes I got it started. Thanks.. the whole fuel system was full of CRAP!! holy cow. put it under pressure and i couldnt believe what came out of the lines!!! had to remove the fuel tank to continue cleaning everything out. bottomline were running but NOT rolling..... i'm so frustrated with this thing..

Frank Dozer

Hi Prowler, How did you do with the track adjusters? Frank
New and not sure if I'm making this entry correctly. I have purchased a D21A-5 and I am trying to free up on of the track adjusters. I have read that they get rusty and will stick. I have tried injecting grease, but did not go. I have removed the fill valve/zirk and grease will pass through the zirk, but the yoke will not move. I have tried pulling on the idler to pull the yoke out, but no good there. I am afraid to open the zirk and try to retract the adjuster for fear I wont get it to expand to were I started. I have even spayed wd40 and a penetrating oil along the yoke shaft. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks and have a safe Memorial Day weekend.

Last edited:

prowler

Frank, I have tried everything I could think of to free the adjuster, except the porta power welded directly on the adjuster valve idea. I have decide it will be a good winter project and I want to get some use out of the machine before fixing something else. I will take it easy on the machine until the adjuster is fixed, the track slack is not too bad yet. Maybe working the machine will help brake the adjuster loose, if I'm lucky. I need to make sure I have a source for a new track adjuster cylinder in case it decides to blow out from the pressure from the porta power.

JimInOz

Mitsubishi S4E -2 Part required

Hi Fellas,
Looking to buy a HEAD for a Mitsubishi S4E/S4E-2 engine.
My client has a Mitsy WS400 Loader,& I think it runs the S4E or S4E-2 engine.
Also need 4 glow plugs for the S4E engine ....# 30666-51301.

Thanks..Jim (Australia).

reddog848

Occupation
retired
Replacement heads and plugs

Call Wynn @ 903-865-1220 At East Tex Imports, He will have the plugs for sure and probably will have a head.:)
Fred

IFlyLow

I have a d21 a-5 and I cant get a clear answer on what to put in the hydraulic tank. I just rebuilt both lift cyl.and would like to start with fresh fluid. Two dealers have told me two different oils. both of which I cant find here. Can I use regular 15w-40 rotilla,or, hydraulic fluid ? Also, one gave me a part # for the hyd.filter that worked out to be the same filter as the oil filter !!! Is this right.
Thanks to all for the help,
Sam Evans. "TenAlaSippi" Pickwick lake

sethc

help newbie

hi all i have a d20p-7 just drained fluid out of second drain access port toward rear of dozer. was unsure of location of screen/filter to clean.after reading forum i believe it takes 30 wt would fill location be @ dipstick. any one ever find a shop manual for this model that`s not over 600$?also i drove dozer up short driveway with brake on :Banghead and now have no brakes can u tighten brake on this unit ?

sethc

fluids specs

I have a d21 a-5 and I cant get a clear answer on what to put in the hydraulic tank. I just rebuilt both lift cyl.and would like to start with fresh fluid. Two dealers have told me two different oils. both of which I cant find here. Can I use regular 15w-40 rotilla,or, hydraulic fluid ? Also, one gave me a part # for the hyd.filter that worked out to be the same filter as the oil filter !!! Is this right.

http://berryhillfarm.us/Dozer/scan0006.jpg

monkey

not sure on the 21, I have a 31 and it calls for 10w in the hydraulic tank.....I have been using hydraulic fluid. I let someone borrow it awhile back and they had put the hydraulic fluid in it, they ran it quite awhile with no problems and I just keep using the hydraulic fluid now

monkey

Guess I need to drain it out :confused:, did a little searching, some say it's fine and others:
OIL RECOMMENDATIONS FOR KOMATSU PRODUCTS FOR NORMAL AMBIENT CONDITIONS

Previously, the selection of the correct lubricant to use in Komatsu products was very simple as, with very few exceptions, either a SAE 10W or a SAE 30 weight engine oils were used in all compartments. There were a few exceptions, like the one in the fine print of the Operation and Maintenance Manual that recommended the use of Tractor Hydraulic Fluid in wheel loader axles instead of engine oil, but generally it was either SAE10W or SAE 30 engine oil.

However, recent developments in friction materials that allow more compact clutch designs, and the creation of engine oils that are so slippery they prevent the positive engagement of transmission clutch packs have created the need for specialized lubricants and hydraulic fluid. Additionally, the apparent autonomy of the KAIC Parts Department in promoting “branded” oil has, to a certain degree, confused the situation.

Thus, the purpose of this memorandum is to provide clear information on the selection of oils that accurately reflect Komatsu’s recommendations as expressed or discussed in the following:

* Applicable Operation and Maintenance Manuals.
* P&SN A930243 of 12/09/1993. Hydraulic Oil Selection WA700-1, WA800-1.
* Installation Manual (P&SN) BA00013 of 11/01/2000. Transmission Oil.
* Installation Manual (P&SN) BT02024A of 08/05/2002. WA Axle Oil.
* P&SN AR01050 of 11/30/2001. Friction Modifiers in WB140-2, WB150-2 axles.
* Ohkawa, S., Konishi, A., Hatano, H. and Voss, D. “Pump Failures in Various Type Hydraulic Fluids” Hydraulic Failure Analysis: Fluids, Components, and System Effects ASTM STP 1339, G.E. Totten, D.K. Wills, and D. Feldmann, Eds., American Society for Testing and Materials. Deals with the effects of different types of hydraulic fluids on a Komatsu HPV35+35 piston pump.
* Komatsu Parts Policy Letter (PPL) 649 of November 15, 2002.
* P&SN AR00051 of 11/27/2000.

ENGINE OILS
For operation in temperatures above +50F, the best choice of oil would be SAE15W-40. As a minimum, this oil must meet API specification CD, CD/SF. The currently effective CF-4 is better, the 1998 CH-4 specification is better yet, but the just released CI-4 is the best yet. CI-4 will be required for the new generation engines that use very low sulfur fuels and exhaust gas recirculation or EGR. Consult the Operation and Maintenance Manual for recommendations below +50F.

TRANSMISSION OILS

* Komatsu Bulldozers, Wheel Loaders, Trucks and Graders with planetary transmissions:
o SAE30 engine oil may be used if it meets the older API CD Specification. According to P&SN BA00013, do not use oils meeting the new CF-4, CG-4, or subsequent specifications in this series. They are too slippery and failures may result.

o Specially formulated power train oils may be used. These are identified by Komatsu as TO10, TO30 and TO50. The Komatsu America product equivalent to SAE 30 CD engine oil is Heavy Duty Trans Fluid 30, which has been, renamed Power Train Oil TO.

* Komatsu Bulldozers Such as D32E-1A, D32P-1A, D38E-1A, D39E-1A, D39P-1A, and –3 Wheel Loaders with countershaft transmissions:
o Selecting the correct oil for these transmissions can be particularly confusing as the O&M Manuals for these tractors direct the use of SAE10W Heavy Duty Transmission Fluid (HDTF), but Parts Policy Letter (PPL) 649 of November 15th, 2002 states that HDTF has been renamed Powertrain Oil TO. PPL 649 further states that it will replace API CD engine oils previously recommended in Komatsu powershift transmissions.

o Installation Manual (P&SN) BA00013 specifically deals with the new Komatsu transmission oil specifications and makes the following points:
+ Do not use CF-4, CG-4, or subsequent specifications engine oils in Komatsu transmissions (they are too slippery).

+ TO10, TO30, and TO50 transmission oils are the recommended replacement for SAE10W, 30 and 50 weight CD engine oils.

+ The formulation of these Komatsu branded TO oils is so close to the Allison C4 or Caterpillar TO-4 specification that the use of oils meeting these specifications won’t hurt anything.

* Komatsu –1 Wheel Loaders with countershaft transmissions:
o Same as above, but use the SAE30 weight grade.

KOMATSU WHEEL LOADERS AND GALION DERIVED KOMATSU GRADER AXLES AND BRAKES
The correct lubricant to prevent brake chatter is what Komatsu refers to as HTF or Hydraulic Trans Fluid. The Komatsu part number is 1400138H2. It is generally known in the industry as a Tractor Hydraulic Fluid or THF, and is specially formulated to enhance the smooth operation of wet brakes. Other similar products are Chevron 1000 THF (Previously Chevron Tractor Hydraulic Fluid.) and Mobilfuid 424. P&SN/Installation Manual BT02024A of August 5, 2002 concerns Axle Oils for Wheel Loaders.

If one of the previously recommended oils is not available, an alternate oil for these applications is SAE 30 weight CD engine oil that has been treated with not more that three percent (3%) by volume Friction Modifier 1400117H91. It is important that the 3% mix ratio not be exceeded, as the effectiveness of the brakes will be reduced. (It is understood that if the brakes are accidentally “overdosed” with Friction Modifier, brake operation will usually return to normal after the mixture has been reduced to 3% or less in 50 to 100 hours of operation. This occurs because Friction Modifier is a “sacrificial surface treatment” that wears off.) Please P&SN AR01050 of November 30, 2001 for WB applications.

KOMATSU HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS
There has been a lot of discussion on this subject, but as of this date, the only product recommended by Komatsu for hydraulic system use is SAE10W engine oil that meets API specification CD (or later specification in this series) or MIL-L-2104. At this time, the use of AW series hydraulic oils, such as AW46 are not recommended.

P&SN AR00051 of 11/27/2000 discusses different types of biodegradable hydraulic oils and makes recommendations for their use in Utility Models. It should be noted that this P&SN does not address the larger construction or mining machines. If it is there is a need to use biodegradable oils in a construction or mining machine, it is suggested that the application be discussed with the KAIC District Service Manager, and if needed, a SEST request be filed.

SUMMARY
If you are confused or in doubt about what oils to use in Komatsu Products, you won’t go too far wrong with the following during ambient conditions that are generally encountered in our service territory:

* Engines
15W-40 that at least meets API specification CD. API specifications CF-4, CH-4, or CI-4 are better yet.

* Planetary Transmissions in Tractors or Wheel Loaders
SAE30 API specification CD or TO oil such as Komatsu Heavy Duty Transmission Fluid (HDTF) TO30 or CAT TO-4. Do not use a CF-4, CG-4, or CI-4 specification oil. Do not use HTF or Hydraulic Trans Fluid.

* Counter Shaft Transmissions in WA-1 Wheel Loaders
Same as above.

* Counter Shaft Transmissions in Small Komatsu Bull Dozers & –3 Wheel Loaders
SAE10W API specification CD or TO oil such as Komatsu Heavy Duty Transmission Fluid (HDTF) TO10 or CAT TO-4. Do not use a CF-4, CG-4, or CI-4 specification oil. Do not use HTF or Hydraulic Trans Fluid.

* Wheel Loader Axles with Wet Brakes & Grader Differentials with Wet Brakes
Komatsu HTF or Hydraulic Trans Fluid or the industry standard Tractor Hydraulic Fluid (THF) like Chevron 1000 THF or Mobilfluid 424.

* Hydraulic Systems
SAE 10W engine oil.

Hopefully the information contained in this memo will be helpful and aid in the use of the correct lubricants. It is being distributed first by e-mail and then by mail. Other reference material will be included with the mail distribution. If you have any questions or comments about this, please contact me at the Kent branch (253) 872-3500 or by e-mail.

LINKS TO ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON LUBRICANTS

* http://www.castrolhdl.com
OEM for KAIC branded lubricants.

* http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/nafl/
Information on Chevron lubricants.

* http://www.mobil.com
Information on Mobil lubricants.

* http://www.76lubricants.com
Information on Unocal 76 lubricants.

* http://www.lubrizol.com
Makes the additive package for most major oil companies.

* http://www.api.org
The latest API specifications.

* http://www.diveweb.com/uw/archives/arch/024.08.shtml
Article on biodegradable oils.

JNorm

Darinray could you help me with the year model of my d21 p-6..serial # is 70791...any help is greatly appreciated...