• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

J Olender

komatsu d38e-1 Gray Market Machine- runnin hot!

This machine has 4500 hrs. I've put 1000 hrs on it. Trani temp has always run hot. I think it would peg the gage if I didn't turn it off. Although, water temp is very consistent. Trani is cooled by engine radiater which has been rodded out.
All fluid, filters, and screens have been changed. No visible damage to hydraulic lines. Fan and belt are working properly. Machine operates perfectly, other than this one problem.

classic

I have D21p-6 , i have noticed for some time now the blade does not tilt fully, I see the problem, it looks like the tilt trunnion is worn out, it dropped below it mounting position. It looks like it was never greased. It looks like it is welded in, ( i don't have access to a welder or cutter) it is held in place by a "C" shaped mount bracket with 2 big bolts to the frame, is their a bearing behind the "C" shaped bracket ( kind of like a crank shaft bearing in a motor) that is replaceable ? I would like to fix it, but I am trying to understand what is behind their and if I can fix it with out any type of welding.

Thanks

Jolley-Giant

Ok.... I have my machine all back together and running, BUT .... the right clutch is not disengaging completely.... and I know that this is nothing surprising since the dozer has been sitting in the shop for over a month... I ran it around the yard, pulling hard on the brake, most usually it would have broken loose by now if it was just the clutches sticking.

Here is my question: Since I had the top of the housing for the right brake off... the slave cylinder for the clutch would have drained all of the oil out no doubt... when I put it back together I am sure that there is some air in the line... However... I don't see any bleeders on the clutch slave cylinder...

Anyone know how to bleed it out?

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
No replaceable bearing behind there but dang that woudl be nice. :) You can either change the cap with new one or you can shave off some material on the cap so that it makes the joint tighter. OR you can weld more material and then grind off excess. The other half mounted on the c frame you need to put more weld in there too or cut off old and put new one on. Let me know if you need anything.

Darin

I have D21p-6 , i have noticed for some time now the blade does not tilt fully, I see the problem, it looks like the tilt trunnion is worn out, it dropped below it mounting position. It looks like it was never greased. It looks like it is welded in, ( i don't have access to a welder or cutter) it is held in place by a "C" shaped mount bracket with 2 big bolts to the frame, is their a bearing behind the "C" shaped bracket ( kind of like a crank shaft bearing in a motor) that is replaceable ? I would like to fix it, but I am trying to understand what is behind their and if I can fix it with out any type of welding.

Thanks

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Dang it. I haven't had trouble with the cylinder after repacking them YET but can't think how you would be able to bleed it because there are no plugs on it. :( You can pull a plug on the side of the control valve to make sure you have pressure there but get ready for oil if working right? I've had those air lock before and then after oil flew out it ran fine. Keep us posted.

When you pull the lever back to steer does the steering cylinder piston on the control valve go in before the brake handle moves to much?
Ok.... I have my machine all back together and running, BUT .... the right clutch is not disengaging completely.... and I know that this is nothing surprising since the dozer has been sitting in the shop for over a month... I ran it around the yard, pulling hard on the brake, most usually it would have broken loose by now if it was just the clutches sticking.

Here is my question: Since I had the top of the housing for the right brake off... the slave cylinder for the clutch would have drained all of the oil out no doubt... when I put it back together I am sure that there is some air in the line... However... I don't see any bleeders on the clutch slave cylinder...

Anyone know how to bleed it out?

classic

Hello,
I have a Komatsu D21p-6, with 6 way blade. I am looking to rebuild the left and right hydraulic angle cylinders, my parts book is
apparently missing a few pages for the section on the 6 way blade. can anyone provide me with or post a page or 2 of the parts for the
6 way blade area.

Thanks

Dozerboy28

D21P-6 track adjustment

I am having a little trouble understanding the manual on track adjustment and I just want to make sure I get it right. The book gives a tolerance of 20-30 mm. Where is this measured from? I just want to make sure that my tracks are adjusted correctly. I know to pump grease in at the fitting mid span just above rollers, but how much? Are they self adjusting and I just pump away with grease? These are a little different than the giant piece of all thread used for adjusting the tracks on my ancient 955 CAT.:dizzy

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Take a straight edge and lay it on the top roller to the front idler. measure between the straight edge and the top of the grouser bar. Pump grease until you get that distance right. if you pump away you will over tighten unless your tension seal is bad then it will just pump away and go by the piston seals. :( Hope this helps.

Darin

samckween

D21p-6 engine temp

Hello,

I am new to this internet forum thing so if this post lands where it should I apoligize. I have a D21P-6 Dozer I am changing the green/white temp guage to a scale guage. Does anyone know the normal engine operating temp range for this dozer. Thanks in advance.

Occupation
Retired but my neighbor won't let me.. I thank him
Can someone help me find

I feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle. My neighbor (The greatest neighbor in the world) has a D20P-7. I recently completed his wiring problems and it cranks and runs fine now (that is if you just want to go staight). It won't turn. I pulled his hydraulic steering pump and found the splined shaft was snapped off. I opened it up and found one gear section that looked like some grit had ground both sides of the gear. Only one gear is whats so strange. Anyway it probably locked up and snapped the shaft. Can someone help me find a new or good used pump? Again it's a D20P-7 ..Ser#78120.
Thanks in advance!

:deadhorse

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Hey guys, Sorry I didn't get that parts breakdown for you (been really busy around here) but looks like you found what the problem is yourself. :( That pump is available from Komatsu I think becaues it's still listed in their parts system but dang is that expensive. Did you get any numbers or details off the pump's tag? Talk to you again.

Darin

Occupation
Retired but my neighbor won't let me.. I thank him
Hey guys, Sorry I didn't get that parts breakdown for you (been really busy around here) but looks like you found what the problem is yourself. :( That pump is available from Komatsu I think becaues it's still listed in their parts system but dang is that expensive. Did you get any numbers or details off the pump's tag? Talk to you again.

Darin

:eek:

Yeah I found the problem and got one quote on a new one. After hearing the price I thought to myself that I didn't want to buy the Komastu Co. just the pump. There's no way that little pump is worth that kind of money. I was waiting for your email but after a while I thought you forgot so I set out on my own. At the present it's at a machine shop to see if they can rebuild it without buying the company. Still waiting on the quote.

keito

Clearing land? tips?

;)I have been doing a bit of clearing myself on my ten acres in northern Mississippi. The seat belt I have learned is a must and I don't have one. Bumped my head a couple of times and got jolted around pretty good. The little D21A6 is a little power house. but I was wondering if you developed any means of getting the small branches up off the ground. I am looking into buying a rake for the blade. Any tips on how you are cleaning things up? When I try to get down for the small stuff I am still pushing to much dirt and this doesn't burn welll.
Hey Pete and all you other guys.

Found an easy seat belt source. Go to: http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/
Mine was shipped today, and total cost was about $20.00. The D20-21-7 and I think the 6 series too, has mounting holes tapped on either side and to the rear of the drivers seat. Easy installation, and a must-have according to a dozer driver I know who has about 30 years experience. Gets a little bouncy out there sometimes.
Like Pete, I am busy clearing some good ole southern brush. Lots of Chinese Privit, Sweet Gum, Pine and Elm trees. No problem with any of those types at or under 10" diameter. It is amazing how much work can get done in such a short time, especially compared to using a chain saw and box blade! Not too good yet at floating though. I still am going to have to use a box blade to get 'er completely smooth.
Couldn't do without the sweeps. No way. Even with them I've still had some visitors up there with me, but they keep out most of the limbs. I highly recommend the the D21 transmission. It saves lots of shifting, but you gotta remember to come to a complete halt before changing directions.
I'm sorry I had to wait until I was sixty five to get this thing. :D

WD

Danny B

Need Traction

I need to get more traction. I can tell my D21 has more push than I can get to the ground. I'll try to post a picture to show what I think my problem is. The flat plates on the track are approx 1 inch. My son and a friend on his suggested I weld some 1 inch key stock to the flat plates. Any comments on that idea or other options would be appreciated.

Attachments

• dozer small.jpg
    dozer small.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,049

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
The grouser stock (key stock) should have been welded standing up and not flat like that. :( Need to figure how much time and money is spent doing it this way or just buying new shoes for you machine. Contact me if you need.

Darin

concrete_man

I just purchased a D20 dozer & wanted to run the serial number to find out if it would tell the year and stuff of the dozer, does anyone know where I can do that at?

Thanks