• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

wrenchbender

Welcome rangerfreak

Welcome aboard rangerfreak:drinkup , I'm not a Komatsu expert:eek: but there are a few guys here that do qualify. So fire away and someone will probly answer all your questions.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF rangerfreak! :drinkup

R Leo

Welcome

Hi, n00b here too!!!

FWIW, I have a D20-P6. Just bought it about 3 weeks ago...I have both the repair and the operation/service manual. I'm by no means any sort of expert but, if you have any questions you think might be covered in the manuals, I may be able to find the info and answer them.

rangerfreak

question about dip stick

on my new dozer or should i say used dozer there 3 dipsticks one is under the hood which i know is the oil stick, then there is one right underneath the seat what is this one?and what is the one underneath the brake peddle on the right.Also what specific fluid should i use on each one.
thank you for your time and have a nice day

P.S how do i tighten my tracks

R Leo

on my new dozer or should i say used dozer there 3 dipsticks one is under the hood which i know is the oil stick, then there is one right underneath the seat what is this one?and what is the one underneath the brake peddle on the right.Also what specific fluid should i use on each one.

Rangerfreak,
All my documentation is at home, I'll look at the manual and post the exact answers for you this evening.

I do know that the hydraulic system does NOT use regular hydraulic fluid.

Take care,
Randy

PS - I ordered my Operation/Service manual from this outfit: www.manuals.us
The repair manual came with the dozer (the prior owner had bought it)

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator

One is the transmission and the other is the clutch.
To tighten the tracks: take off the access plate on the track cover, put your grease gun on the zerk and pump to tighten the tracks. Go slow, it doesn't take very much.

I think that the book says 30w oil in the trans, finals and transfer case (D21), 10W in the clutch and hydraulic tank.

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Komatsu D21

Howdy guys
I am a new owner of an old Kom D21P-6. Been pushing a lot of brush and smaller trees with it. It runs mighty good. I can't make new posts yet.
I just bought a new hydraulic filter for it today. Can't get one from anywhere but Komatsu ... but all other filters are available from normal sources.
I have ordered all the manuals from SSB Tractor.
So far, I have changed all fluids and filters.
Welded on it for 3 days.
Adjusted all linkages.
Installed a new coolant temp gauge and an oil press gauge.
Rewired some stuff on it.
Adjusted the tracks by the book.
Been told I got screwed when I bought it.
Found out I can't find another one anywhere around here and the guy who said I got screwed wants to sell me one for over twice what I paid for this one....ha ha ha ha ha ha......the jerk!!!!!
So far, it has done really well for me, but then, I never even ran one before, so can't really compare it with anything, but my tractor...ha ha
Hope to see more posts about these machines.
Thanks, Pete in MS

rangerfreak

question newbie here

One is the transmission and the other is the clutch.
To tighten the tracks: take off the access plate on the track cover, put your grease gun on the zerk and pump to tighten the tracks. Go slow, it doesn't take very much.

I think that the book says 30w oil in the trans, finals and transfer case (D21), 10W in the clutch and hydraulic tank.

(there is a finals dip stick too as well as a transfer case dip stick along with a transmission dip stick as well?)

Last edited by a moderator:

rangerfreak

dozer question

:drinkup i have just a few questions about my d20A-5 dozer

A:is there a fuse box and where is it

B:does anybody have an colored picture of the grease fitting area where you tighten the tracks.

C:how do i get the plugs out so that i check out the fluid level of the final drive on the back of the dozer.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day

Last edited:

R Leo

A:is there a fuse box and where is it
It's under the rectangular black cover on the left side of the dash panel...at least that's where it is on a -6...you have a -5, right?

B:does anybody have an colored picture of the grease fitting area where you tighten the tracks.
Look at the long steel cover that covers the side of the track frame. There's a smaller cover built into that big piece of steel. The zerk is under there.

C:how do i get the plugs out so that i check out the fluid level of the final drive on the back of the dozer.
I think that uses a large allen wrench...maybe 12mm or 14mm? You can get one at NAPA. They're used to remove differential and transmission plugs on foreign cars.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
:C:how do i get the plugs out so that i check out the fluid level of the final drive on the back of the dozer.

I have a -6, the plug has a square hole that fits a 1/2" breaker bar or ratchet nicely. (I.E. ratchet with no socket on it) If it's not square it may be an 8 point which still fits a square drive of the ratchet/b. bar.