• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Welcome!!!

Hi, I'm a newbie to this field. I have just over 2 years in the field, first making shot rock for a contractor, then was lucky enough to get hired by the company that ran the quarry to be a Utility equipment operator.

I look forward to gaining insight from those who have walked the path I'm on.

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Cat D9h

Hi , I found this site and thought it looked cool so I thought Id join up, I am a supervisor mainly equipment operator ( I have an office but the seat is dusty if you know what I mean) for a large dirtwork/paving company in the small town Ruidoso New Mexico we do all sorts of jobs from residential all the way up to government jobs I hope to have fun here !

Partsdude

I am a Komatsu partsman in British Columbia Canada.
Was a Dodge partsman for years, and worked in a heavy duty spring and brake shop as well.
I love anything mechanical, especially the old steam power stuff.

I have read darn near every thread on these forums and love seeing all the neato equipment from around the world. As soon as I am able I will post up some pictures.

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
I've been an operator for over 35 years, mostly on scrapers (towed, elevating & conventional). Lately I've "come indoors" and look after a successful machinery supply companys parts department but still hop on a machine whenever I can get the opportunity.
I'm keenly interested in the history of earthmoving and the many manufacturers who've come and gone across time and I'm currently writing a book on the subject.

Eddiebackblade

Eddiebackblade

Hi to you all,

I,ve been watching this site with interest for some time, and have finally decided to jump in.
I am a self employed operator in the UK, but now take on whole Groundwork/Drainage or Excavation packages as it pays better!!

Grew up around my Uncles Farm, and have had the tell tale Black fingernails and whiff of Diesel ever since.

Had the usual UK plant operator ladder to climb as AtlasRob will probably be familiar with, 8 years on Backhoe loaders then finally onto the big stuff!!

Been in the seat for some 18 years now, and still love it.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
welcome

Welcome aboard Eddie. I see you have a sense of humour :D
What part of this little island are you hiding in ? Not town, county will do :)

Eddiebackblade

Great to finally catch u Rob,
I,m up in the Staffordshire Moorlands, no inbred jokes please!!
I too have a real soft spot for the 'Ducks' most underrated machine out there if you ask me.
They are a real operators machine, and there is nothing better than a good pilpeline in town to keep you alert all day.

MOOSE3.5

Hello guys, I am a residential contractor with limited experience on heavy equipment. My brother-in-law (who can run anything diesel powered) got me in the seat of bobcat about 5 years ago to help him finish a job on time. Since then I've graduated to a backhoe and even a small dozer when he needs the help. Had so much fun on the bobcat that I went out and bought one a couple years back. Been working on the thing ever since! But, I guess when you own equipment that's just part of it. :eek:

DenMech

hello

hello all new here, I am a mechanic going for heavy equipment mechanic certification. Any other 421A's here?

YankeeFlasher

New Member YankeeFlasher

Most of my experience has been with those in Dubai UAE starting with the Palms Jumeriah, Jebel Ali, and Deira; then World Islands and many others.

Big difference is the size of project 250 acre considered as small project...but dimensioned all in metrics...it make life easier.

Dubai and Abu DHabi has some of the largest fleets of D10-11 in the World...but they don't know how to use scrapers - cuts in 1-2ft, place in 1-2 ft, can't trust any fills for compaction.

Current project is moving >1M cu yd/day (Yes: >1Mcuyd/d) for a canal - 50mi long and up to 1500ft wide at ex.grd.lvl. and 250ft wide at channel floor.

We have been trying to use mining equipment but most operators are use to dozers-loader-dumper (road or quarry) and no one knows how to use a scraper. Some iranian companies have experience in scraper but UAE considers the scraper as a funny truck to be filled by loaders.

Very interested in larger equipment and mning equipment...been trying to work with the Holland Loaders and Holland Haulers...but now things are back to dozers, loaders and lots of trucks - 1Mcuyd / 50 cuyd = 20,000 loads a day - 20 hr operations =1000 loads an hour...cut-transport-place at <$y.00/cuyd.

I have gone through the list and messanges - Nice to meet real people.

Tom Williams - YankeeFlasher (My old HASH name)

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Most of my experience has been with those in Dubai UAE starting with the Palms Jumeriah, Jebel Ali, and Deira; then World Islands and many others.

Big difference is the size of project 250 acre considered as small project...but dimensioned all in metrics...it make life easier.

Dubai and Abu DHabi has some of the largest fleets of D10-11 in the World...but they don't know how to use scrapers - cuts in 1-2ft, place in 1-2 ft, can't trust any fills for compaction.

Current project is moving >1M cu yd/day (Yes: >1Mcuyd/d) for a canal - 50mi long and up to 1500ft wide at ex.grd.lvl. and 250ft wide at channel floor.

We have been trying to use mining equipment but most operators are use to dozers-loader-dumper (road or quarry) and no one knows how to use a scraper. Some iranian companies have experience in scraper but UAE considers the scraper as a funny truck to be filled by loaders.

Very interested in larger equipment and mning equipment...been trying to work with the Holland Loaders and Holland Haulers...but now things are back to dozers, loaders and lots of trucks - 1Mcuyd / 50 cuyd = 20,000 loads a day - 20 hr operations =1000 loads an hour...cut-transport-place at <$y.00/cuyd.

I have gone through the list and messanges - Nice to meet real people.

Tom Williams - YankeeFlasher (My old HASH name)

Welcome aboard Tom :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy those numbers are unreal. And with folk :rolleyes: who dont even know how to move muck :D
Your either an :angel or mad!! :D. Muckshifter ! you aint no :angel lol, you'll fit in well here :drinkup

jdlogger

I ran across this site trying to trouble shoot a problem on the loader that I bought last year. (See JD 450 C starting problem) I am a tool and die maker by trade, I enjoy bowhunting, gunhunting and throwing rocks if needed.Ha Ha I bought the loader to make some improvements on my property and to take down a 150 year old barn. Actualy I had an urge to dig big holes! Some day I would love to be able to quit my Job inside with no windows 10 hours a day and be in the great outdoors freezing in the winter and burning up in the summer.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
delete

Last edited:

OCR

Occupation
delete

Last edited:

OCR

Occupation
Hello from OCR:

Lived all my life here, with my brother, on our ranch in Montana. We've been helping fight fire for over 20 years. I usually operate our dozer,
JD 750C (6 way blade, ripper, winch), and our Cat excavator.
My brother runs our T-2 water tender. All under EERAs. (these are agreements, not contracts)
Acquired A&P license in 1973. I'm also employed by the Montana Department of Transportation (seasonal) as a snow plow driver. (AFSCME member)
And, of course, we're full time ranchers. Also, original owners of a 1946 J-3 cub.

joe901

Occupation
Skid Steer operator
Hi, great site, loads of info from the people that operate and fix these machines. Work for major (for New Zealand ) Earthworks/Civil company. Have driven the usual Komatsu compactors,815's,613 and 615 motorscrapers,tractors etc before moving into Cat skid steers ( much more fun )247b's,277b and 277c. Ain't got time for hobbies,always seem to be workin.

Grinder08

How's it going? I work for a tree care company and we recently had an unknown engine part go through our belt grinder. Trying to figure out what it is from, hopefully i'll be able to post some pics on later...Take care all

joe901

Occupation
Skid Steer operator
Cheers Squizy246B,

was wondering how long you guys keep your machines for. We trade them in at 3000 hours. Also how many hours do you average per week?