1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by Contract Logger, Feb 6, 2010.

1. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I've never seen spruce used as lumber. That's why I asked the question. Howard Hughes's Spruce Goose was made out of that material because it was the only material that wasn't being used for the war effort.

I've seen plenty of those monster trees dropped and shipped off to Asia for who knows what. Trim would be a good use and maybe furniture. I just hate to think a monster tree like in the photo got sent to be ground up for pulp.

2. JPV

JPV Well-Known Member

My wife's cousin is a home builder in South Carolina. I was just visiting with him last weekend and he said they really like spruce for framing because it is straight unlike whatever else they use down there. I was surprised to hear that, never heard of it being used for that before.

3. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

What I want to know is what ponderosa pine is used for. It grows like a weed around here, logs moving down the road all day but I wouldn't know where to buy it anywhere. All the lumber in the lumberyard is DF.

4. 075

075 Senior Member

Running Supersnorkel
    Mahatta River

5. 075

075 Senior Member

Running Supersnorkel
    Old growth Spruce is used for musical instruments lumber and plywood

6. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I've seen some pine used for indoor paneling. The rest I've seen was for fire wood.

I can understand plywood but all those mills in the northwest are gone now. Everything is engineered fiber board now. OSB and such. There are a couple of veneer mills left but the stuff gets shipped out of state. We have people stealing maple at times but so far I haven't heard of anyone interested in spruce for instruments.

7. Tugger2

Tugger2 Well-Known Member

We often see SPF on studs here , must be spruce pine fir. Although i think the spruce is the smaller stuff from the interior.
    I did a couple of shifts in Cleagh Creek when it was first started in the mid 70 s ,Some of the crew there had a hard time keeping out of trouble at night because you could drive from Cleagh to the pub at Mahatta

cubanator and 075 like this.
  8. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Contract logger and cutter
    Old growth Spruce, Yellow for, Maple & Cedar have long been used as instrument wood.

9. Born2clearcut

Born2clearcut Senior Member

Came across this sign mountain biking other day think it underestimates the problem lol IMG_20181108_083108.jpg

HD Mech, 075 and John C. like this.
  10. Doug1966

Doug1966 Well-Known Member

Woodworker
    Hi, putting this out there for a retired friend. To keep himself busy he cuts and sells firewood and his sort yard source has dried up. He is looking for truck loads of mainly fir delivered to his property in Langford. He is selling 60+ cords a year so you know he is serious. PM me if you have any information. Thanks. Doug.

11. gg@m&b

gg@m&b Member

So did I for being the Supervisor

12. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    [​IMG]

cubanator, 72hayes, 075 and 3 others like this.
  13. petepilot

petepilot Well-Known Member

thanks for the pic i looked for 30 minutes for that one :)

14. HD Mech

HD Mech Well-Known Member

Heavy duty mechanic
    I remember a similar load on H149. I took the truck from the parking area up to the shop to change a leaking brake pot. While I was there the chargehand noticed the rear axle on the trailer was actually bent! So after it was dumped the next day, the trailer went in the shop where we straightened the axle and fixed a few other things.

15. petepilot

petepilot Well-Known Member

after a few loads like that i`m not surprised ;)

16. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    How do you unload such a high one back at the sort?!

Knocking the pins out would be "exhilarating", pushing the top off surely would bust something, and it's out of reach for a wheeled loader?

17. 075

075 Senior Member

Running Supersnorkel
    They use one of the juicers to unload if at a dry land or just dump it at the log dump

18. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

So having lunch and looking out over Haro Strait looking at Victoria watching a big barge loaded with equipment heading south down the strait. Looks like two grapple yarders, maybe a snorkel, and probably some trucks and other equipment.
    Anybody have the scoop on who and where their going?

19. BTC

BTC Well-Known Member

If there were 3 grapple yarders
    3 logging trucks
    3-4Madill 3800’s and a bunch of misc equipment
    Then you saw Dyer Logging from Kelsey Bay. Heading to visit Steve in Sarita for the winter

075, Betelgeuse, HD Mech and 2 others like this.
  20. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Sweet thanks for the response. These were the first grapple yarders I’ve seen even though it was through the bino’s. Pretty cool. I assumed sarita shutdown when IPL shutdown or is sarita separate? I would love come over to the island with my boys and check out the logging world of BC. To bad the days of not needing a passport to cross the border is over none of us have them ☹️. Oh well I enjoy vicariously living it through the stories and picture everyone here post. Thanks to everyone.