1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by Contract Logger, Feb 6, 2010.

1. HDX

HDX Senior Member

Don't know if you know or not ,But we are now Island Forest Logging. We have got only 4 of us drivers now. Western wanted the big trucks all gone and that is what IPL did. However, after meeting with the new owner ,He agreed to getting some big trucks again. We started with nothing and are working our way back up again. We have 6 P16's Four we have hauling and two getting brought up to hauling standards. Three are from the IPL Herd and three from the Winter Harbor operation. Will post some pictures if there is interest... IMG_4272.JPG

2. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    Hell yes there's interest!

Ed

Tinkerer and HD Mech like this.
  3. HD Mech

HD Mech Well-Known Member

Heavy duty mechanic
    I whole heartedly agree! Glad to hear your still able to use the big trucks Steve! You are probably getting a rash from driving a Pacific so much though!

4. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

These trucks still running hauling huge loads is a testament to how good they really were!

5. HDX

HDX Senior Member

HD Mech, It is a lot different getting use to them, But we are up to the challenge. As far as I am concerned, There will always be a place in the forest for the big trucks. We work for Shawn Nicholson and all I can say is he bought into the big truck program and we have been showing him the benefits they have to offer. Now he is looking for the right hauls to justify getting a couple more. It is funny to see what we are doing now compared to 20 years ago.. I don't have to elaborate Ralph because you know what I mean. OK back to posting pictures

Betelgeuse and dirty4fun like this.
  6. HDX

HDX Senior Member

Some of what you speak of Welder Dave IMG_4310.jpg

Scott_527, ap40rocktruck, 075 and 8 others like this.
  7. HDX

HDX Senior Member

Along with the two Bikini Coral P16's (Now H01 and H06) we got an ex Crown Z Preload truck and lowbed. DiamondTguy told me her original unit number BUT I FORGOT IT!! IMG_4198.jpg

ap40rocktruck, 72hayes and HD Mech like this.
  8. DBDLS

DBDLS Well-Known Member

Heavy Equipment Operator
    Good to know some big trucks are still hauling out there on the South Island.

HD Mech likes this.
  9. HDX

HDX Senior Member

10. HDX

HDX Senior Member

The Lowbed trailer is now being used and hauled By Goldie (Dave Golbeck) he is pulling it with his old IPL P16 with the SPR570 rear ends. It is all orange and also an ex CrownZ truck. ex IPL unit H119 and now Island Forest H04. The truck posted above that was hooked onto the bed when delivered is down at the Messachie Lake Shop being worked on and brought up to hauling standards.

dirty4fun likes this.
  11. Plebeian

Plebeian Senior Member

What does that run over the scales at?

12. HDX

HDX Senior Member

The other P16 finally out and this is her hauling her first load. We had to see what else was wrong and the only way to do that is to take her out and see what flies. This is H06 IMG_4362.jpg IMG_4363.jpg

13. HDX

HDX Senior Member

Shawn Nicholson wants to get them all painted, but we convinced him to hold off till we get all the bugs out of them first.. If nothing else ,It is refreshing to see a company that actually WANTS to paint their trucks.. Dark Blue and Black HHMMM?? And just when I was getting use to Bikini Coral

Scott_527, 075 and John Shipp like this.
  14. diamondtguy

diamondtguy Senior Member

machine fitter/fabricator
    HDX...your CZ preloader...delivered Nov 3 1980 for the Courtney Div....Original unit # 40-94......Cheers...

075 likes this.
  15. HDX

HDX Senior Member

Plebeian, Although we do haul to the Sarita Dryland Sort, Not all the loads go over the scales. The load above was what we call "Camp Run" so was unloaded and laid out on the deck to be hand scaled. If we get a weigh load, They are weighed ,then lifted off and banded ,then dumped into the water. We are averaging about 125'000KG's when converted to Meter scale and we have to stick pretty close to 122,000KG's when going over the scales with pure loads.The P16 I am driving is 36,500 KG's empty and they want us to keep as close to 80,000 KG's for the load. When they unload us they will fill two trip bunks,band them and push them into the water and boomed up ,each with about 40 tons. This is so they can be lifted out of the water at either the mill or wherever they are sold to. Anything more than 40-42 tons and it creates a problem for the machine lifting them. If we are hauling a camp run load ,Then there is no limit to what the size and weight are. I have hauled with the H17 many loads that were on the 150 ton margin. Then you would add the weight of the truck and trailer, and that was 39,900KG's. So if we did go over the platform scales they would read 190,000KG's. I know it sounds like BS but that is the truth. I have had one load that the scales would not register.. Only that one though so I have no idea what it was other that it was HEAVY. There is a lot of these loads that have been hauled up this way by guys all over the place like this up here in BC. More so on the coast because of the timber here. Does this answer your question? Maybe DBDLS can jump in and fine tune it if need be.

075, Born2clearcut and dirty4fun like this.
  16. HDX

HDX Senior Member

Thanks a lot diamondtguy... Was told she is running now and maybe going to try out this week Hope all goes well

17. HD Mech

HD Mech Well-Known Member

Heavy duty mechanic
    My vote is for Red and White! Thanks for posting all the pictures Steve! Nothing that interesting where I’m at at the moment. Or that big either.

DBDLS, wornout wrench and John Shipp like this.
  18. dirty4fun

dirty4fun Senior Member

It sure is great to see the big trucks in any color back to hauling, and doing just what they were built for. Great pictures HDX thanks for sharing them with us, along with the great stories.

19. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Contract logger and cutter
    Awesome news guys!!

20. Born2clearcut

Born2clearcut Senior Member

Go big ! Or go home!