• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Shawn Nicholson wants to get them all painted, but we convinced him to hold off till we get all the bugs out of them first.. If nothing else ,It is refreshing to see a company that actually WANTS to paint their trucks.. Dark Blue and Black HHMMM?? And just when I was getting use to Bikini Coral
2nd vote for red and white

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Shawn Nicholson wants to get them all painted, but we convinced him to hold off till we get all the bugs out of them first.. If nothing else ,It is refreshing to see a company that actually WANTS to paint their trucks.. Dark Blue and Black HHMMM?? And just when I was getting use to Bikini Coral

Voting for Red and White as well, though I will say I always admired Bill Moore for painting his eqipment pink...I mean ‘bikini coral.’ My spouse says pink and purple go well together so I think I would paint my equipment pink with a wide purple stripe and white cabtops or cabs depending on the machine. I figure the forest industry started going downhill when the companies stopped using bush boxes and started whitewashing everything.

HDX

IMG_0101.JPG The H14 when Gary had her, This was the last P16 Pacific PreLoad built. She would go on to be painted Yellow and White in the Hayes Forest Colors after they took her over. Then on to Island Pacific Logging, She is still being used as a lowbed truck for them down island now

HDX

Plebeian, Although we do haul to the Sarita Dryland Sort, Not all the loads go over the scales. The load above was what we call "Camp Run" so was unloaded and laid out on the deck to be hand scaled. If we get a weigh load, They are weighed ,then lifted off and banded ,then dumped into the water. We are averaging about 125'000KG's when converted to Meter scale and we have to stick pretty close to 122,000KG's when going over the scales with pure loads.The P16 I am driving is 36,500 KG's empty and they want us to keep as close to 80,000 KG's for the load. When they unload us they will fill two trip bunks,band them and push them into the water and boomed up ,each with about 40 tons. This is so they can be lifted out of the water at either the mill or wherever they are sold to. Anything more than 40-42 tons and it creates a problem for the machine lifting them. If we are hauling a camp run load ,Then there is no limit to what the size and weight are. I have hauled with the H17 many loads that were on the 150 ton margin. Then you would add the weight of the truck and trailer, and that was 39,900KG's. So if we did go over the platform scales they would read 190,000KG's. I know it sounds like BS but that is the truth. I have had one load that the scales would not register.. Only that one though so I have no idea what it was other that it was HEAVY. There is a lot of these loads that have been hauled up this way by guys all over the place like this up here in BC. More so on the coast because of the timber here. Does this answer your question? Maybe DBDLS can jump in and fine tune it if need be.

HDX

IMG_0098.jpg IMG_0099.JPG This happened in the Walbran Pass back in 1987. Driver was OK Just shook up very bad. Truck experienced a Shifter Failure. Electric Shift and it shorted out and went into neutral ON A STEEP HILL Driver did everything he could before leaving the cab

Betelgeuse

This huge log barge just passed the island going up Georgia strait and man oh man is that a massive crane with an equally if not more impressive grapple on it. The crane is setup on rails on port and starboard of the barge length wise so it can load stern first and role forward as it loads. Pretty impressive. Anybody have the low down on this log barge?
34976856-E3E9-4CC9-AA32-6ECC5F8A3410.jpeg 863B939D-36B0-4DA4-A66B-E9B5B755ECFC.jpeg

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
First 2 pictures are from WFP Gold River division. Nice blue sky. 3rd picture from Campbell River

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 64

Betelgeuse

Just talking to a coworker about our view and what strait we are looking at and I have been totally backwards. I have been under the impression that Georgia Strait is between San Juan island and Vancouver Island but nope I have been wrong this whole time. It’s Haro Strait. So all of my post I labeled as Georgia strait are actually Haro Strait.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
So what is spruce used for anymore?

Well, from a construction perspective around here anyway they seem to use it for "white wood" trim and it seems like in other areas they may be using it as SPF general lumber but I would not know about that because locally doug fir is all that ever gets used for studs and such.