• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

dirty4fun

Get a Passport, you will never regret it once you go to the island. The worse thing is you are going to want to go back, again.

Betelgeuse

Get a Passport, you will never regret it once you go to the island. The worse thing is you are going to want to go back, again.

Oh I have been there many times. I sailed on the tall ship Pacific Grace out of Victoria for seven summers. Love it over there. My view from work is the south end of Vancouver island looking north. Great view of Victoria. I am on San Juan Island just barely on the US side of the border. Such a tease. I let my passport expire and can’t justify the cost when I got three little ones running around at home.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Does anyone know if there is a truck show in Alberni this year...Looking to bring the Grizzly over to the Island.Would like to do some visiting and hit a show or two..Duncan show ???

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
The Duncan show is July 13-14. A bunch of us will be there with toys messing around in the dirt. I’m not sure of the dates for the Alberni show but it is definitely happening. It’s usually Labor Day weekend I think.

diamondtguy

Occupation
Thanks Reg...I promised some Pacific guys I would bring the Grizzly to the Cache Creek show and that is July 26-28.I most certainly would like to bring the truck to the Alberni show.Duncan show is a possibility as well.I will see how it unfolds.I have a couple of Mustang shows to do as well but this year the Grizzly gets the priority if any of the dates clash...

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Thanks Reg...I promised some Pacific guys I would bring the Grizzly to the Cache Creek show and that is July 26-28.I most certainly would like to bring the truck to the Alberni show.Duncan show is a possibility as well.I will see how it unfolds.I have a couple of Mustang shows to do as well but this year the Grizzly gets the priority if any of the dates clash...

Sounds like a busy summer! That would be great if you can make it over here. If you could only make one event, the one in Port Alberni would probably make for a more entertaining weekend given the other sights and people to see away from the show. I missed that show last year and likely will again this year as well but I can’t be in two places at once I guess.lol

diamondtguy

Occupation
Reg...You are correct.If I can only get to the Island for one show it will be Alberni.Sad you cant make it but I can always listen to your voice on you-tube (ha ha)

diamondtguy

Occupation
Anybody have some current info on the Alberni Truck show this year.....Cant find anything on the web about it....

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Our friend Dave "Whiskey" Whiskin a long time Off Highway & Highway Log Truck Driver in the Lake Cowichan area has loaned us his pictures . The first pictures were taken during his years at WFI Gordon River Camp . 1st picture is Jan 10,1980 Honeymoon Bay Sawmill . The next pictures were taken March 1979 at Gordon River Camp , Dave in his youth driving a Pacific Off Highway preloader .scan069.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Dave Whiskin Collection Western Forest Industries (WFI) Gordon River Camp 1st picture Derek Whiskin in Daves log truck . 2nd picture is Derek Whiskin in the cab of an American 7220 log loader with operator Hugh Bradshaw . 3rd picture is Woods Foreman Jim Kerrone in cab of log truck checking something out . 4th picture is long time log truck driver Bill Nicol , Bill is one of the best log truck drivers I have shared the road with , always made "good time" , took really good care of his truck , hardly turned a pebble on a steep loose hill and his tire wear was almost unbelievable . April / May 1980 scan074.jpg scan075.jpg scan076.jpg scan077.jpg