• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

KW updates

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Guess did this too long, just another repair!!

Will always wish I had stayed in SLC, kept my dream alive, just water down a different path too. Now too old and calloused, pain is only skin deep where I generally don’t feel it anymore.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Got column joints changed this morning, turned off warm almost 65 now but windy, Even painted the Tube while had out. KW is delivering the Modulator today, MV3 was quite the Pig getting the lines to unset in the Bendix Chinese handcuffs line locks. Ended up cutting the vent to outside at valve block just would not release. Working thru the wiring snarl was a treat.
IMG_0746.JPG IMG_0747.JPG IMG_0748.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Could probably replace the E6 and R4 valves make the system pressure tighter longer but they currently still operate well. Found that overnight after MV3 change Primary air remained at 60# as the secondary side still drifted off to zero.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Received the Modulator, old one was over 12ohm resistance and well past the 4-9ohm test level. Found some chafed wiring so doctored that up where the damn code still would not clear. Back into that today. Were two pair Green with Yellow trace wires found early on cut under the truck that I reconnected, will start there as found those are the 12v Outbound ABS system to the two rear Modulators. Is quite probable I got the two crossed and will validate which pair is off each side. After dealing with early days FMVSS121, I really dislike ABS systems, too easily fault prone, far too many 'Sensitive' parts.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
While I'm sure you are aware of this but just throwing this out there. Are you just trying to clear the codes or did you actually drive truck after code clearing attempt?Need to get over that 5mph speed to reset. I've had to clear then drive multiple times before. Was going crazy trying to figure what I had missed.

stinky64

Occupation
Have spent many days between the frame rails searching for that little greenie where the loom wore through or a careless test light poke left unsealed especially in winter when everything is packed with snow and salt. What a treat. I gotta invent a greenie sniffer.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
This one turned out to be a ‘fold’ break, wire harness was folded and nylon tied to tubing air lines, one of the fold back loops had broken the wire inside. Got lucky picked up with ohm meter as made and lost intermittently

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have spent many days between the frame rails searching for that little greenie where the loom wore through or a careless test light poke left unsealed especially in winter when everything is packed with snow and salt. What a treat. I gotta invent a greenie sniffer.

Will get a photo of it, Not a Greenie Sniffer but a Short Finder!! Bought in 84? has a hand held Ammeter where is essentially a circuit breaker attached into circuit to trip against short, follow the path of the wire until ammeter stops bouncing and short is in a narrow section there. Cannot put a number on how many trailers I used that on, the old Hobbs buggers were really bad for wire pinches along upper Aluminum Side rails as had a slot for wire runs. Worked well on Dump Bodies too.

stinky64

Occupation
Actually have a similar machine, but a lot cheaper fresh from flea bay used it once and it worked. Brand spankin' new Pete, no tail lights when delivered. Took out my fancy contraption and found a broken wire in the middle of the main harness dead nuts under the cab. Listened until the beep stopped then hesitantly opened the harness, after all this was a brand new truck and found the rubbery spot in the wire with no copper inside. Gotta love that eureka moment. got you mother f@cker. Within 2 weeks most other cats in the shop had one. Modern wizardry.

JPV

I have the power probe version, it has the same problem of not picking up a signal if the wire is in a bundle. It also picks up the signal if the wire is barely making contact but not enough to carry the load. I haven't been able to use it with great success very often. Maybe that one is better?