• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

KW updates

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
There is presents then there is useful presents. Buying the wife a tread mill is just a present that might end in a divorce, buying the wife if you have one like mine a cordless impact is a useful present that in the end either I bought it or she would buy it and still come out of the funds we both put into this place to build it.
Buying the wife a present that enables her to do more for things you wouldn't have to do now since she has means to do it is priceless time you can spend on other meaningful things.
Now the whole lights and decorations, yeah that's like a cable TV bill.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Got MSHP approval, took truck to decal shop for measuring, color determination, Rebecca is going to draw up a few ideas and email to me.

thinking Name, city of residence and License weight on Batt Box and Tool Box doors, will still need S/N and Fire Extinguisher Inside on sleeper and Private Conveyance Not For Hire under cab doors
She has side photos, going to overlay those on computer with generated decals.

Easy driving, and Yes had in high gear, 18.
6AA28798-6A13-4C21-AACB-F76BA9A6DB7E.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Not the KW but had to get my Ford rust terd inspected for license.
Get to the only station in town, was a week out for appointment and set up for first thing this morning.
Kid failed the ball joints, “excessive play” did not measure the play. Cautioned svc mgr that HAS to have the failure quantified against state specs in the manual, he tried to politely tell me I did not know sh!t where I then noted was Mo State licensed inspector 12 years, still know specs on my truck.

He balked, tried to walk it back but with failed inspect has to be fixed and sis I want a appointment. Let him know have the number to Troop F MVI department, know the resident inspector for this area as did the paperwork on my KW. I would change the joints as had a axle seal to fix anyway, that if I heard another no measure failure from those I know in town will be calling the State office. Checked the play myself here as I got ready to fix, 1/8” L side just a hair more R, MO state spec is 1/4” to fail. Easy enough with a folding rule to measure.
So got parts on way home, 3:30 this afternoon stopped for day. Will be changing Inner half shaft seals behind the diff cover tomorrow, L side is hanging, R side awaits cleaning mung out of tube but ball joints are i the knuckle. About 3-4 hours in it so far.

Ford said was 12 hr job. Where would be extra for other repairs as axle seal. $108/hr locally. What a bunch of scammers.
87E7E7D1-D54C-450F-A37A-8F292E7F6B37.jpeg 0C59F065-0D63-4DE0-8544-695EF39560C8.jpeg 1E08ADCD-F87E-4A99-8356-2A917F79BFF1.jpeg

Attachments

• BE87BF34-55E3-43C1-926C-7190C0BDE1E0.jpeg
    BE87BF34-55E3-43C1-926C-7190C0BDE1E0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

mitch504

I had an Olds with a 455 Rocket special in my late teens, completely rebuilt the front end, tie rod ends, idler arm, control arm bushings, ball joints, every wear part. Had all the empty cardboard boxes in the passenger floor when I took it to town for an alignment. The old man drove it up on the lift, raised it, stood under it a minute, and came back out and said, "I can't line this up, everything is too worn out. You will have to leave it here so I can rebuild the front end."
"You sure about that? Check again."
"I am sure. The tie rod ends and ball joints are barely hanging in their sockets, and the control arm bushings are barely there at all."
"Put my car down."
"No, I can't let you drive away in this thing, you'll kill somebody when it falls apart."
"Put it down, now!"
"No! I won't let you drive it away, I could be liable!"
"You put my car down, or I'll put you down, and then I'll put it down!"
He put it down and I opened the passenger door, got the armload of parts boxes, dumped them at his feet and left. I drove it the 75 miles to the next alignment shop with the tires squealing on turns.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
All manner of indiscriminate scammers out there even today.

Looked up State Inspect, printed off page that Notes MUST write down Measure of Ball Joint Movement against Known Specification on failure. Handing that to the garage mgr when reinspect.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
On to bigger worser fkups
Destroyed on new outer short shaft seal doing it the old way with ‘close’ size piece of pipe, new seal AND driver on the way
Even ford here does not have one as sell Half Shaft assemblies pre assembled, screw that.
Third member been out and back in, inboard seals went in little grief.
Seal $100
Driver $185
3735CABE-D130-4959-8B1B-8271D379022C.jpeg

At least screwed up the Long shaft side, looking forward to tomorrow.

Truck Shop

Scammers--unfortunately the effects from those types makes it twice as hard on the honest mechanic/business.
Everyone has the right to a fare profit, but not screw someone just because they can. The bigger the city the
worst it is.

56wrench

I worked with a guy once who got his start at an alignment shop. He was not a very good mechanic- he was a parts replacer:(. I was his boss-we locked horns a couple times over 6 years but i always got my way. The joke was that to fix a pickup truck, he would jack up the rad cap and slide a new truck under it. He admitted that to sell frontend parts he would use a 4ft bar and wedge it in wherever and pull down on it to show the customer deflection/wear. He was a big guy about 275lbs so basically he could show wear on a new vehicle:eek:. He was terrible at any form of diagnostics. If he needed one spare part, he would order 6. Our parts room was overstocked when i started there and it took about 3 years to get it whittled down to an acceptable level. Other than that he was a good guy to work with but sometimes i had to be one step ahead of him

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well family Xmas here is DONE, had the Wife's family out for a dinner and day at our house, wife and her sis went thru four days of hell making everything and cookie-thoning multiple batches of sweet stuff that NOBODY took any home, Bought too much food as I had been telling them, got more stupid than ever with the cookie nonsense as I had been telling them, Sis in law is Type 2 Diabetic, can have SOME sweet stuff but not as much as we have sitting here. Wife is upset as I was correct AGAIN, SSDD as told her this LAST year, fell to deaf ears and not mine. Explained as went to bed this is LAST time, we will NOT play this game again, spent a little over $600 for JUST today, not including gas, electric or anything besides the base foods and stuff these two bought. Had to slip the mutt a Doggie Downer (Apoquel) to keep he mellowed around the throngs of movement, he deserves better. Will be having THE talk with the wife, again, after her sis goes home today.

Truck Shop

That scenario plays out all across the country every holiday season. I'm glad the both of us don't
have any extended family, only the step daughter and she lives in Connecticut. Only cook a small
meal for the two of us and some fun food for Orange Cat. Plan is which ever one of us goes the
other will sell the house and move to Odd Fellows or something of that sort and drift away quietly.