• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

KW updates

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Can come on as a start quickly the effect is as a blurry spot on glasses or a hood lens you feel are looking around. Usually take years to fully form if age related. Was told long ago having blue or hazel eye color was harder on you as a welder than brown or green, something about light frequency absorption.
You are correct, I have blue eyes and can vouch for that. I have to weld on shade 12 for anything starting off and at least a 6 for cutting torch. I wear sunglasses everywhere I go, even when cloudy out for most days. On the bright sight... I can see in the dark to the point of no moon full sky of stars twilight I don't need a flashlight, you won't even know I'm coming. Too much light without glasses I get headaches from both TBI from combat and how well I can see in the dark.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
A few that have been around me to know me in anger state swear I am a changling. Normal eye color darker hazel to somewhat blue, for license and my old physicals at plant Blue. Generally in public or speaking to friends tend yo be Dark Deep Blue, when angered go to a state of steel gray, one fella that got to see that first hand while poking at the cat in the cage said I became almost machine like. Younger brother witnessed me in that state, not pretty, very much at a point of little regard for humanity.
I too can read numbers or print most require a magnifier, can do so in low to negligible light, generally walk out to stands or blinds no extra lighting.
Problem is in using torch or welder can no longer see the puddle, that color does not register so guess burned out those sensors. Even with this cataract I can still hit 20/20 vision right eye where usual is 20/15, use periphery of the letters to read them. Left eye had made 20/40 after that lens implant the deposits have it at 20/60. Poor welds that show are due in part to cataract and mono-vision as generally ignore left eye input as not that great acuity.
Has been explained I am one of a scattered few that has altering eye color, doc I go to saw the variations for herself and does not dispute occurs. As to the welding issue, the light fequencies the blue iris will allow thru is what eats our eyes up over time.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
That would work if you can get enough, might need some help which I can do like I did for my lovely neighbor that doesn't live out here. I signed him up for al the exclusive deals from places like here ;)
https://www.boyzshop.com/
Great can't wait to see what kind of spam and click bait I get after clicking on that link.:eek:

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Can come on as a start quickly the effect is as a blurry spot on glasses or a hood lens you feel are looking around. Usually take years to fully form if age related. Was told long ago having blue or hazel eye color was harder on you as a welder than brown or green, something about light frequency absorption.

Which is why people with those colored eyes should wear sunglasses much as possible to offset it, namely polarized lenses.
Years ago while ice fishing way up north in Canada our whole clan of blue/hazel eyed clan got what would almost equate to arc flash, (burning, itching, sensitivity to light) after spending a week on the ice the intense northern sun. Cause was cheap sunglasses (Damn you ZZ Top) Ever since then polarized glasses are a must.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I have been wearing photo grays since those came out in 1973, can't do without them now.

Wore photograys until 88, had to swap up to fixed polarized as left eye will not dial into light value fast enough, have gotten used to magnetic over the glasses polarized, love them. When second lens is complete will be Polarized sunglasses from here on out!! Fisherman's Friend!!

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
Wife has cataracts, left eye came on very quickly, ( less than 6 months). Surgery is set for Feb.1 for the first one. She had shingles a couple of years ago affecting her left side of her face and that is the side that has the acceleration of the cataract. Dr said that could contribute to the acceleration. Cam

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Wife has cataracts, left eye came on very quickly, ( less than 6 months). Surgery is set for Feb.1 for the first one. She had shingles a couple of years ago affecting her left side of her face and that is the side that has the acceleration of the cataract. Dr said that could contribute to the acceleration. Cam
Hope the surgery goes well for her.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I did the photo-gray for my first set of bifocals. I found out it takes some time before they lighten up. On a bright summer day, the glasses darkened up fine. Then I'd have to look in an engine compartment for a serial number and it was like night without a light. I'd take the glasses off but couldn't read the number.

I ended up with the clip on polarized covers. Not the best solution but it's adequate.