• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

In my experience…

ahart

One of the worst cases of ammonia slip I’ve seen in a while on an SCR catalyst. DEF injector failed to shut off properly for an extended period of time and filled the DEF mixing chamber full of dried DEF fluid. B00C4393-5989-4831-BB5A-0A172CF9ADBA.jpeg
^^^ mixing chamber as seen from the injector port. 623489DD-AF92-41DD-9B11-DC1F460F4683.jpeg
^^^^failed DEF injector, 8800 hrs.

JD955SC

We have been finding a leaking DEF injector is common on the smaller engines and builds a nice crystal cavern in the chamber. Replacing the injector and burning it out using ET with the sulfation recovery procedures and manual regens seems to work well.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Any of you guys that work on large heavy equipment in the field, what model of 1” drive pneumatic impact are you using? I run an Ingersoll Rand 3940B2Ti, works great for 90% of what I do at a max output of 2500 ft lb, I have ran into a few places where it’s too long to do the job, one being track frame bolts on a Komatsu PC-1100. I’d like to get the same wrench in a pistol grip for things like that.

im a little late to the party but I’ve had a Chicago pneumatic 1” extended anvil since I went independent. Works pretty good but the extended anvil got in the way a few times. Then I was in my local independent parts store and they had a Milwaukee horn anvil 1” kit. He meant to order an extended anvil but got the short one and offered it to me at cost. It was still like $1400 for the gun, charger, and 2 12.0 ah batteries but holy smokes is that thing an animal! Plus I don’t have to run the truck to run my compressor.

ahart

I’ve tossed around the idea of buying a 1” cordless, I’ve also considered buying an air regulated wrench (rad or hytorc or similar) Im thinking the regulated wrench will probably serve my purpose the best. Some tight bolts can’t just be cut off with a torch, like large tractor master bolts or track frame bolts. Would be nice for torquing swing transmission bolts on large excavators also.

Zewnten

I’ve tossed around the idea of buying a 1” cordless, I’ve also considered buying an air regulated wrench (rad or hytorc or similar) Im thinking the regulated wrench will probably serve my purpose the best. Some tight bolts can’t just be cut off with a torch, like large tractor master bolts or track frame bolts. Would be nice for torquing swing transmission bolts on large excavators also.

Used an 1-1/2 dr pnuematic rad gun. After that I didn't want to bother with torque multipliers anymore.

chidog

I like the taking things apart with an impact. I never use then to finish assembly or installation of any component.
Except maybe track shoe bolts. One fellow I did some work for wanted me to heat the track shoe nuts till red then impact the bolts tight.

Truck Shop

Upgraded the HVAC box in the kenworth this morning, long overdue as the factory one was rusted through. Bought the replacement box fully loaded from shoreline truck parts out of Holland, Michigan. It’s all stainless and came with evap, heater core, blower motor, expansion valve, thermostat, and fresh air duct/actuator. Built well, fit right in like it should, and their customer service is excellent. It was expensive, but so is everything else, especially things that last. Glad to support an American company as well.

I've been working on trucks how long? In all my years I have never seen a HVAC box eaten up like that.
So much for the midwest.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic

I’ve got a torq-up I found on eBay. Does up to 1000 ft lbs and had a recent calibration when I bought it. Don’t use it often but when you need it…

ahart

I've been working on trucks how long? In all my years I have never seen a HVAC box eaten up like that.
So much for the midwest.
Believe it or not, even with all that rot, still hands down the best AC in a service truck I’ve ever had. Also sucked a lot of dirt in though

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
So much for the midwest.
We had 1 KW at the feed mill, guy that drove it kept it super clean even under the hood.He started to complain about no heat, hoses were hot, all the controls worked??Got to looking closer at the air box and noticed a big hole where someone had permatexed a piece of something over the extreme rot, the fan was blowing all the heat into the engine compartment. Fabricated a "better cap" for the bottom of the box and it was still working when I quit.

ahart

Update to the failed def injector, spent the better part of a day running hot water through SCR mixer chamber and got all the hard DEF formation dissolved. Did have to soak overnight to get the last stubborn residue completely dissolved. Reinstalled CEM on machine and after replacing a defective coolant temp sensor due to it not reading over 104 degrees, I was able to complete an aftertreatment system functional test and all codes went away.
Before and after photos of the mixing chamber through the DEF injector port.
4D85E91D-1BB5-4717-BA57-A0625CC906D6.jpeg4651070E-87A6-4C16-9416-CD0A7D558AD9.jpeg

ahart

Just a little reminder to anyone who works in a live traffic construction area, stay the hell away from the barrier wall. I’ve seen a lot of guys leaning up against them and standing by them as if they are impenetrable, they are not. This is from one of the interstate jobs that I’m on multiple times a week. I’m standing beside a D8T, for perception.

Attachments

• B7C93278-42F2-4018-AC5E-785588A83BBC.jpeg
    B7C93278-42F2-4018-AC5E-785588A83BBC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 62

eastroad

I thought they were pinned together. At least we did
That depends on the design and the requirements of the job. The ones that precast made here had loops of rebar that on the ends that could be pinned, but most of the early jersey barriers we made did not. Also those loops can get damaged in handling and as a result there could be spots in the run that weren’t as well supported. It would be the responsibility of the contractor’s safety person, the inspector, and the job super to make sure the barrier was as safe as it could be. also you play a part in this: ”If you see something, say something”.

ahart

627K transmission clutch failure and differential spider update. Wouldn’t have been a bad job if not for the brake control manifold that has to come off of the front of the diff housing. Cat also decided they wanted the diff out to do the spider update AFTER I pulled the transmission, they’re easier to pull together. It’s all wrapped up and have 3 more machines to do the same to, all low hour failures. 601838B4-1BD2-4816-99F1-78748109B6EC.jpeg
070C1CE7-6859-4498-8158-E1021300B8A4.jpeg
Above debris is the clutch material from the transmission sump.

chidog

In the photo it looks like metal pieces? Except for plates the material is a fiber of sorts?
Are you opening those up outside?

ahart

The clutch disks in the 627K is a bronze material. Transmission has been repaired and diff reworked per the updates by Cat.