• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

In my experience…

Tyler d4c

That is what he told me and one of the reasons he bought it. I found some reference the 4200 was the short hood and could also come with 903 Cummins and I think a V800 whatever that is. I've only ever seen them listed with an 8V-71. Apparently the 903's weren't the best in truck applications but were very popular in 4 articulated wheel drive tractors.
Was the 3408 version a 4200 or 4300 I remember seeing a brochure for such a truck somewhere.

Oxbow

Yes, but probably quit fast enough to toss part out the side.

Also on a somewhat side note a Detroit can run backwards. I'm not referring to ones set up for that like say some boats that have them run that way to balance out the torque effect from the props.

I mean if an operator lets one stall going up hill and then does not push in the clutch and truck rolls backwards. Seen one do that my first year at quarry back in 1968! Lucky someone got the driver to kill engine fast before lack of oil pressure killed it big time. It was an old standard transmission Euclid haul truck.
An A model 3406 will as well, or at least mine did when I had my wife pull the truck away from a dock where my doors were toughing the neighboring trailer and I was back there macking sure they didn't catch on each other. It took me a moment or two to figure out what had happened.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
And you are absolutely correct about that.
At one time (many years ago) I had a 4300 with a 400 cummins and a 4200 8v71. I don't recall the hood being any shorter on the 4200.

Truck Shop

At one time (many years ago) I had a 4300 with a 400 cummins and a 4200 8v71. I don't recall the hood being any shorter on the 4200.
4200 is shorter-I think it's more like 8", early western stars also offered a short hood version.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
By the way, I like your piece of conveyor belting over the tilt cylinder!
In certain types of application we found these worked well to protect blade tilt cylinder rods, and obviously seals because the rods weren't getting dinged so often.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
A Detroit that runs backwards for any more than a few seconds needs a new air filter. I've seen some with filter elements that were mostly burned out and dusted the engine.
Well the one I witnessed had an oil bath filter, but do recall a bit of a mess running down the fender!

Welder Dave

Maybe the 10" is a different reference referring to the axle or something?? Must have been lots of demand to make the short hood models. They might be better for applications like dump trucks where the longer hoods are better for highway service. Similar to Ford LTL's.

ahart

Ran across a fuel dilution problem on a Cat 323F a couple weeks ago. Not a common issue with the C7.1 engines. Just over 9000 hrs on machine. Pulled the valve cover on the job and checked over the injectors, no issues found. Electric priming pump so no fuel/oil contact there. Figured it had to be the seal on the high pressure pump so I had it hauled back to the shop. Pulled counterweight and pulled the water pump. I could see fuel under the high pressure pump drive gear so I went ahead and removed the high pressure pump. Pulled the gear and found the seal hanging out. Checked the return side for blockage and replaced the fuel line with the low side pressure regulator in it just to be safe. Talked with TC at Cat about it and DSN only showed one other case of this happening and it was internal pump failure. This was only the second high pressure pump I’ve ever changed on a Perkins/Cat engine. Very low failure rate in my experience with them.
IMG_2372.jpeg

ahart

I picked up a new to me year 2000 New Holland 2120 tractor with a 7309 loader a couple weeks ago, needed something besides the 4010 Deere to run a tiller on and figured it would be handy with the firewood also. I bought it knowing it had a hydraulic leak, owner said it was coming from between the cases. I cleaned it all off last weekend and verified that’s where it was coming from, has a leak at the steering orbital seal also. Decided I’d tear into it this afternoon. There’s a lot to take off to split one of these units, basically take it all the way to bare case. I got the bell housing off of the center case and when I started pulling the center case to transmission bolts, they were loose. They use a liquid sealer in between the cases so it has to come all the way apart to reseal. I got the center case off, cleaned up, resealed and put back on. Gotta get some new orings and a gasket to finish up, another solid afternoon and it should be done.
IMG_2403.jpeg
IMG_2404.jpeg