• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

In my experience…

chidog

Looks like bronze material is not a good idea? Was that the work shop out there? Not fun stuff.

ahart

From what I understand, cat changed to the bronze clutch disks with the G model scrapers though I won’t swear to that. I pulled components in the field and they were transported to the Cat component rebuild center for repair as there was participation from cat on the repair cost. After repair, components were reinstalled. I’m going to guess roughly 16 hrs for R/I.

Zewnten

Shop had one of those about a week ago. Fun times, one guy tore it down, got sick, so another put it together. I helped the first so I got to help the second figure out where the first had stashed all the parts haha.

ahart

Not my normal area of expertise, but I guess they figured since it was bolted to the concrete and I’m the guy with sockets on my truck, it falls under the mechanic umbrella. This morning I was tasked with putting a 75 X 90 structural steel building on the ground. Took about 4 hours but it layed down pretty smoothly. 4C7DBC9F-3F20-4C43-891F-8F482ED07F02.jpeg61465CF9-8C88-4105-AFF7-F4BBF48BBA27.jpeg

ahart

Took all the nuts off all the way around, most were 3/4”, it had an H frame between one of the sets of beams on each side that had 16 2-7/16 (socket size) nuts on them. Those were welded to the studs in the concrete. Cut those off flush and went back and cut all the 3/4” studs off flush. Then used a 345D and a 235C to push on the top of one end.

ahart

Anybody ever change the gas springs on a D series excavator 70/30 front windshield? #32 in the picture, if so, how did you accomplish it? I’ve done several and the only way I can get them on there is to drill a hole in each end and collapse, then tie together with a piece of mechanics wire. When the window is down, the gas spring is fully collapsed. When window is up, it’s not quite fully extended. It works out, just figure there’s got to be a better way 02716813-E817-485A-9E94-1A61CCEDB034.png

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Not my normal area of expertise, but I guess they figured since it was bolted to the concrete and I’m the guy with sockets on my truck, it falls under the mechanic umbrella. This morning I was tasked with putting a 75 X 90 structural steel building on the ground. Took about 4 hours but it layed down pretty smoothly. View attachment 284322View attachment 284321

They had a 345 and needed help to take that PMB down?:oops:

Was the slab intended to be saved?

ahart

Hell no they busted it all up too. I think they wanted it all down flat and not wadded up and hanging everywhere. There’s an interstate off ram right over the top of it now.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Hell no they busted it all up too. I think they wanted it all down flat and not wadded up and hanging everywhere. There’s an interstate off ram right over the top of it now.

I'm guess that crew doesn't do demo that often? With a 345 I could've had that building on the ground, stacked and sorted by myself. :)

ahart

Had a couple occurrences of low boost pressure and boost pressure sensor calibration codes on this 349F excavator. Job foreman called me (job is 2 hrs away) and explained codes they had, with just over 10k hrs on machine I told them to go ahead and put a manifold pressure sensor in it and see what happens. They put on in and said all was good. Couple days later the code was back on and they also mention they’re putting in around a gallon of coolant in a day and can’t find a leak. I ordered all the parts to do the NRS cooler and water lines update. I checked out the boost issue and found the pressure sensor was either slow to pick up boost pressure or slow to go back to zero. Removed the sensor from the adapter fitting and found adapter fitting was completely plugged with hard packed soot as was the port in the manifold it threaded into. I’ve seen the NRS Venturi ports get plugged like this plenty of times (checked them afterwards and they were not plugged) but I’ve not seen the soot make it all the way to the manifold pressure sensor fittings. NRS cooler showed signs of leaking, replaced it with updated parts and all was good. B15B3C08-5065-4964-BEC4-790DA5054D85.jpeg48369686-C861-4B87-8334-BA6ED20E7D5F.jpeg

nicky 68a

Better off working by yourself if possible unless your mates are on their game.
I’ve spent 30 years removing blades off D8’s that were pulling pans as you chaps call them.Very straight forward job as we used to bury them into the ground and reverse out of them.We almost never removed and stripped them for hauling purposes.
However,this year has seen me working on a job removing a fair few L/N/R and T blades.All were good pins with no wear and nearly all were too tight to pull out.We lanced most of them unfortunately.
Not through lack of trying

ahart

I tell you what, throw it in a bucket and send it next Wednesday evening so we can get thanksgiving off. We’ve got Six 627 scrapers, 6 740/745 haul trucks, a 374F, D8T, D6T, D6N and a 349 hoe on this job right now and only one poor field mechanic.
IMG_2148.jpeg

Last edited:

ahart

Anyone who’s ever done these knows, tailgate mount bolts broke off in the bottom of the bed on a 740, 5 out of 8 broke off. Was able to extract 4 of them and had to drill the last one all the way through and torch it to the threads. Couldn’t get it to move for anything. There’s about 2” of threads in the plate. That’s a lot of fight in a stuck bolt.

IMG_2150.jpeg