• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

In my experience…

JD955SC

I’m seeing more and more parts who’s only availability is far outside the US, and I’m talking simple stuff like seals or similar. And often when you order it you find out they don’t actually have it on hand they are waiting on the next batch from the manufacturer and will ship it in two months when that batch finally arrives.

ahart

Yes, it is very hard to get used to as when I started out at the coal mine, we had enough parts on hand to build a D11R from scratch and now you can’t spin an oil filter off before checking to see if you can get one to replace it.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
A little road side service this morning. I personally have never came across a wheel doing this though I’m sure it’s something that happens from time to time. View attachment 261814
Looks like questionable steel recipe.
Wheels take much fatigue as they rotate, looks like it cracked from poor steel. Either it was brittle in itself, or it affected the welding.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I’m seeing more and more parts who’s only availability is far outside the US, and I’m talking simple stuff like seals or similar. And often when you order it you find out they don’t actually have it on hand they are waiting on the next batch from the manufacturer and will ship it in two months when that batch finally arrives.

No doubt. Had a rubber hose on the intercooler of our 325FL split. There were two available in the Cat system - one in Germany and one in China...

Salesman went to another dealer branch and they took one off a new machine so we could keep working. Did the same thing when the 3rd valve went out on the same machine as well, probably took it off the same new machine.

ahart

Ran into a real strange problem on the regen on a 627K a couple weeks back. Had a persistent code for primary transformer current below normal, put my cat certified spark tester on there, starting at the coil and had good spark, checked wire, good spark through the tester, hook a spare spark plug up and it would spark when held close to ground. Seen plenty of ARD heads not spark due to the probe being worn down as mentioned in a previous post, ordered and installed. Checked the old ARD head out and had high resistance between the ground probe and the swirl plate face. These are both cast as one piece. Checked the new one and had .2 ohms as I would have expected. I’m just going to guess something with the metallurgy created high resistance. With the new ARD head, no spark and same primary transformer code. Installed new transformer coil and back in business. I’m going to guess the high resistance loaded the coil to the point that it got weak. Cat says not to use the adjustable spark testers and the light was bright with the tester they offer hooked to ground but when you hooked it in line with the spark plug it was very weak. I guess I unknowingly found the root cause of the issue by replacing the ARD head. Going off of looks alone, I would have never changed it as it did not show Normal wear that I’ve seen on others. 9FEFBB20-55E3-4289-BBBB-02512DCA34E6.jpeg8F23B92E-8101-4F26-A115-2796BAACE3B5.jpeg

ahart

Finally broke down and bought a jump pack, did some research online and decided on the ES1224 truck pac. 3000 peak amps, does 12v and 24v, used it 4 times this week and it’s a hell of a unit. Cranks over a dead machine like it’s got a new set of batteries in it. Comes in real handy on a dead machine that I can’t get the truck to.

ahart

I took it on a recent short trip we went on because for some strange reason I had to jump start the car before leaving, never happened before and hasn’t happened since. But it was nice to have the jump pack just in case.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've been using them for about ten years. Mine even has a USB jack.

ahart

Can you get power out of the round port with the switch off?
The way the operator manual reads, yes the 12v port can be used when the switch is in the off position. You can also use that port to charge the jump pack via a cig lighter in a vehicle or to maintain memory when vehicle battery is removed.

skyking1

perfect. That would come in handy for a battery swap. Both my rigs have a hot port so that works.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Mine has the barrel switch for twelve or twenty four. I've seen others that have a cable and set of plugs. One plug is for twenty four, the other for twelve. One of the units I had in a yard had the barrel switch and unknown to us it was stuck in twelve volt. My guy hooked it to a twenty four volt on a D9T and it blew up with a big bang. I don't know of any improvements. I'll get a photo in the morning to compare to what you have.

ahart

Never thought about the barrel switch sticking on one voltage or the other but it makes good sense. I’ve seen the type that uses different ports for the 2 voltages.

ahart

Any of you guys that work on large heavy equipment in the field, what model of 1” drive pneumatic impact are you using? I run an Ingersoll Rand 3940B2Ti, works great for 90% of what I do at a max output of 2500 ft lb, I have ran into a few places where it’s too long to do the job, one being track frame bolts on a Komatsu PC-1100. I’d like to get the same wrench in a pistol grip for things like that.

JD955SC

Any of you guys that work on large heavy equipment in the field, what model of 1” drive pneumatic impact are you using? I run an Ingersoll Rand 3940B2Ti, works great for 90% of what I do at a max output of 2500 ft lb, I have ran into a few places where it’s too long to do the job, one being track frame bolts on a Komatsu PC-1100. I’d like to get the same wrench in a pistol grip for things like that.

no reason to stray from a winning formula (no I can’t vouch for the vendor, never ordered from them). For me, if IR is an answer then it is the answer

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.c...5lEJOVKh8-tbEr4vjQkTZs_sDRIgpjGBoCkEAQAvD_BwE

ahart

Upgraded the HVAC box in the kenworth this morning, long overdue as the factory one was rusted through. Bought the replacement box fully loaded from shoreline truck parts out of Holland, Michigan. It’s all stainless and came with evap, heater core, blower motor, expansion valve, thermostat, and fresh air duct/actuator. Built well, fit right in like it should, and their customer service is excellent. It was expensive, but so is everything else, especially things that last. Glad to support an American company as well. 9362056F-C623-45C6-8A53-AC7FBF2FA7E2.jpeg30036131-C9C5-4330-B8E6-F6FF2D83BD65.jpeg 46E83CC4-5D65-40E0-A0B9-7DC0926AE7D3.jpeg