• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EV

cfherrman

Never heard of bifacial panels, that's pretty cool. I'm wanting to do pv as well just don't have the money, definitely have the room and a south fence to install them on, could change the fence to white vinyl for a bifacial panels setup as well. Wonder how much reflects off of grass.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Never heard of bifacial panels, that's pretty cool. I'm wanting to do pv as well just don't have the money, definitely have the room and a south fence to install them on, could change the fence to white vinyl for a bifacial panels setup as well. Wonder how much reflects off of grass.
About half or little less than snow, approximately .20 albedo for grass versus .5 for snow.

skyking1

If I put them on the ground I'll flop them like they do that array alongside i-90 by ellensburg. They have it set up so it doesn't track the Sun in two axes, just the one. The thing is I can manually adjust the elevation seasonally also on a setup like that. It increases output tremendously.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
If I put them on the ground I'll flop them like they do that array alongside i-90 by ellensburg. They have it set up so it doesn't track the Sun in two axes, just the one. The thing is I can manually adjust the elevation seasonally also on a setup like that. It increases output tremendously.
For the money folks put into 4 axis tilt tracking system they can buy more panels to compensate and still come out cheaper, plus less moving parts. For 2 axis tilt system you are actually only looking about 4 to 5% gain on an average of a 18kw system in a place that gets 4 to 5 hrs of peak sunlight a day, you will only get 3 to 4 hours over there and a 12kw system will be less gain. Just put them in the middle and forget it since it's rare it snows in Sequim.
sunny-hours-us-map.gif

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Set them up for winter sun angle or a little higher. In summer the days are so long and sunny, your batteries will be full charged by 11 am anyway even with the wrong angle. No moving parts. I worked on one guy's tracker and said never again.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Just in from BIL, ALL the STL Metro Buses are DOWN, BEEN Down. Initially started on the Gillig Chassis, Battery Coolant alarms, Lowering Level, found Battery Cooling system leaking INTO battery Spaces, ON ROOF Of Bus. Coolant is Conductive, ALL Known Coolants beyond Distilled Water or Demineralized water are Conductive except Oil Base but not feasible, Demin Water NOT Feasible. Cummins has ownership of Warranty so NOT been released to News Media, but ALL the EV Buses are currently DEAD here until Cummins determines the Repair to Fix. Five WEEKS and Counting.

skyking1

I could use a dump truck like that for my particular job. It is a very specific duty, I rarely drive more than ~100 miles a day. I get there and go to work with the excavator, and if I need more bedding I bring it the next day.

Delmer

It's really a shame they can't get the city buses figured out. The Scania exec almost came right out and said they're only doing electric trucks to give street cred to their buses. Buses, garbage trucks, and similar vehicles are the low hanging fruit for EV's in the western world. Cars don't get enough "duty cycle" to pay for the battery, long haul trucks are too range limited (or battery swap logistics limited).

Saw this clickbait article, and it makes perfect sense, replace two cycle transportation before replacing gas cars, and long before diesels.
https://restofworld.org/2022/scoote...ng-an-ev-revolution/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Labparamour

Saw an article the other day on an electric Peterbilt chassis. 150 mile range and 8 hour charging period. Seems like its use would be limited to a very local delivery truck.

I think I’ve heard some cities are proposing limiting/prohibiting internal combustion engines in heart of city.
Truck like this could make those deliveries.

crane operator

I think I’ve heard some cities are proposing limiting/prohibiting internal combustion engines in heart of city.

London has a "low emissions" area in the center of the city. A couple of the magazine's I get show telehandlers with removable battery racks, and I've seen a liebherr crawler that runs off a umbilical cord, just for london work.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone/penalty-charges

Daily fee for working in the zone:

100pounds a day if you meet euro IV but not euro VI

300 pounds a day if you don't meet euro VI.

Penalty if you're there but haven't paid the fee:

1000 pounds if you meet euro IV, or 2,000 pounds if you don't meet VI.

Map of the "zone":

upload_2022-9-12_16-8-37.png

suladas

London has a "low emissions" area in the center of the city. A couple of the magazine's I get show telehandlers with removable battery racks, and I've seen a liebherr crawler that runs off a umbilical cord, just for london work.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone/penalty-charges

Daily fee for working in the zone:

100pounds a day if you meet euro IV but not euro VI

300 pounds a day if you don't meet euro VI.

Penalty if you're there but haven't paid the fee:

1000 pounds if you meet euro IV, or 2,000 pounds if you don't meet VI.

Map of the "zone":

View attachment 267994

Be a cold day in hell before I’d live in a place that did something like that.