• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EV

56wrench

Well, they certainly look aerodynamic. Many times over the years while grossed out at 63.5 mt, pushing into a strong headwind, i wished i had something more ‘slippery’

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
So where are they going to plug in at to charge, I must of missed something cause last time I was at truck stops in town I didn't see any semi charging stations. Seen a car charging station for Tesla at one of them, but that's it and I know there is nothing within 500 miles either.
Even then if they did have charging stations, guess they are going to get their mandatory hours of service breaks waiting on charging :rolleyes:

Truck Shop

The price of the replacement windshield should be interesting. Wonder how the boy's
who like drop visors and shiny spanglers/farkles are going to like those. Paper sacks
will have a run on them, everyone driving around with a sack on their head.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I wouldn't be much of a fan of buying Tesla anything right now. The way they keep a real tight hold on parts and such. How and where do you service a Tesla?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG

crane operator

They are running electric trucks right now coming out of the Port of LA aren't they? I could see that being a great route for the ev. Pull into the container yard, pull it out to a remote storage facility for transfer to a OTR truck. Charge at the remote storage yard.

I talked last week with a power producing company employee, they are really concerned about a lot more power usage, when they don't have capacity for it. I've been getting notices for years that I need to install high efficiency HVAC, appliances, and even light bulbs to "save energy". And now they want us plugging in a bunch of chargers.

I'm on the hybrid bandwagon. Give me a diesel over electric with a battery that I can charge off the diesel, would beat the DEF issues in the crane category. I could also probably get by with a full electric for some of my cranes- the ones that come and go daily from my yard. I'd just be stuck when they go to a jobsite for a week, with no way to charge.

I can see the ev for the post office, UPS/ amazon delivery guys, maybe even the garbage trucks. Lots of short runs with regen on stopping. Daily start and stop from the same facility on 8 hour or less runs.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well, they certainly look aerodynamic. Many times over the years while grossed out at 63.5 mt, pushing into a strong headwind, i wished i had something more ‘slippery’

In the early 1980s while with Feld Truck Rental we bought EVERY aerodynamic set up known to Engineering, installed shields, flaps, skirts, accordion Side Connector Curtains, whale tail trailer back covers and what we found was we LOST Economy per ton/mile freight moved due to Weight of the Obnoxious ADD ONS. Went to the Then McDonnell Aircraft Company as had a Wind Tunnel system in St Louis. Had models constructed and tested, only REAL problem was Air Speed. Truck in the Tunnel at 65mph to 75mph had so much Negating Turbulence about it that no matter the screens, shields, blankets, whatever's, nothing showed as functional until drove speed of Air up over 130mph. That equates to a Semi(Long Nose or COE) at 65mph bucking a 65mph headwind, Long noses won the best flow at continuous Highway Speeds, COEs at general City Speeds. NOTHING is truly Aerodynamic until over 130, Railroads proved that in the 1930s thru 40s, those Streamliner engines were later discontinued as did nothing to curb fuel consumption but they looked good and looked fast standing still.

Last edited:

cfherrman

I wouldn't doubt the drivers would leave the whole truck and trailer and hop into a fully charged truck as well.

I'm full on electric motors and power, I have a dream to pull my engine and drive train out of my rig and install a 3-350 HP Genset with a 6-8L engine and run a 200 HP electric motor with a freq drive. Would cost me probably 40k but 200 HP at zero rpm would give me tons of pulling power over a diesel at idle.

Truck Shop

The reason I posted this is I posted about it 3 years ago. It got a lot of thumbs down, would never happen
and no one will buy it .
Moods have changed-a little more positive. Other than it's ugly sort of.
Odd how people change in short time-{I think they realize it's coming and there's nothing to stop
it other than electric supply. Which if drought continues that could have a major effect.
In the early 1980s while with Feld Truck Rental we bought EVERY aerodynamic set up known to Engineering, in

One of the brand new three axle Freightliner Cascadia's showed up three weeks ago.
When it hits 50mph it automatically lowers 2.5", with the newer front air dam and side foils with
trailer sucked up close to rear cab faring's grossing 80K running steady on cruise with AMT trans
engine rated at 515 hp 1700 torque---It's been averaging 7.8 to the gallon

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Having worked Electricity industry, still have to throw a cold towel on the EV trucks, yes they can do great running the Valley or the median ranges of grades of the rolling hills N and S of there, do not see them do all so great climbing for-seemingly-ever as on Cabbage or the Three Sisters or across I-40 even in Summer where also have to consider battery longevity when severe cold arrives. Can rail freight vast quantities to depots where can then be distributed as back in the 20s/30s on EVs as that would be the functionally intelligent way to do it rather than convoys of potential catastrophic loss trucks set to individual stops all along the way.
Takes Electricity to recharge these, they do have electrical and chemical fires from abusive cycling, there is a concern for battery life then into recycling these seriously toxic chemical storage systems. From the DC side it either has to be Inverted to AC for efficacy in Frequency drives where both become a loss of volumetric stores or use it as DC and deal with the heat of delivery at amperages that defy imagination. Everything still has to be cooled when Hot, even when cold outside as well during cold certain processes have to remain heated. I fully understand the Regenerative process during Braking where use generators to slow these machines recharging battery yet that also generates degrading heat and takes toll upon the systems where who is going to repair these? Will be 80% Electrician work, CERTIFIED High Voltage Electricians, the remainder being the ground pounding mechanic components that are 'Beneath' the skills levels of the electricians for changing tires or suspension or crossmembers and body work. Machines require repairs, these will be no different and there is not a infrastructure in place to do just that yet.

Certified Juice-tricians are a Hot Commodity these days, not many entertaining joinng any more than newbies to Mechanical industries. Just grunts to change tires are slim in finding then have to consider that recycling industry for the batteries that also does not exist in any volume as scrap dealers also cannot find labor. Are we not painting ourselves into a exceeding additional Blind Hole Corner??

Vetech63

I have never studied any of the electric vehicles of any kind so consider me ignorant on the subject. With that being said, can anyone explain to me why an EV battery can't be charged while the EV is in motion? In my simple thinking mind, you should be able to generate current for a battery charge while the EV is in motion.

cfherrman

As someone pointed out above, Tesla is terrible with parts and repairs. Currently you can't really buy replacement parts and the current thought is just to trade it in if broken. Of course that won't work with trucks but I will be sitting with popcorn and watching how this works out.