• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EV

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well by then all the Midwest haulers will be LONG out of business and no one looking to add more any power semi's.

Delmer

Interesting. I thought WA or OR was planning to eliminate gas and diesel before that. No new diesels by 2040 and no more old ones in use by 2042 isn't exactly revolutionary, and it's just a proposal according to the link.

In the last twenty years diesels have gone through the revolution that gas vehicles did between 1970 and 1990, I won't claim to predict what will come out of the next twenty.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Maybe we need to be looking to transition to more rail transport and electric for that power? Not saying it would work in every location but possibly help for some long haul things? Then again that electric power would need to come from some place!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Maybe we need to be looking to transition to more rail transport and electric for that power? Not saying it would work in every location but possibly help for some long haul things? Then again that electric power would need to come from some place!

Going to Catenary systems as the Milwaukee Road once used would be simplest, Engines are already 600vAC so a line transformer system to that for distance hauls would be a fairly rapid swap where Diesels can still be used or converted to a Hybrid as some East Coast engines already are.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I just liked the raw math he was throwing out there. Years ago I did a bit of my own math and found (I think) that single 18 wheeler hauling gas/diesel from the terminal to a gas station here in town 60 or 80 miles one way making a couple of trips a day, would carry the same amount of energy as a 115 k overhead power line, or something like that. And how many 18 wheelers of gas are making that trip every day? How many electric power lines would have to be constructed to take their place? And the power plants to make that electricity are already tapped out pretty much.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That's exactly what I want to do to my rig, diesel over electric

I work in power generation after years in trucks. What I have to say about that is that a huge generator married to a huge electric motor is a lot of weight in copper and iron 2x. Then add the batteries. It is done in locomotives, but in a loco, extra weight is a benefit, in a truck it is a liability. Also in a dozer.

By contrast a truck transmission is not that heavy of a component compared to motors and generators. Maybe if you could find a way to remove the diffs, ring and pinions and drive wheels directly. But an electric motor on a wheel end, these days mfrs. can't make anything right, they would find a way to screw it up.

cfherrman

Yeah I got 4 axles so I have room and weight to spare, plus only currently goes 45 mph (ratioed out) down the road.

I've kinda wondered about batteries, I don't think I would need any.

First setup I'd just run one electric motor basically in place of the current drive line, but if it works like I think is have 3 motors, 1 (200-300 HP) to drive down the road, and 1 for each drum (1 200-300 HP and 1 probably 50-100) and would eliminate a ton of power transfer components. I would run electric air compressor and electric hydraulics too, so much easier setup.

I would think a b6 Cummins Genset rated around 350 HP would make this thing sing.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Yeah I got 4 axles so I have room and weight to spare, plus only currently goes 45 mph (ratioed out) down the road.

I've kinda wondered about batteries, I don't think I would need any.

First setup I'd just run one electric motor basically in place of the current drive line, but if it works like I think is have 3 motors, 1 (200-300 HP) to drive down the road, and 1 for each drum (1 200-300 HP and 1 probably 50-100) and would eliminate a ton of power transfer components. I would run electric air compressor and electric hydraulics too, so much easier setup.

I would think a b6 Cummins Genset rated around 350 HP would make this thing sing.
Manual transmission drive line is 98% efficient.
Alternator with wheel motors is 93% efficient.

cfherrman

I have an automatic, tons of drive lines, and chains and sprockets and driving down the road is my last consideration and no matter the setup you won't find me going faster than 50 in my rig

And if you remember my posts earlier, electric motors in my application will have tons more power. I would bet a 200 HP motor would pull the same or better than a 400 diesel.