• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 450 . DIESEL

Delmer

Tinkerer, are you saying it's not feasible to remove the radiator and leave the heavy structural parts in place?

To remove those cylinders, like alrman said, the pins that go into the trunnions have to come out, each cylinder has two pins with grease fittings/zerks in the end, those pins are held in place with the clamping through bolts on the side of the cylinder pivot base. remove the through bolts and then the pins will pull out, might need to remove the zerks to use a bolt or 1/8" pipe to pull the pins.

mcprp

Tinkerer, are you saying it's not feasible to remove the radiator and leave the heavy structural parts in place?

To remove those cylinders, like alrman said, the pins that go into the trunnions have to come out, each cylinder has two pins with grease fittings/zerks in the end, those pins are held in place with the clamping through bolts on the side of the cylinder pivot base. remove the through bolts and then the pins will pull out, might need to remove the zerks to use a bolt or 1/8" pipe to pull the pins.
Whoa ! I thought you meant I could undo the piston cylinders at the bottom and remove the bolts for

mcprp

Whoa ! I thought you meant I could undo the piston cylinders at the bottom and remove the Bolts to the shroud and raise the whole assembly up making sure the shroud clears the fan , of coarse this would be done with a come along attached to the top part of the protective cage that protects you from falling debris . I thought I understood this now he’s confusing me

mcprp

No my head is spinning now . The radiator will remain attached to the shroud so just make sure it clears the fan . Man please don’t make anything more complicated . I got it and it makes perfect sense !

mcprp

It was my understand that by disconnecting the bottom of the lift cylinders that the whole shroud assembly would raise up . Now that I think of it of coarse I’m probably wrong but it seems like that hood should pivot right up like a hood on a car . But I’ll go with the original plan and plan on using a come a long

mcprp

Maybe I don’t see those pins because they are covered by a thick coat of paint . Because otherwise I would have figured that out . There is defiantly not bolts there only the one the picture

Tinkerer

No, mcprp stated he wanted to remove the shroud to gain easy access. If that is what he wants to do, then removing both as an assembly is easier and quicker.
Here is a drawing from the parts book of the two units. It shows the bolt locations. Maybe it will help him somewhat.

2019-08-11_204744.png 2019-08-11_205000.png

mcprp

Yes that is it ! Exactly
Imagine trying to reach inside that front shroud and trying to unbolt the fan , the bushing , the water pump and only having access from the side. It. Is in my mind impossible and I’ve worked some tight spots . Why make it harder if I can get it out of my way . Removing the radiator from the front would make it somewhat easier but I would have my head sticking through the whole front shroud trying to work on it . Thank you tinkerer .

Delmer

"Whoa ! I thought you meant I could undo the piston cylinders at the bottom and remove the Bolts to the shroud and raise the whole assembly up making sure the shroud clears the fan , of coarse this would be done with a come along attached to the top part of the protective cage that protects you from falling debris . I thought I understood this now he’s confusing me"

That's what Tinkerer is saying, and I agree, you can do this. I would not do it that way. I was trying to answer how the cylinders come off to replace/get repaired, if you need that explained, just ask.

Does the radiator bottom attach to the shroud or something else on the frame, I don't like working under suspended heavy iron, especially with a come along. The radiator and my neck would not take that risk.

IF the radiator will come out, then that's the way I'd do it.

mcprp

"Whoa ! I thought you meant I could undo the piston cylinders at the bottom and remove the Bolts to the shroud and raise the whole assembly up making sure the shroud clears the fan , of coarse this would be done with a come along attached to the top part of the protective cage that protects you from falling debris . I thought I understood this now he’s confusing me"

That's what Tinkerer is saying, and I agree, you can do this. I would not do it that way. I was trying to answer how the cylinders come off to replace/get repaired, if you need that explained, just ask.

Does the radiator bottom attach to the shroud or something else on the frame, I don't like working under suspended heavy iron, especially with a come along. The radiator and my neck would not take that risk.

IF the radiator will come out, then that's the way I'd do it.
Ok , I will take your advice . Did you by any chance see the picture I posted of the lift cylinders ? They are on page 6 I think . Maybe by looking at that picture you can explain more by bolts and pins holding the cylinder in place because for the life of me I don’t see how it comes apart . Maybe I’ll see more the next time I look at it . I’m sorry this seems so hard to explain texting . If I can take the upper connection off on the lift cylinder the lower part is no problem and maybe I can just slide the front shroud forward enough to work on it

mcprp

Do I knock the pins out between the grease fittings with a hammer and punch ? The pins seem like there about. 3/4 of an inch around that go through the center of the Yoke ? But I didn’t see any bolts .

Delmer

Do I knock the pins out between the grease fittings with a hammer and punch ? The pins seem like there about. 3/4 of an inch around that go through the center of the Yoke ? But I didn’t see any bolts .

NO, think about it, that pin with the grease fitting on the trunnion DOES NOT go through the cylinder, they're are two of them, one on each side of the trunnion, you have to pull them out. (unless that trunnion splits in half somehow). They will not go through the yoke.

Yes, I saw your picture, the bolts are parallel with the cylinder and look like they clamp the trunnion down on the pins. The pins are perpendicular to the cylinder and look like one pin that goes through the cylinder, but I'm guessing they're actually two separate pins that pull out.