• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 450 . DIESEL

mcprp

Just want to say my water pump will be here Wednesday. You guys have been real patient and good to me . I’ll be changing the pump Thursday probably . After all the discussions and after sleeping on it , I’ll probably first try what arman said and just get in there and bust some knuckles up . If I struggle to much I will try to move the front nose forward to make more room . Once again sorry for my rediculous ignorance about these machines but this is my first . But I’m learning pretty good . It just takes 10,000 questions

Delmer

Getting the water pump out will be the easy part. Make sure you get all the old gasket scraped off, it sounds like you'll need a mirror to do that, or very sensitive fingers. I like to use a utility knife blade, you don't need to get all the visible remains of gasket sealer off, if you can feel it's smooth with the blade, that's good enough. Use gasket sealer to hold the gasket to the water pump, maybe make some studs to guide the water pump in place if it doesn't use studs or pins.

Welder Dave

Just don't use too much gasket sealer. I was told by shop too much can cause problems if it gets in the cooling system. Just a thin bead should suffice.

Vetech63

Just don't use too much gasket sealer. I was told by shop too much can cause problems if it gets in the cooling system. Just a thin bead should suffice.
Yeah, excess silicone can break loosed and end up stuck in water jackets and your radiator core tubes. Just because you have a whole tube of silicone doesn't mean you have to use all of it on one gasket.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I would advise against using any form of gasket sealer at all, just clean your surfaces and install gasket with new pump.

mcprp

Attachments

• C8FC9634-A6C5-42DE-83F1-15B17560DC35.jpeg
    C8FC9634-A6C5-42DE-83F1-15B17560DC35.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • 24814C2B-EB7E-480B-AD5E-F3CAA1E18ACF.jpeg
    24814C2B-EB7E-480B-AD5E-F3CAA1E18ACF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • D649F88D-1850-4732-A2CC-9EA6323F6D7E.jpeg
    D649F88D-1850-4732-A2CC-9EA6323F6D7E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13

mcprp

Do you mean pull it forward enough to get the belt off ? And does it pull forward until it comes off the crank shaft spline . Description and words mean everything ?

Tinkerer

Your radiator appears to have seen a tough life ! The tube walls must be getting awfully thin.
Yes, pull it forward until you get a gap big enough to get the belts through it.
The pump does not engage the crankshaft. The pump shaft is inserted into the coupler. That is why I posted the drawing.
Take a close look at how much wear is on the shaft splines while you have it where you can see it.
I have seen some that were on the verge of failure due to wear.

Last edited:

mcprp

Your radiator appears to have seen a tough life ! The tube walls must be getting awfully thin.
Yes, pull it forward until you get a gap big enough to get the belts through it.
The pump does not engage the crankshaft. The pump shaft is inserted into the coupler. That is why I posted the drawing.
Take a close look at how much wear is on the shaft splines while you have it where you can see it.
I have seen some that were on the verge of failure due to wear.
Ok , yeah I brought the radiator home to see how much they want to put another core in it . They quoted 800 to a thousand on the phone which seems ridiculous to me but they said bring it in so they can look at it . If not anything else it gives me room to clean everything .

mcprp

Ok , yeah I brought the radiator home to see how much they want to put another core in it . They quoted 800 to a thousand on the phone which seems ridiculous to me but they said bring it in so they can look at it . If not anything else it gives me room to clean everything .
I wish I could actually see the bolts I’m supposed to take out to pull the pump forward . I looked sit pretty close and I stopped because I couldn’t figure it out . Maybe I’ll see better tomorrow . You said there’s two , right ?