• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Walker's work doing's

walkerv

Theres gonna be a 2006 peterbilt 355 mechanics truck c7 cat eaton tranny ,at rb auction next friday in atlanta georgia. Truck is in pretty decent shape owner decided to sell it . No pictures yet it is leaving in the morning to go to there yard. If anyone is in the market. I spent the afternoon cleaning out the compartments its amazing what we collect in a truck.

walkerv

Theres gonna be a 2006 peterbilt 355 mechanics truck c7 cat eaton tranny ,at rb auction next friday in atlanta georgia. Truck is in pretty decent shape owner decided to sell it . No pictures yet it is leaving in the morning to go to there yard. If anyone is in the market. I spent the afternoon cleaning out the compartments its amazing what we collect in a truck.
Well thats odd they drove the truck there saturday now the listing that didnt have pictures is gone, i was hoping to post the link when it had pictures. I will check again tommorrow nite

walkerv

Project mack the jigsaw puzzle is closer then it has been in years to being put back on the road but i would not release it due to a little problem of low oil pressure when oil was warm not hot yet , pressure was at minimum mack spec with a mechanical guage hooked up. Dropped the pan inspected and measured oil pump ,that was good . Plastiguage a couple mains those were good . At this point i began scratching my head becuase engine was running silky smooth and quiet but when i plastiguage 2 rod bearings it never even began to flatten it, ordered a set of 10 over rod bearings and checked then clearance was perfect. Ordered a new set of standard mains also as they are showing wear after 5 hours and had crap go thru them pluss it gives me some peice of mind that they are all installed correctly and in the correct spots. Took a picture of the rod bearings they have roughly 5 hrs or less of run time at the shop mostly airing up the truck to fix leaks .20190404_105554.jpg 20190404_105521.jpg

walkerv

Better to pause/err to caution than to end up rebuilding the rebuild.
I almost have, dont see any liner leaks and i havent had to take the cam out or cylinder heads off ,at this point im going to say yet. Here is the mains i have changed out so far glad i did ,20190404_145608.jpg this thing got put together dirty and the rods dumping the oil i feel was letting the mains get a bit close to the crank i dont like how they are looking for less then 5hrs no load.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was thinking that very aspect!! Lots of guys wear them until can see daylight, I cannot go that long!! Enjoy Dry and Protected!!

walkerv

Yeah im way over due , lose my ambition on the weekend to go to the redwing store these are 3 years old ,heavy but best i have ever had

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Cannot do Redwings, toe box not near wide enough, also hard as hell to find 14 narrow with a wide toe box.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

crane operator

You must be left handed, I usually tear out the right toe first. I like the red wings, not many boot makers still make narrow widths.

And as pricey as they are, I like to get every last mile out of them, I've never made 3 years though with a set. I can usually only get 6-9 months. Usually have the front edge of the soles worn out, or a hole over a steel toe. Never had stitching problems.

The red wings do have their own aroma, if you step on a hot piece of slag or bolt that was just torched off, and get the soles burning/ melting.

20190404_191154.jpg

Wes J

^Those are the exact model I wear^. They don't have them on the shelf anymore, I have to order them. I have over 3 years on mine and the toe is torn out and one of the hook eyelets has broken off. I got 5 years on a pair once, but can't get that anymore.

walkerv

You must be left handed, I usually tear out the right toe first. I like the red wings, not many boot makers still make narrow widths.

And as pricey as they are, I like to get every last mile out of them, I've never made 3 years though with a set. I can usually only get 6-9 months. Usually have the front edge of the soles worn out, or a hole over a steel toe. Never had stitching problems.

The red wings do have their own aroma, if you step on a hot piece of slag or bolt that was just torched off, and get the soles burning/ melting.

View attachment 194866
Im right handed both toes are worn thru to steel , i was doing real good with them till i started working primarily on trucks again , i move around so much doing brakes i usually just slap on my knee pads and kneel doing them this wearing the leather off the toes , when i go get a new pair they will have protectors on them before i leave . Stiching was just staring to rip when i changed jobs a year ago climbing all over trucks finished them off .

walkerv

Ok i take something back about project mack, i thought it was silky smooth and quiet running before , now that it has the correct rod bearings in it i can hear the combustion take place and i swear i can just about hear the fuel injection cycle also. Just lit it off topped off oil now its warming up in shop we shall see if oil pressure stays up now

walkerv

20190408_142553.jpg This is beginning to frustrate me 10psi is min at idle hot oil, i only have coolant temp up to 150 so far