• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transmission for 1986 S1954 IH

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Almost no preformed lines except wheel to frame anymore, couple of specialty houses are making older machine replacement parts pickups and car but you would have to form and flare your own on this. Went thru that with my 85 GMC, replaced ALL the frame tubes as rotted away right at cab to bed line and around front crossmember.

Next Machine should there be one here will NOT have Juice Brakes as far as ton and half or bigger. No longer like playing that game.
Honestly I'm ready to put this one through the scrapper just salvage the seats, transmission, engine and wheels.
With only a camper a car in tow and few tools on board the brakes being brand new in front and the truck in lowest gear possible had hard time going down Hwy 95 into Lewiston ID from Washington state over that ridge. Rather not pull anything with this rig more than what I just listed in the mountains, need air brakes badly.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
S Series IH 1900 or Bigger, Air Brakes, air split trans ability to add air driven accessories, ability to park it and KNOW it will stay, very basic air system and easily maintained after add a decent drier. Business Class Freightliner is good as well $$$ Wise.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
S Series IH 1900 or Bigger, Air Brakes, air split trans ability to add air driven accessories, ability to park it and KNOW it will stay, very basic air system and easily maintained after add a decent drier. Business Class Freightliner is good as well $$$ Wise.
Actually that's what this rig is a S1954. I typed in something and I think I found the mother load, wonder if they will let me loose to pull parts I need...Pull hydraulic brake system off a 4000 series while there and retro fit it onto here, I think it can be done.
(Yells across the yard, HUN WE GOING ON ROAD TRIP PACK THE CAMPER!!!!)o_O..
https://candhtruck.com/trucks/used-...k-parts/38/international?p=1&sort=year-oldest

petepilot

r
Seems the next line up of trucks after the S series International went to ABS which is why the part is so obsolete. When you live 35 miles from society down a rock road, not easy thing to just drive to nearest automotive store and grab parts.
red power mag also has a forum much like this one lots of ih truck talk on the forum maybe get on and let them know what you`re looking for

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Actually that's what this rig is a S1954. I typed in something and I think I found the mother load, wonder if they will let me loose to pull parts I need...Pull hydraulic brake system off a 4000 series while there and retro fit it onto here, I think it can be done.
(Yells across the yard, HUN WE GOING ON ROAD TRIP PACK THE CAMPER!!!!)o_O..
https://candhtruck.com/trucks/used-...k-parts/38/international?p=1&sort=year-oldest

Don't let Miller see all those R-190's... He'll go nuts. :p

crane operator

Just get one of the aftermarket proportioning valves like dmiller posted the links to - summit, jegs, whatever. If it doesn't have the same size fittings as you need for yours, you're going to have to make adaptors, either with lines or fittings.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Just get one of the aftermarket proportioning valves like dmiller posted the links to - summit, jegs, whatever. If it doesn't have the same size fittings as you need for yours, you're going to have to make adaptors, either with lines or fittings.
If I can't find one at the last place I posted then I will do just that.
Even that is hard due to needs to be disc/disc and 4 ports with warning light switch installed plus adjustable for this rig. I'm still looking...

crane operator

I never get any parts for my older equipment from the dealer, they don't have anything. You just have to find something that will do what you need to do, and plumb it to fit. The dealer is usually a waste of time and $ for anything over 10years old.

crane operator

That one has two lines coming in, 1 front, 1 rear, splitting to 2 front and 1 rear. Just cap the extra front one, yours evidently splits further down the line.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I never get any parts for my older equipment from the dealer, they don't have anything. You just have to find something that will do what you need to do, and plumb it to fit. The dealer is usually a waste of time and $ for anything over 10years old.
As much as I agree with that one there has been a point of unless you were dealership you weren't getting these parts. Couple brake rotors from Gunite who the only manufacturer of the Budd hubs I have was only distributing them to International dealership, that was a fight back in April.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
That one has two lines coming in, 1 front, 1 rear, splitting to 2 front and 1 rear. Just cap the extra front one, yours evidently splits further down the line.
Actually I will need all 4 ports, it's splits on the brake proportioning valve, two lines coming from master cylinder to two going in and two coming out. That Wilwood one looks great. Starting to look like a maze with brake lines running everywhere adding in a line lock.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Hey Spud, something to think on, Old day cab single axle tractors(Air Brakes) are generally a dime a dozen ESPECIALLY the older units. I would be on a search mission for one of those as a Buildable after you get this one functional enough to get rid of.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Hiya CO, that switch is the brake warning switch indicator in dash for juice failure or loss. Grounding switch the floating spool connects on failures. MAN I dislike HD Juice Brakes.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Hey Spud, something to think on, Old day cab single axle tractors(Air Brakes) are generally a dime a dozen ESPECIALLY the older units. I would be on a search mission for one of those as a Buildable after you get this one functional enough to get rid of.
Plan on it then I have to take my CDL over again too to add air brake endorsement, but first need to finish it in first place by taking driving test with this rig. Got till end of November to do so.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Plan on it then I have to take my CDL over again too to add air brake endorsement, but first need to finish it in first place by taking driving test with this rig. Got till end of November to do so.

Was it mentioned to possibly rent a rig to test in? You can get full class A with all the endorsements and no restrictions and never have to go back again.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Was it mentioned to possibly rent a rig to test in? You can get full class A with all the endorsements and no restrictions and never have to go back again.
I would love to but there is no rental rigs around here. Tried already unless someone knows someone near Miles City MT, heck I will even drive to Billings to rent the rig, they don't even have none there either. They only rent to companies on the one I did find.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
SHOULD be Somebody you work on machines for that has Something can beg borrow or steal for test day. Even a close neighbor with a Dump Truck? or a Log Boom?

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
SHOULD be Somebody you work on machines for that has Something can beg borrow or steal for test day. Even a close neighbor with a Dump Truck? or a Log Boom?
I have no clients, friends or neighbors I know here, just moved here permanently from Washington state in April, no neighbors for 2 or 3 miles and they barely have a vehicle to get to town with much less a semi. No logging trucks as no trees to log here, and it's mostly ranchers on people you find which they don't own semi's and if they did they aren't coming down this road.
I live where there is twenty-five miles of rock road before you hit pavement which would eat most semi tires, then another 10 miles before the city of Miles City. Google Moon Creek Rd. in Miles City, MT. I live on a road off that road on a dead end road, so desolate the power lines or internet lines don't go here, I could give you my address and it wouldn't come up on maps either, it's that desolate. Got 600 acre parcels BLM tied to other 600 acre parcels butted up against my 22.5 acres and if that doesn't seem desolate enough, there wasn't one firework heard on 4th July out here. Cell phone service is 20 something miles away and I'm typing this over a satellite powered up by solar system while listening to birds chirp and locusts make clacking noise. Just want the CDL to use my semi for more than hauling a camper when traveling such as building supplies for whatever I want to build.