• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transmission for 1986 S1954 IH

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
All grounds are clean still same results of horrible light output, leaf springs are torqued again and now I'm going to open another bag of feral cats to let out.
Going to weld a tank for back of my rig to take up the whole section behind the rear axle to hold diesel. Figure dimensions of 42 inches long 90 inches wide 22 inches tall at approximately 360 gallons it will hold plus the two 45/50 gallon already mounted on the rig equaling about 450 gallons. Am I over on how much I can have without hazmat license? Already know I need to weld baffles in it, will bend most of the sides as possible and make the lid with a lip that fits over the other 4 sides to weld on top to have least amount of welded surfaces. Will be using 3/16 steel for the project 1/4 for the flange around fill point and test with air, soap and water for leakage.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I personally think it’s time to put this rig out of it’s misery, seems after 6 months of not moving in rainforest minus warm temperatures the rear axle is gone. Wife doesn’t want me to for all the work I put into it, money, time and memories for what it has done for us. Seems on turns the rear axle pops, after the 4th mountain pass it made a clunk in the axle when I down shifted, and spun up some when I up shifted. Three hundred twenty-eight miles till home can she do it... Went to refill and actually had second thoughts of spending the money, might have to drive the car back and get the other semi to tow it back in two trips.
Started the popping on the way out the driveway, thought it was the car not towing right. Will pop the motor off in the morning and see if I can manually shift it into higher gear in the morning after lifting it up and spinning the tires a bit to seat it in case something is stopping the sun gear.