• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transmission for 1986 S1954 IH

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Perfect example of hitting "fuq it" happened today, while installing line lock, was hand screwing pre made brake line in to brake proportioning valve I went to take my hands off it to take measurement instead it fell to ground. The brass proportioning valve just cracked where the brake line fitting went in and it appears long in the works of giving away.
For every dark moment there is light and that is if that gave way while driving it would of been a bad day. Supposed to take my CDL driving test next Monday coming up well not now. Can't find the part in town nor online so I need to call International tomorrow and try to find this part. If you look at pictures on the piece broken you can see the green from corrosion as it was cracked long time ago just waiting for right moment to give.

Attachments

• KIMG0608.JPG
    KIMG0608.JPG
    453.3 KB · Views: 23
  • KIMG0609.JPG
    KIMG0609.JPG
    421.6 KB · Views: 23

petepilot

Perfect example of hitting "fuq it" happened today, while installing line lock, was hand screwing pre made brake line in to brake proportioning valve I went to take my hands off it to take measurement instead it fell to ground. The brass proportioning valve just cracked where the brake line fitting went in and it appears long in the works of giving away.
For every dark moment there is light and that is if that gave way while driving it would of been a bad day. Supposed to take my CDL driving test next Monday coming up well not now. Can't find the part in town nor online so I need to call International tomorrow and try to find this part. If you look at pictures on the piece broken you can see the green from corrosion as it was cracked long time ago just waiting for right moment to give.
any truck scrap yards near you?

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
any truck scrap yards near you?
Yep they only cater to class 8 trucks anyone else aren't worth their time.
Look up Miles City MT and then take and draw a line of 35 miles then make a circle and that's where I live somewhere there hehe, Billings only cater to Class 8's as they have personally told me

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Old ditty on IHC

Too Fast for the Field, too Slow for the Road, GO International. If it won't Run Paint it Red, If Still won't Chrome It, GO International!!

Always think of the Red MV404s/446s with the Chrome valve covers when say or hear this. And then there came the DV550!!

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Called up International and they no longer make the part nor have any part replacement numbers... So what I do, just bypass it till I find one in scrap yard¿

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Called up International and they no longer make the part nor have any part replacement numbers... So what I do, just bypass it till I find one in scrap yard¿

What is the purpose of that contraption? Not completely clear to me. Is it just the normal balanced shuttle piston with the detent to turn on the warning light if you lose front or rear? Or is there more to it than that? Seems like there should be an aftermarket replacement available or substitute something. Maybe from a more modern IH or FL with a similar braking system.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
What is the purpose of that contraption? Not completely clear to me. Is it just the normal balanced shuttle piston with the detent to turn on the warning light if you lose front or rear? Or is there more to it than that? Seems like there should be an aftermarket replacement available or substitute something. Maybe from a more modern IH or FL with a similar braking system.
If you lose pressure in one of the two lines it will shut that one down to be able to still have brakes to stop the rig till fixed. Looked up the 4300’s and on and no replacement there either, looking up universal ones and it’s a dead end as I type.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Found the end of the road, if you have this part go bad you are SOL unless you either A find one in scrap yard B try and put a universal one on or C bypass it and hang on.
International part number 591315-C91 is no longer distributed by International and hasn't for some time and the other number on the brake proportioning block is Dana Weatherhead DIV number of 131-80366 was only made for International, so after International stop asking for them they stopped making them as they told me, there is no replacement part numbers.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have you ran a google search on the old p/n?
Just type it in nothing else ans see what pops up?
Found a NOS final seal for my Allis that had been discontinued 1988 and no one showed one
Google search and had it

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Have you ran a google search on the old p/n?
Just type it in nothing else ans see what pops up?
Found a NOS final seal for my Allis that had been discontinued 1988 and no one showed one
Google search and had it
Yep tried just numbers, with and without hyphens or dashes all three on the block, it's how I found out Eaton made it and the division of Eaton that made it.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
There has to be some more current part with the same function in existence but maybe the mounting and/or tapped fluid holes are different, the trouble would be finding it, and making it fit, but anything is possible with enough money and time.

Start with Summit Racing, I have found several things on there.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
With all the juice brake systems out there has to be a common mechanism. Look to Ford or anyone else, if have to change the lines and tube nuts.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Looks like what I went through on Summit racing. Noticed all these have different inlet outlet sizes as mine is one size. Would go to Napa to find something they looked at me funny when I asked about braided brake lines and preformed ones, Oreilly's are clueless. Looked for the 4300 ones and they are not available either. Seems the international pickup trucks used them at one time as they replaced the 373648C 91 with the 591315 C91. Still digging...

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Seems the next line up of trucks after the S series International went to ABS which is why the part is so obsolete. When you live 35 miles from society down a rock road, not easy thing to just drive to nearest automotive store and grab parts.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Almost no preformed lines except wheel to frame anymore, couple of specialty houses are making older machine replacement parts pickups and car but you would have to form and flare your own on this. Went thru that with my 85 GMC, replaced ALL the frame tubes as rotted away right at cab to bed line and around front crossmember.

Next Machine should there be one here will NOT have Juice Brakes as far as ton and half or bigger. No longer like playing that game.