• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transmission for 1986 S1954 IH

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I don't think I've ever seen an S-1954 spec'd that lightly. Most were at least a 10.5K steer I've seen. However back in those days most truck manufactures would still build what was needed or desired. Is this truck a single axle tractor, or short wheelbase?

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I don't think I've ever seen an S-1954 spec'd that lightly. Most were at least a 10.5K steer I've seen. However back in those days most truck manufactures would still build what was needed or desired. Is this truck a single axle tractor, or short wheelbase?
Nope 236 inch wheelbase with single axle, there is pictures through out this post I believe on what it looks like. This is it with it loaded as I use it...93530BA3-74F5-4607-A00B-E07BF0FA3269.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Wonder if wasn't a old Rental Fleet runaway. Penske or Ryder? They spec'd a lot of weird stuff.

1693TA

Occupation
I've been going back through the postings. You have an odd one for sure I feel with the way it was initially set up but I never really ever worked on beverage haulers other than fiberglass hoods and such. Never any frame or driveline work I remember.

1693TA

Occupation
Seen a lot of S1600 series set up with "U-Haul" with air ride rear suspension to dump allowing a lower deck loading height. They were lightly spec'd but pretty specific to their orders. These were juice brakes and some automatic, some manual transmissions.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My old Beverage GMC is similar, Gas engine 7000 with a AT540 trans. Not a Speedster with a Low ratio single speed diff either. And was a Lohr drop center Beer Dist. Truck at one point in its life.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Wonder if wasn't a old Rental Fleet runaway. Penske or Ryder? They spec'd a lot of weird stuff.
This one was spec’d for Olympic Peninsula Beverage Distribution company that was bought out, I got it for $750 instead of $1000 of asking price. Guess I need to post pictures from the beginning of when I got it...

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Here we go....
First picture of it as I bought it, second one is after I gutted interior out and started welding a pedestal for the camper, third is finished product of the pedestal, fourth is when I start cutting top half of beverage truck off.KIMG0041.JPG IMG_20181223_121448.jpg KIMG0262.JPG IMG_20190113_173903.jpg

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
This is the hitch plate I had custom bent and I welded hitch and safety chain hooks on then drilled 12 holes to bolt to the frame, I slid it inside the frame of semi and drilled another 12 holes, mind you this is 3/4 plate of steel.
Second one is where the camper starts going on in middle of snow storm "brilliant" idea... and as progress goes on of putting doors on it after I pulled the roll up ones off.
IMG_20190110_180942.jpg KIMG0398(1).JPG IMG_20190315_094426.jpg

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Doors welded on and the adventure begins... Done everything in this thread in less than a year plus rebuilt the camper from white to color you now see in the picture.KIMG0425.JPG

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Possumbelly Beer Wagon.
Actually the part you can see in where the doors are put on at one side is mine (drivers side) and the other side is my significant others stuff (passenger side), the gray area you see painted is about 4' x 8' which divided in half is batteries and solar system controllers and such one side and water/sewage other side. Here is my side without it fully loaded...
KIMG0413.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Biggest issue with these modified frames is high centering, no way NOT to. You got a decent deal as I did with mine, the bigger difference is you kept the drop frame where the previous owner of mine re-railed cab back. I would use it for awhile, leave it as is where is for now, start aligning to find a old Single axle Air brake city tractor day cab something else. That will give a foundation for bigger, better, badder, and more effective.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Biggest issue with these modified frames is high centering, no way NOT to. You got a decent deal as I did with mine, the bigger difference is you kept the drop frame where the previous owner of mine re-railed cab back. I would use it for awhile, leave it as is where is for now, start aligning to find a old Single axle Air brake city tractor day cab something else. That will give a foundation for bigger, better, badder, and more effective.
Actually haven't had the opportunity to high center it yet, though is in back of my mind when I drive it off road on undeveloped roads, Give me excuse to custom build a bumper to hold my winch. Honestly you want to know what my next truck I want to be, something along lines of M813 with Garwood winch on the front, awe bring back sweet memories plowing through a few houses chasing someone that took pop shot at us with RPG's or maxing out at 55 mph with pedal on floor trying to get out sticky situations.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Says to grind down my shift fork on my 2 speed rear axle on any parts that touch A or B, well it touches A and has 3/32 gap on axle face when I rest the card on A. Why would all of sudden need to do this on 34 year old truck, or should I just ignore and slap the new splitter motor on? At same time could be reason the previous one failed?
KIMG0868.JPG

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
New shifter motor assemblies are 'Different', forks were modified for the new style as the old style forks were different than new style.
Okay then I need to shave the fork, OFF WITH THE HEAD!!!
The motor assemble I pulled off sure looked like the new one, guess that's why it's moving around is they just slapped it in and didn't check causing it to bind up and break it lose over time.

Seems to be reoccurring theme on this truck to find where previous owners mechanic didn't check tolerances or maintain something or didn't look up specs to put it in right specs.

Labparamour

I got the same notice and template with my motor.
I didn’t see too much interference so only hit the end of the shaft/opening with a file to clean it up a little bit.
Rig doesn’t see too many miles but has been shifting okay...

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I got the same notice and template with my motor.
I didn’t see too much interference so only hit the end of the shaft/opening with a file to clean it up a little bit.
Rig doesn’t see too many miles but has been shifting okay...
Took grinder to mine and now all is installed. When I got the rig it only said around 290k miles which is low for a 1986 rig and from appearance of the brakes it was the originals from the factory. So I maybe have another 2 to 7 hundred thousand miles left to go at which point frame will rot out first or I get bored and get a bigger stronger rig.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Alright, replaced the whole fucking motor assembly and still not splitting gears. Though that’s part of reason here, where do I find a reseal kit for the oil cooler, it’s a DT466? Parked the rig at Home Depot and coolant came out the part where it connects to front of engine where it goes in.

On another note this trip is being hell for me, blown transmission on my car one day, oil cooler started leaking next day along with one wheel seals that is leaking on my brakes and in middle of snow storm some fuq face in semi passed and busted window on my camper from a rock he slung up from the rock/dirt they laid down. Though I passed him later pulled over getting a speeding ticket, I didn’t know the window was busted at the time, but he is only one that passed me so it’s how I know.