1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transmission for 1986 S1954 IH

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by Spud_Monkey, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Tim Burke

Tim Burke Active Member

I’m cringing reading this. I also have an 86 S1954 and need to replace those rubber output lines.

DMiller and Spud_Monkey like this.
  2. Spud_Monkey

Spud_Monkey Senior Member

Retired Veteran Mechanic/Welder
    Just close your eyes and hope while taking them off the block and hope it doesn't give. I think water got in there froze and caused it to crack from inside out. The previous owner mechanics didn't seem to do much upkeep on the truck and or know much when fixing anything. When they snapped the first transmission they drove it till it was toasted and when the rear axle splitter stop splitting they just pulled the plug on it and set it to side and drove on. Few of the things I have fixed of their lack thereof whatever they didn't do or attempted to do.

DMiller likes this.
  3. Tim Burke

Tim Burke Active Member

This is largely my son’s project, but it’s in my custody. It’s primarily a farm truck and has been hacked on a lot by POs. The splitter was hot wired in high when I got it. Had to replace the motor. I was planning on cutting those nuts with a dermal before trying to remove them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    DMiller likes this.
  4. Spud_Monkey

Those aren't too bad just soak them with PB blaster or of the likes for next 24 hours, hold on to the nut with 7/16th size with pair of vise grips and use a 5/8 wrench for other side and it will come off.The block itself will take a 5/8 wrench to hold onto. Had to replace the motor in mine too just left the rest attached and cleaned up the terminals.

DMiller and Tim Burke like this.
  5. Spud_Monkey

The place I called for the part I posted on here is a dud, called 2 days ago for the part and they said soon as they get to it they will call me, the never did. I had to call them and they were reluctant to check for the part, I bet if I asked for a engine they would be all over it like stink on sh!t. I gave them the part number, the lot number of the truck I seen it on in the pictures and they still refused to, so if they are on here this is for you wasting my time ,,!,,.
    Decided to go with DMillers, Birken Vogt and crane operators plan to put aftermarket on, I ordered the one from crane operators posted link and will take it into town Wednesday to get the adapters. Thanks to everyone that could help, helped!

DMiller likes this.
  6. Spud_Monkey

A half of a days worth of work, but line lock brake and proportioning brake valve is installed and works pretty good...
    KIMG0626.JPG KIMG0627.JPG KIMG0625.JPG

DMiller likes this.
  7. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Fabricobbling is a wonderful line of work, I may have a equal now!!

8. Spud_Monkey

That's a first of I ever heard a word of such "Fabricobbling" guess it means to do something like this.... KIMG0628.JPG KIMG0629.JPG KIMG0630.JPG KIMG0631.JPG

Nige and DMiller like this.
  9. Spud_Monkey

With a little bit of this...
    Tired of driving around using RPM for speedometer plus I need it for my CDL test, poor testing instructor going to jump in my truck and be awe struck with wtf look that will stick throughout the test.
    Maybe I should mount some hidden cameras.
    KIMG0633.JPG KIMG0634.JPG

DMiller likes this.