1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

Discussion in 'Other Construction/Demolition Equipment' started by od1, Sep 13, 2009.

1. excavator

excavator Senior Member

If I remember right, the older machines did not have a case drain line back to the tank. So if the motor has any amount of wear on it the oil getting by the pistons will build pressure and blow out the seal instead of draining back to tank. Shouldn't be to difficult to install the line, the biggest thing is whether or not the center post is drilled and tapped. I believe they are Parker motors and last I checked, about 2-3 years ago they were still available from a hydraulics store.

2. RSIGuy

RSIGuy Well-Known Member

Restoration Contractor
    EX, Thanks for the feedback. Mine does not have the case drain and OFF suggested that awhile back but didn't find anyone around here that's capable of installing it as I will require drilling, tapping and a fittings installed on mine. I may have to expand my search. The drive motors on ours are made by Hydraulics Inc. ( Sturtevant, WI.) and from my research was purchased or swallowed up by Poclain Hydraulics. Efforts to contact them with a need for two motors to match (if they even make one that will bolt on) mine have not been successful. If you have any contact info or leads would be appreciated!

3. BDub1370

BDub1370 New Member

Thanks for the reply. The solid, forklift type tires don't work very well on the soft ground. They seem to sink very easily. As heavy as these are, I would like to find some wider tires for it.

4. RSIGuy

RSIGuy Well-Known Member

Restoration Contractor
    [​IMG]

Take a look at these, they are not original. I can get sizes if you need them.

5. Scottjones

Scottjones New Member

Does anybody know if there is a chain replacement or inspection timeframe for a 40f?

6. RSIGuy

RSIGuy Well-Known Member

Restoration Contractor
    Typically, if you use it commercially it should be inspected annually. I'm not sure on the chain replacement as ours is still in ggod shape. OFF or Willie?

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

My last post was April of 2014. Been working on it ever since. Finally got it completely rebuilt. 3.5 years. I'm kinda slow. Sure wouldn't make a living at it.

mauriciof likes this.
  8. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

100_0829.JPG 100_0830.JPG 100_0831.JPG New basket, all new paint, 1 new tire, all new hoses, all new wiring, new engine.

tickman and mauriciof like this.
  9. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

dump 043.jpg dump 044.jpg dump 047.jpg before pics (2014)

tickman and mauriciof like this.
  10. sjcoan

sjcoan New Member

I'm a proud new owner of a JLG 40F, everything appears to work but more than a few hands have been in the wiring. I'm wondering if somebody would be so kind as to send me the manuals? It appears to be all racine valves.

11. sjcoan

sjcoan New Member

Btw Jonesy that is a beautiful old machine! Maybe someday I'll have the time to clean mine up as good as that one.

12. sjcoan

sjcoan New Member

And from reading this entire thread it appears I need three posts before somebody can pm me, so this should do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

13. Mark Fox

Mark Fox New Member

Just purchased a JLG 40F, hoping for any manual I can find. Any emails would be appreciated. Thanks!

14. Mark Fox

Mark Fox New Member

In searches for the original 40-50, would you have to add any additional info? Thought I had a 40F, but am not sure now with this info. Thanks again!

15. Mark Fox

Mark Fox New Member

I found a plate on the bucket that shows it as a Condor Lift - is that a kind of knock off from the original JLG machines? I cannot find searches that combine the two. Any help appreciated - thanks!

16. Edypaul

Edypaul Member

Hello All
    !st time poster. Hats off to all the knowledge base on this forum!!
    Not trying to hijack this thread but I have a question about a 40f that I acquired.( I have a bertea proportional valve bank. )
    I have no pressure to the bertea valve bank. (swing lift drive). I also can not find a dump valve in the circuit? I know the pump is working. Is the dump valve in the bertea valve bank? If so where are the wires going to it. I have three sol. and three sets of wires. Im perplexed. Any help would be appretieated

Thx Ed

17. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
  18. Edypaul

Edypaul Member

Sorry about the double post. Im not very forum savvy:rolleyes: . My mistake

19. mike terrigno

mike terrigno Member

When I'm up in the platform working the machine runs fine then all the sudden shuts off will not restart from platform the motor just turns over I can't seem to find out if it's the solenoid or some safety switch that needs to be replaced from the ground everything works will start right up if I wait a half-hour sometimes I can get in the platform and it'll start right back up

20. od1

od1 Well-Known Member

Marketing heayy equipment
    Hey Mike, Is your choke connected to a solenoid? If so do you have a choke function on the platform control?