• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

D 40G

I tried every solenoid with no lift,or swing movement. There are 8 total. One for auxiliary pump, one for fuel on solenoid, one for starter, one for horn, one for high speed motor. I have a Duetz 2 cyl diesel so one is glow plugs. The two left must be the dump valve solenoids. The 2 close to the Racine valves are one for starter and other one for?. One of the back 4 must be a dump valve and one near the Racine valves must be the other dump valve. Think the dump valve for the lift, swing and drive is bad? Wiring is spliced everywhere on this machine. I have replaced 2 plastic connectors with amphenol quality ones. It was a rental machine before I got it but the best I could find for $8500 20 years back. It was bought with 5200 hours and now has 7560. It is a personal machine not used often now. Manual doesnt identify dump valve location. i really need to wash 34 years of dirt and grease off everything but afraid water might damage the Racine valves or something. I tried taking pictures but the relays are hard to see through all the wiring and hoses. i used to do machine tool wiring and this thing looks wired by a 5 year old. Plus no wiring schematics or part ID schematic. Has 4 relays on a circuit board and 3 transistors and about 20 diodes. Not sure of what they do either. Thanks much for your advice and help. Your instructions are excellent.

D 40G

Is the dump valve on Racine proportional valves on a JLG 40G electrically controlled? Seems like it has to be if a solenoid similar to a Ford starter relay controls it. Could mine be clogged or stuck to not work? All the manual says is Racine proportional valves have a built in dump valve. No wiring diagram or parts layout diagram to refer to. Going out to take a picture of the proportional valve assembly to see if I can identify where the dump valve is.

D 40G

This picture according to a 60H manual is my dump valve. Is the pin sticking out the end supposed to be loose? Can I put 12v to the coil wire to try to activate it? Going to try to trace down which solenoid activates it. Wiring is a spliced mess on my 34 year old machine. Do they stick very often? I tried a jumper on every solenoid but none activate it. Next I guess is put a voltmeter on the terminal and jumper the suspected control solenoid to see if any voltage gets to it.

D 40G

There is 12v to this with key on. The pin in the end moves easily in and out with the power off or on. Never noticed the pin before.in the end to know if it moves. It seems like I have the right parts breakdown for it IF the 60-70H is the same. How do I test it? Cant hear it make any noise because the fuel ON solenoid is so loud. If I am supposed to be able to hear it click I need to disconnect the fuel solenoid and then the key is on the other side. Are rebuild kits available?

D 40G

Brilliant me, the battery + terminal is 15 inches away. No click or noise when power is applied. It seems like it should click and maybe the end pin move too.

D 40G

It looks like the coil is replaceable. I have a part number even if a 60H is the same. It is a JLG number and probably not available.

D 40G

I fixed it. The Deutz diesel is a great engine. Most fuel efficient diesel I have ever owned. Vibration caused the coil ground wire to break the crimp connector off. Crimped a new one on and it is a swingin. and a liftin and hopefully a drivin, havent checked yet. Thanks much OFF for pointing me in the right direction and after finding what it loolks like in the 60-70H manual, I was able to troubleshoot it from there. Coil had resistance so I figured it was good. Grabbed the ground wire and it wasnt connected. The coil is still available from a dealer I found for $55.94 +.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
D 40G, sorry for not being there for you, I wasn't near a computer all day. Glad you found & solved your problem. Good job. Bad grounds are very common on valves, and a real show-stopper.
For Future Reference:
The Racine dump valve looks like a Racine solenoid valve (Bang-Bang valve) that is used on basket swivel, basket tilt, steer, telescope, only with one coil rather than two coils.

A good way to find a dump valve is to start at the main hydraulic pump, and follow the hoses. The first thing you come to will be the dump valve. Typically a pump will be 3 sections, and each section will be tied to a dump valve. One section for the proportional valve bank, one section for solenoid valve bank or banks, and one section for high drive.

D 40G

You still were the only one who by making the comment that "if your swing lift and drive isnt working check the dump valve", that led me to find the problem. I googled over and over in different ways till it found your 2013 post comment. The old machine hasnt had high speed drive for about 15 years. I dont have high speed motor function either. I did buy a clone chinese solenoid for high speed motor last year, but it only lasted a short time. I might try to troubleshoot the high speed hydraulic circuit to see if it is something simple. It doesnt seem like the mechanical parts of hydraulic devices has changed much in 50 or more years. I needed to learn more about how each part works. Before the internet it was go to a library that had a manual and hope it could help you troubleshoot your proiblem. You are close to my age so you know well what we went through fixing things in those days. I would not have found a JLG lift manual. I have the factory manuals but it isnt well written and lacks troubleshooting electrically. The H model manual is better written and had the dump valve breakdown. Someone like ypu could have found the problem in 15 minutes. I was getting worried I had a problem that parts werent available to fix. Thanks again for taking your time to help teach people like me with your many years of troubleshooting experience. Without your knowledge, most likely my machine would have been dead for a long time.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Glad I could help D 40G. The JLG company didn't spend a lot of effort on the "G" series. They were sort of a filler between the "F" series which they built for 10+ years and the "H" series which was in production for 10+ years also. The "G" was only in production about 2 or 3 years. The company I was working for in about 1982 had a pair of 40G's. Only ones I've ever seen in person.
There was no factory support in those days. You either figured it out, or you didn't fix it. Now Genie tells us that if you haven't found the problem in 2 minutes, you're wasting time and you should be on the phone to the factory tech guys. "the times, they are a changin"

ramnit

Hi all , another newbie.
Just bought a 40f ?? or a 40-45 serial number 724285 not sure of year,a lot of info here is still soaking in. Machine all functions work other than swing of turret hoses jump but nothing happens .Took pump and brake off opened up brake and full of goobers and jumungee bad.need to find oring kit and clutch brake kit . It is and Ausco brake
looking to get any and all manuals , has cutler hammer controls. not sure of valve bodies don't look like racine more round with one wire.
Wisconsin engine hrs about 2400
no id badges
any help will be great thanks

ramnit

new to jlg

only reason I think it is a 40-45 only has one let down knob on front plate of turret. has a let down valve on back of boom ram

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
new to jlg

only reason I think it is a 40-45 only has one let down knob on front plate of turret. has a let down valve on back of boom ram

Welcome. Sounds like an old one you've got there. The majority of "F series" I've seen had 3 manual valves on the front of the turret. Some did have Culter Hammer controllers so that's very possible.
When you pulled the swing motor out, did it turn at all when you activated the function?

ramnit

no it did not turn at all
the brake was full of juumunjee (crap) all cleaned up now just have to find the clutches ,plates and springs and o-rings

gts1953

Hello, first time post, I have been reading this forum for about 3 yrs since I have owned my JLG 40f I now have a problem with the lift, travel, swing group of valves and was wondering if I could get some wiring, hydraulic schematics? Thanks for all who have posted all the information on this site!

gts1953

I forgot to mention on previous post that my lift has Bertea proportional valves, but the dump valve for the proportional valves says Racine on the end of the valve, Is this common? Thanks

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I forgot to mention on previous post that my lift has Bertea proportional valves, but the dump valve for the proportional valves says Racine on the end of the valve, Is this common? Thanks
Anything is possible. I have yet to see two of those 40F's that were built exactly the same using all the same components. PM sent on the manuals. I also have some good Bertea drawings I can pass along to you.

gts1953

Received the manuals and the extra drawings for
Bearta valves, still haven't found my problem yet but i'm working on it. If I run a jumper wire from the battery to the Racine dump valve and manually turn the knob on the end of the lift valve I can get it to work, so I think I have a wiring problem. Thank you for the manuals they contain a lot of information!