• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some Line Boring Pics

dirty4fun

I hear you I enjoy what everyone shares, Ray seems to have some very interesting jobs. I am betting he will deliver some good ones when he has time.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
A few months back we were approached by a long time client. I have done all their line boring for 25 years and now that I'm scaling back on onsite work I do workshop machining for them.
They have a contract to bore a horizontal bore,4 foot diameter underground through solid limestone about 150 yards long.
The plan is to initially bore a 16 inch bore with a steel liner as they can do that accurately with a laser guided machine. Then a follow up 4 foot cutter would follow using the 16 inch liner as a guide. As the 4 foot cutter travels it would be at the same time pushing the 16 inch liner out the far end of the bore. Our job was to design and make a plug that spigot-ed into the end of the 16 inch liner to do the pushing. As it would be connected to the rotating cutter the connecting shaft had to rotate within the non rotating plug.
We drew up full scale on a sheet of cardboard a case with a pushing flange on it,with a shaft located within the case by a ball bearing both ends and a thrust bearing on the end of the shaft to take the linear thrust.
I'll put up some of the pics of the initial manufacture and then if anyone is interested some pics of some mods we did to it after the client found that their job had changed somewhat because of tougher boringCase small.jpgmachine case.jpg

Last edited:

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
The top bearing bore being machined (180mm) and the weld prep

Attachments

• top bearing bore.jpg
    top bearing bore.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,253
  • weld prep.jpg
    weld prep.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,258

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
The drive plate and cutter being matched up. Used my Magbase to drill these as the 4 foot cutter is to big to fit under my drill:)
Also the shaft with the drive plate on and the bearings fitted. You can see there is a lot of other machining in it like bearing spacers,circlip grooves and bearing bosses.
The cap above the bearing and below the drive plate is machined to take 2 lip seals to keep dirt out and as well I machined a course thread on the shaft at the entry point that carries dirt away from the seals as it rotates.

Attachments

• drive plate.jpg
    drive plate.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,262
  • Caps and bearing.jpg
    Caps and bearing.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,260
  • assembly.jpg
    assembly.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,252
Last edited:

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
All buttoned together.
It was fitted into a section of liner before delivery to make sure of no embarrassment later on. Not shown is a ring that will be welded inside the liner that the end of this thing pushes against. That way the load is shared between the plate and the flange.
After this it was filled with grease and given a lick of Cat yellow and delivered. Its not done a turn yet and its been back in the shop for some mods.

Attachments

• assembled.jpg
    assembled.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,257
  • Fitting.jpg
    Fitting.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,255
Last edited:

OldandWorn

Nice looking job Ray. :drinkup

The size of things sure can be deceiving without any reference points. Looking at your first pic without reading, I was guessing about 8" diameter on the pipe.

Last edited:

dirty4fun

Ray, it was worth waiting for the pictures and need designed piece. Thanks for sharing hope it all works for your customer. Pushing that much steel would make for a lot of friction. Maybe they have planned on pulling it from the far end to assist the boring machine. Be sure to share with how it goes and love to see any mods you have to do, also.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
The thrust bearing we used is rated for 35 ton. They say they will need a maximum of 20 ton to push the liner. The boring machine is capable of 400. They are comfortable with our design. Hopefully soon we will see it in action. I believe the 16 inch bore is almost finished.

Alex2

Great job, Ray!
Sometime you take part in very interesting projects, and I quite understand people who invite exactly you to participate.
You have big experience as the result of many years of hard work.
During these years there were successes and may be some failures.
Roy, can you share with us an example of a failure that helped you to make a rule for yourself - the rule you follow until now. That would be very interesting and useful for those who make first steps in line boring.
Thank you in advance.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
I can't point to one particular failure but like everyone I have had my share. The rule on failures I use is the first priority is to get it fixed. Worry about victims later. If the job is wrong ,admit it and fix it for free unless there is some issue that had been pointed out to the client before hand.
Anyone noticed how quick you can fix a mistake?;) I've cut bores oversize because I was slack or I've set the mike 1/2 a turn out and the time it took to get the welder in,lay in a run and cool and machine it can be amazing:D Especially if its 1 AM and the job has to be on the truck as soon as the shop opens in 5 hours.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Anyone noticed how quick you can fix a mistake?;)

A little off topic on line boring but one mistake I made years ago. Assembled a 16V-71 Detroit and as we were getting ready to start it on the shop floor before installing after filling with oil started filling test run water tank. Something sounded strange. Pulled dipstick and was way over full. Pulled valve covers and found water flowing down oil drain back hole at the corner of one head. Seems someone forgot to reinstall the pipe plug in the top of the block before installing the head!:eek: Drained water/oil from pan, removed head, installed plug, re-installed head, checked rack settings and valve settings, filled with oil and water and started. All in a little over about one hour. Boss stopped by shortly after we had started the engine. Later on we did tell him what had happened, no problems he was glad job was done and engine was sounding fine. I'd blame Norm for leaving the plug out but was just as likely it was me.:rolleyes:

overworked

Yes Ray I agree, I don't brag about my mistakes, but I never hide them, if I learn something the hard way I hope my boys and others learn it from that one mistake also.

wrenchweld

Occupation
Heavy duty diesel mechanic
My God verry precise work.I'm a heavy duty mechanic in nothren Alberta Canada I do not get to see machining work verry often. My machining work is done with a file and flap wheels to get bearings to fit after a failure. Any tricks for removing semi fused bearing material off a shaft. I've had good results with a light peening of the shaft at the problem area. I do most of my work out in the bush 200 miles from town. I don't have the luxury of line boring tools but do use hight tensile wire to check for bends. I have also used flat glass and blueing paste to check smaller pins it works ok. Awesome to see some attention to detail and pride in a job well done.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
I'll put up a few pics of some extra work we had to do to the rotater. The client starts boring and finds the limestone a lot harder than expected. Instead of doing the whole bore on one set of teeth they want to withdraw the cutter regularly to inspect and replace teeth. This brings a new problem when they push the cutter back up the bore,how do they get it to find the 16 inch liner? So they ask us to make up a male cone with a flange that bolts to the end of our rotater. Then they want as well a female cone to go in the end of the 16inch liner so that when they push the cutter up the cones acts to align the rotater and in it goes.
So we get in some hollow bar for the male cone 10 diameter and spin up a cone out of that. The female cones we had to make out of solid that come 16 inches diameter. All up we had 750 Kg of steel sitting on the pallet.

Attachments

• male cone2.jpg
    male cone2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,595
  • male cone.jpg
    male cone.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,607
  • Bar stock.jpg
    Bar stock.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,610