• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some Line Boring Pics

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
If it works out here's a few pics of a Hitachi EX1900 Boom I bored a while back. It came in from the mine broken almost through. One pic to show the bore welding is from an RH120 I did.

Attachments

• DSC03363small.jpg
    DSC03363small.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 11,425
  • DSCEX1900weld.jpg
    DSCEX1900weld.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 15,037
  • DSC04193 (640x480).jpg
    DSC04193 (640x480).jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 11,271

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
A few more. The bores are around 10 inch dia by maybe 14 or 15 long.Faces 16 or 17 inches.I had two machines on it for about a week.
There's a pic of the boom and how it looks after it cam out of the stress relieving oven and another painted up ready to go back to work.

Attachments

• DSC04175 (640x480).jpg
    DSC04175 (640x480).jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 15,961
  • DSC04150 (640x480).jpg
    DSC04150 (640x480).jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 11,132
  • DSC04186small.jpg
    DSC04186small.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 11,053
Last edited:

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
One more of a welded bore. Our machine differs from some in that the machine drive the welder as well as the boring bar. To swap from welding to boring you loosen one screw,pull out the welding bar and slide in the boring bar,around 30 seconds.O+kboom3smaller.jpg

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Hey Steve,I don't have an accent:tong Its you blokes that talk funny:)
I got a nice bench job in my shop today. A set of D10 ripper brackets,those ones that bolt onto the back and take the tilt and lift cylinders.A company I bore for has a heap of 10's coming through for bare chassis rebuilds and everything gets done. Keeps me busy:D

dirty4fun

Looks like you found yourself a pretty neat nitch market. It looks like you have the know how to do a great job, and then do it. I for one would enjoy seeing more of your work, when you have time to share it with us. Someday I would like to see all the steps and how it is done in person. Always like to know more about mechanical things.

steve loving

Ray i have listened to myself talk for 50 years and never heard a problem once. I talked to you 1 second and thought rosetta stone lol. Great pics as always send d10 pics. The one build up pic of the terex your 33/1 welding mode is .030 preset starting point?. Per rev how many thousands were you spiraling on . Steve

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Ray i have listened to myself talk for 50 years and never heard a problem once. I talked to you 1 second and thought rosetta stone lol. Great pics as always send d10 pics. The one build up pic of the terex your 33/1 welding mode is .030 preset starting point?. Per rev how many thousands were you spiraling on . Steve
What do you mean by 30 thou preset Steve? Your talking funny again;) Depending on how far the bore is out I normally cut 2 mm out before I weld it.The machine has a 33/1 reduction for welding.I run 1.2 mm wire (.047) in at 4 metres a minute,around170 amps and 19.6 volts.I aim for no more than 2.5 to 3 mm to take out.In a bore that size I will be doing around 1 rev a minute.The feed through the bore is 3 mm a rev.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
nice work... very professional..... what brand and type of wire do you use for the build up?
I use a mild steel wire S6 grade.I look for a wire that's not tightly wound and has no wax on it left over from rolling.The wax coats the tips and stops a good contact. At present I'm using Weldwell PZ6000 wire. A New Zealand company but the wire is rolled in Italy.

Richardjw~

any chance of a pic of the line boring machine itself?

On that photo where you have welded the bore, do you machine it smooth to take a pin or is it the finished article?

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Seems a bit quite here in shop talk so I thought I could put on some pics from a little unusual line boring job I do. I do these all sizes conveyer head pulleys for a company who has had trouble in the past with getting the bores machined perfectly in line.Misalignment has been causing the taper locks to stress the shaft and causing them to fail. I've been doing them regularly for 3 or so years without a problem so far.
To get the alignment within a thou or two I use a tensioned piano wire to align my bearings.The wire is insulated from earth and carries a small electrical current.A pair of earphones are connected and when the wire is shorted you get a crackle in the phones.The difference between a crackle and no crackle is less than half a thou. The wire is good for alignments of within a thou over 25 feet.DSC04113small.jpgDSC04115small.jpg

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
You can see I put spiders inside the bores and adjust them roughly centre to the bore.I then hang on the external bearings/headmounts.I position them to centre using the wire and then centre the spiders perfectly to the now correctly positioned wire. It's not as complicated as it sounds. It takes around 2 hours to get the job to a stage where its ready to machine prep the bores for welding.

Attachments

• DSC04116small.jpg
    DSC04116small.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 10,538
  • DSC04118small.jpg
    DSC04118small.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 10,471
  • DSC04119small.jpg
    DSC04119small.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 10,442

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
After the welding its just a matter of machining the bores to size and cutting the face square. The inside bore gets machined clearance on the shaft (4 to 6 thou) and the main bore has a tolerance of a few thou. I generally cut it down at the bottom of the tolerance to make the taper lock nice and snug.DSC04123small.jpg

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
any chance of a pic of the line boring machine itself?

On that photo where you have welded the bore, do you machine it smooth to take a pin or is it the finished article?
Richard,the machine is the green thing on the end.Yes,the weld is machined to a few thou clearance on the pin or in the case of a bearing in the bore its machined to a smaller size than the bearing,usually about a thou per inch of bearing diameter.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
It is a tension gauge.The wire is pulled up to 40 Kilograms to minimize any sag although it does drop 3 thou over that distance. The bores are usually only worn up to 10 thou but hardly ever up against the face.So if the pulley runs out 5 or so thou in operation its not a problem:)
The wire is a good tool. I've used it to do the crankshaft tunnels on a couple of 36 series cat engines where you have an alignment tolerance of .0015 between bores and .003 over 7 bores on a 12 cylinder block.