• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some Line Boring Pics

jjimbo

Occupation
Field mechanic/ owner operator
Ray you do some very interesting jobs. I have some questions on the wire line gage how do you get the starting center point? Do you get bar chatter with the larger bores? If not what are you doing to control the chatter. It appears that you are running a 2in. bar, atleast that is what Hofmann site states. How good is the facing tool you have there? I have one that I am not happy with what so ever. I can face quicker by feeding tool bit out and do not feel this should be the case. Thanks for any input. Jim

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Ray you do some very interesting jobs. I have some questions on the wire line gage how do you get the starting center point? Do you get bar chatter with the larger bores? If not what are you doing to control the chatter. It appears that you are running a 2in. bar, atleast that is what Hofmann site states. How good is the facing tool you have there? I have one that I am not happy with what so ever. I can face quicker by feeding tool bit out and do not feel this should be the case. Thanks for any input. Jim
Jim,the wire fits into the support bearings.You just adjust the bearings to the datum you are using as you would if you using a bar to do your alignment.Go back a bit and there is a pic of an inside mike and the wire.
Chatter is usually a product of what you are mounted to,what you are cutting with,how rigid is the bar and how well it is supported. The Hofmann bars are made out of pretty good stuff and we have no trouble with removing metal using heavy cuts and plenty of feed. If you are hooked up on a light bucket that tends to flex you can add a bearing or stiffen the set up with a temporary brace tacked on.
Our 180 facing head I limit to taking 40 or 50 thou off at a time. I usually use it on faces 6 inches up to 14.A welded face usually comes of in 3 or 4 cuts.On small faces I often plunge face like yourself if its on something that don't matter if its perfectly flat. Make up a carbide tool and you can really peel some metal off but its limited to smaller faces.
With the 270 mm facing head you can work it hard.On faces from around 10 inch up to 36 you are able to take serious cuts and also bump the feed rate up to 40 thou a rev if you want a course finish.Have a look here at an old page of mine.The only pic that won't enlarge is the big head cutting an 850mm face. :eek: Sorry about not being able to see it properly but you get the idea. http://plb.iinet.net.au/jobs.htm

dabsfabs

Ray, or any line bores. Can I ask what may seem a silly question?

When you jack or press fit bushes what tolerance do you leave, i know the work i do is small fry compared to the work you and others do. As rule when as was training I was always told to leave a thou per inch. What i have found work best is or .1under or 4thou on anything or 4inch bore or .15 to .2 or 6>8 thou on any thing over 4 inch. Most of my work is around 50 to 100 mm. I was told by a well know engineering company in my area was if the bush is 120.15mm o/d you would bore to 120 mm. Is this correct method of going about it.

And for pin clearance i usally leave 4thou or what the clinet requires.

Am i to tigth or to slack on tolerances.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Ray, or any line bores. Can I ask what may seem a silly question?

When you jack or press fit bushes what tolerance do you leave, i know the work i do is small fry compared to the work you and others do. As rule when as was training I was always told to leave a thou per inch. What i have found work best is or .1under or 4thou on anything or 4inch bore or .15 to .2 or 6>8 thou on any thing over 4 inch. Most of my work is around 50 to 100 mm. I was told by a well know engineering company in my area was if the bush is 120.15mm o/d you would bore to 120 mm. Is this correct method of going about it.

And for pin clearance i usally leave 4thou or what the clinet requires.

Am i to tigth or to slack on tolerances.
A thou per inch crush is a good rule of thumb but your boring a hole to 120 for a 120.15 bearing is spot on. Pretty well all bearings have the required crush built into the bearing O.D dimension.For Hitachi that could well be 120.2mm (good fun to install:) )or in the case of a Liebherr digger it would typically be 210.07. Put your thou per inch on that and you likely won't get the pin in.
The bore tolerance for metric bearings is generally size plus up to .083mm ( H8 )for bigger bearings and often Imperial bearings have the tolerance minus. Example. The bore size of a 4.254 bearing out of a Cat 631 cushion hitch is 4.248 + or - .002. So according to Caterpillar you can cut the hole anywhere between 4.246 and 4.250.
With pins a thou per inch clearance is OK with 4 inch pins. To make a better job you can give the outside bore in a bucket the 4 thou and make the inside smaller as once the pin is in the first bore and lined up it will go through the second with a lot less clearance.

ttweld05

Occupation
self employed welder/ heavy equipment repair man
Good afternoon Ray,

Great pics of the locomotive!!! I have a couple quick questions for you... what type of flux core wire you use for bore welding? Size of wire and welding parameters? (voltage and wfs).... And what ever happened to www.lineboring.org ??? its gone

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Hofmanns sell the wire. I run it at 3.5 metres a minute at 17 volts. I'll PM you with more details.
Lineboring.org fizzled out. I think the owner lost the inclination and the battle against spam.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Some might remember these dozers. The first D10 which became the D11. On this one we modified the bore sizes in the cannon bearing and seal bores to take the bearings and seals out of the later D11N. They were a more robust design.DSC00709small.jpgDSC00707small.jpg

ih100

This work fascinates me. On something like this D10 bore, how do you centre and square the rig? Do you ever get caught out on the metallurgy when welding something out of the ordinary? And how do you increment your cutter as you progress? On a lathe it's easy, but to me on those boring bars it looks like you have to unclamp the cutter and slide it further out. I know I'm asking a lot of trade secrets but this isn't something I'm ever likely to stray into at my age.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
On Cat track frames I have a jig that centres the bar back at the keyway bores.Up the front its easy to clock up the bar to an unworn machined surface
I used to get caught out occasionally but not so much these days.Make a mistake and its easy to remember next time.;)
Yes,we unclamp the cutter and adjust it using a dial gauge on jobs like that. Mostly I can rest a finger,bridging the tool and the tool holder. Your skin is very sensitive and its easy with a little practice to feel a thou as you tap it out.Its a lot quicker to do that when chasing a final size than set a dial gauge up every time.

rare ss

Yes,as you can see from the signage on the dozer it was a few years back.Thats my employee in the pic. I would likely have been in stubbies:)

yeh, no doubt.. been awhile since they went bust eh? my old boss was involved with the mod's on their remote controled under water Leibher digger

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
I did a job a little out of the ordinary today on a rocket powered car that is being built by Roscoe McGlassan and team to break the 1000 mph land speed record. http://www.aussieinvader.com/the-challenge/
Simple enough job. Just machining a couple of holes through the main tube that will be inspection ports. I have in the past done some machining on the parachute tubes.Its interesting to get involved in a small way on a project like this.DSC_0025s.jpgDSC_0024s.jpgDSC_0022s.jpg

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Thanks, I am having a bit to do with a Liebherr 996 stick this week. I'll put up some pics soon. Also machining bosses and caps for an new EX1900 bucket and today line boring a 16M grader circle.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
A few here of a Liebherr 996 backhoe stick. Bores at 310mm X a foot and around half long. I think there is a truckload in the levers and pins:DDSC_0041small.jpgDSC_0096small.jpgDSC_0094(1)small.jpg

dabsfabs

Makes what I do seem inadequate, is the bigger stuff easier to bore. Once bored do you checks the pins for fitment.