• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some Line Boring Pics

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
The female cones filled a couple of drums with swarf;)

Attachments

• female cone2.jpg
    female cone2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,610
  • female cone.jpg
    female cone.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,611
  • female cone1.jpg
    female cone1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,628

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
I drilled and tapped a PCD on the end of the rotater and welded a flange drilled to suit on the cone and bolted it up.

Attachments

• assembled2.jpg
    assembled2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,649
  • fit up 1.jpg
    fit up 1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,633

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
We're just getting cranked up with our line boring rig and I need to get some better photos of it in action. For now these will have to do. It's a hydraulically-driven Climax B5500 with an automatic wire-fed bore welder attachment.

Line Borer 1.jpgLine Borer 2.jpg

truckdoctor

Occupation
mechanic
The "A" frame picture is a familiar site. The last one I did wasn't that accessible. I would like to convert our Climax bar to hydraulic. I've had a lot of trouble with the Milwakee two speeds. I had a wonderful experience line boring yesterday. I was set up to bore the equalizer bar pin bores for a D5H track frame when I found something unexpected. A previous machinist oversized the bores and installed sleeves. Well when I finished bore welding the bores I noticed cracks forming 1/4 inch outside the bores. A little air arcing later It revealed the sleeves. That added some time on a hurry-up-we-have-to-ship-this-right-now job. It's finished now.

Last edited:

profrooky

Occupation
Professor
Hi Ray: Awesome thread and pics! I used to work with a line bore fellow once in a while and was always impressed by the before and after state of components that needed his attention. The process itself was very intriguing as well.

I'm trying to finish a textbook on Heavy Equipment and would like to know if you had any pics of broken pins that failed as a result of lack of grease. I had a 992 top boom pin fail once and use the scenario in my book to emphasize the importance of proper lubrication. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of it at the time.

Thanks, Scott

Nige

Prof - How many pics do you want..? PM me your e-mail address.

Truckdoctor - Our Climax machine has 39843 & 39846 hydraulic motors. We're using 2-1/4" diameter bars, we have them in various lengths from 6ft to 16ft long.
The 39846 gives 36RPM @ 6 GPM and 60RPM @ 10GPM but with loads of torque for roughing.
The 39843 gives 90RPM @ 6 GPM and 150RPM @ 10GPM with much less torque for finishing.
Each motor is priced at around $600 if you already have the Climax RDU.

truckdoctor

Occupation
mechanic
I don't think the boss will let me buy those. He is still stuck on events in the past with the old B&D boring bars they had. They were hydraulic and he seemed to believe that they did not have enough power to do large bores. I know this is not true with the Climax. I keep burning up the two speed electric motors on ours. I approached him about converting our bar to hydraulic after the second electric motor but he said no. I've thought of replacing the Milwakee two speed motor with a MECO 4speed drill motor off of a concrete core drill. I doubt he will go for that either. Thanks for the info on those hydraulic motors, I will keep those in mind.

Nige

I was lucky. We had a new project and I was looking for an investment for the future. I looked at what was out there and then consulted both RayF & TomV who are regular contributors on here regarding what to go for to get the best bang for the buck, including options because I was probably only going to get one bite at the cherry. We came to the conclusion very early on that for the type of bores we generally come across a hydraulic drive would be the best way to go.

Our system with the bore welder and everything else thrown in ended up costing us $80,000 but when local contractors whose boring equipment is positively Stone Age compared to this rig were charging us $15,000 or more for doing a set of 4 bucket bores we estimated the payback period was only about 18 months.

Last edited:

truckdoctor

Occupation
mechanic
That's true. We are on the west end of the action so I end up performing a lot of small jobs. Rarely do we have a large enough job to pay for new tooling. I did get a new feeder, driver, and control box a couple of years ago so that we would have two complete boring setups available. Most of the small contractors around here are running ancient or really small setups so it keeps me in decent projects. This week we had a 590 Tiger rubber tire dozer come in for repairs with weld/bore work on the blade and articulation hitch. As I was leaving, a D10 came in and I was told there will be bore work on it as well. Time to wear out some tooling.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
That's true. We are on the west end of the action so I end up performing a lot of small jobs. Rarely do we have a large enough job to pay for new tooling. I did get a new feeder, driver, and control box a couple of years ago so that we would have two complete boring setups available. Most of the small contractors around here are running ancient or really small setups so it keeps me in decent projects. This week we had a 590 Tiger rubber tire dozer come in for repairs with weld/bore work on the blade and articulation hitch. As I was leaving, a D10 came in and I was told there will be bore work on it as well. Time to wear out some tooling.

Thats all top class cream work Truckdoctor! Almost tempts me to go and do some more site work. :cool2

Chadman1967

Occupation
Line bore Technician / Field Welding Services
Hey Ray, just ran across this site and can see you do alot of awesome work. What's the job industry for line boring field work down there? I work in the Gold Mines here in Nevada and would like a change of action. Look forward to chatting with ya. Thanks Ray

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
Mate,at the moment Line Boring here is dead in the water. That will change as mines are digging so the gear has to wear out sometime.;) Send me a PM if you want to chat:)

Chadman1967

Occupation
Line bore Technician / Field Welding Services
Line boring

Mate,at the moment Line Boring here is dead in the water. That will change as mines are digging so the gear has to wear out sometime.;) Send me a PM if you want to chat:)

Ray, thanks for the reply. I also was interested in the alignment tool you are using. Can you use that with Climax bearings? How much is it to purchase? I do alot of boing here I'M just tired of going underground to do the work. I just meet an Australian here in Elko from the company Wear Force have you heard of them? Thanks an talk to ya soon.