• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Uncledeeds72

Occupation
Retired welder fabricator
Yes, the "safety levers" are raised to force the controls to their neutral positions. If you have trouble locating the drive neutral position it is probably excessive wear in the various pins and yokes in the linkage.
Thank you very much,the safety lever was frozen ,an i wasnt sure what that lever was at the time i was there. Im going to go back there as soon as my radiator hoses come in,an i will take that apart an free it up.hopefully once that lever works,i will have the neutral position that way, im looking at the manual,its kinda confuseing(to me) but there looks to be adjustment there???
I definitely need to fix this,for many reasons,but i definitely dont want to be putting extra force on the tranny going back an fourth all the time correct? Also dam,i want the machine to oviously warm up a while an i dont want to just be sitting on this thing for 15 mins holding clutch in!!! Lol....i could be greasing it at warmup not sitting on my ass...or could be drinking a cold beer haha.

Welder Dave

Read the manual and learn what all the controls are for before guessing or not knowing. I'm surprised it would even start when not in neutral.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Read the manual and learn what all the controls are for before guessing or not knowing. I'm surprised it would even start when not in neutral.
I was surprised when one about the same age as this one was started buy a mate , the owner , nearly cleaned me up . There is a button that stops the D155 I have from starting in gear , I removed it for a good reason . They can be a hassle .

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Safety lever??? Omg that must be the small lever on opposite side i believe just below!!! It is frozen an i wasnt sure what that was, along with a small black rubberized button .i will have to free up that lever an see,but im guessing it may not make a difference,when u ingauge that lever,does it just lock the shift handle in place from moving left or right or does it actually lift or lower the shift linkage itself to a lock position if you know what i mean? Hard to explain,if it actually lifts or lowers a rod or shaft inside the tranny,that may work but if it just keeps the linkage cables from going left an right,im not sure that will do the trick.
The safty leaver should be just in front of your shift leaver , the one on the other side more likely the hand brake and the rubber button will be the horn . The leavers can just screw out but the bit it sits in still should be there .

Uncledeeds72

Occupation
The safty leaver should be just in front of your shift leaver , the one on the other side more likely the hand brake and the rubber button will be the horn . The leavers can just screw out but the bit it sits in still should be there .
Darn,i cant remember now,i will have to just check once i get my hoses in an head there,really its the only concern i have with the whole machine,so i cant complain, but as i said,i definitely need to get it done. I will try to send pics today so everyone can see it,i was having trouble figureing out how to put pics up.im bad at this stuff.thank you very much,its really appreciated people take time to help.me an answer my questions.im sure i will have more being a newbie of a komatsu D41s3

JimInOz

Btw,any ideaon the no neutral thing?
I get forward fine,reverse fine,but no matter how easy i do it,it wont go into neutral in the middle?

I repaired the shifter linkages on my D31S several months ago....same issue as you,no Neutral.
A little wear on each part results in incorrect speed selection.I bought some small bushings & a few new pins,& that tightened it up a lot. It works well now.
I was going to fit all new parts,but some of the levers & fittings were hundreds of dollars & 2 weeks wait. A little backyard enginering did the trick...
Shifter just extracted as it was (15).JPG Shifter Lower area during dismantle (3).JPG Trans Control Linkages.png Gear Shifter Repairs 2020 (8).JPG

BTW,the black button is the horn.

Uncledeeds72

Occupation
I repaired the shifter linkages on my D31S several months ago....same issue as you,no Neutral.
A little wear on each part results in incorrect speed selection.I bought some small bushings & a few new pins,& that tightened it up a lot. It works well now.
I was going to fit all new parts,but some of the levers & fittings were hundreds of dollars & 2 weeks wait. A little backyard enginering did the trick...
View attachment 235806 View attachment 235807 View attachment 235808 View attachment 235809

BTW,the black button is the horn.
Thank you so much,im going to have to take the assembly apart i guess,i was hoping there be a simple adjustment,but couldn't find anything in the manuals unfortunately..yea i have drive an reverse an all lower gears like butter,but no sweet spot between forward an reverse no matter how little i move it.that stinks..looks like i will be welding in wear spots an or making bushings.thank you again very much.

Uncledeeds72

Occupation
Thank you so much,im going to have to take the assembly apart i guess,i was hoping there be a simple adjustment,but couldn't find anything in the manuals unfortunately..yea i have drive an reverse an all lower gears like butter,but no sweet spot between forward an reverse no matter how little i move it.that stinks..looks like i will be welding in wear spots an or making bushings.thank you again very much.

Attachments

• 20210311_164246.jpg
    20210311_164246.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20210306-175236_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-175236_Gallery.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20210306-175246_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-175246_Gallery.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 29

Uncledeeds72

Occupation
I do have another question,when i was looking at the linkages,i noticed that it looks like a yoke coming off the rear of the transmission!?? If im correct,where can i find the correct shaft to attach to that,an be able to fabricate possibly some implements for this machine..is there a backhoe that can be put on back of this kamatso? I would love to run a log splitter off of it amongsy other stuff..even just 2 hoses coming off the back with quick release couplings,but the shaft is what make me curious because i see nothing about a rear yoke or shaft in my manuals. Is anyone familiar with this??

Welder Dave

Shaft for a winch maybe? Have never seen a Komatsu loader with a backhoe. For a simple log splitter, you could put quick connects on the bucket cylinder hoses and use the valve on the machine. Maybe a diverter valve could be fitted if it was high enough flow for the machine.

Rien

Hello D20,21 dozer owners,
For my 1979 Komatsu D20 track loader I need some parts.
Is one of you parting out a D20 S track loader.
Am looking for some cilinder head parts.
Please let me know if you have or inform me where to get.
Thanks and regards,
Rien

fireman9731

New member here, and I finally finished reading the whole thread. What a great resource!
I recently purchased a D21p-5. Its in pretty good shape for its age. Working hour meter shows 608. I'm sure its not original but the machine seems to be very lightly used. Undercarriage shows very little wear, swamp pads with the grousers. Should be the perfect little machine to clean up my farm. It has the factory canopy. I'd like a proper roof and some sweeps and screens eventually.

Now on to the problems... Left steering clutch is stuck, I'm hoping with some use it frees up.

The real issue now is that its running hot. I flushed the the radiator, its clean inside and out. Fan is blowing good. Shrouds and seals are in place. I replaced the thermostat with no improvements. Hoses look good. My next step is to replace the water pump. It appears to have been replaced before. It seems like its moving some water but not enough. Is low flow through a water pump on these machines common? Is there anything else to check or consider before I replace it?

I appreciate any advice. I'm pretty new to heavy equipment. I have about 20 hours of seat time on my brother-in-law's D4, but plenty of time on my tractor and I can do basic mechanic work with basic tools. I also have the operators manual and parts/service book.
dozer.jpg

skyking1

Not the komastsu, but:
My sis was given an overheating rambler american.
Long story short, new water pump fixed it. Old pump had a plastic impeller that fell off the shaft.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Anybody have any advice for the overheating problem?
Make you have a proper antifreeze mix. Make sure that belt is tight .And the inside facing the fan is clean all the around the radiator not just the center .Fan should be blowing out towards the front. Make the internal cores are clean .

fireman9731

Make you have a proper antifreeze mix. Make sure that belt is tight .And the inside facing the fan is clean all the around the radiator not just the center .Fan should be blowing out towards the front. Make the internal cores are clean .

I'm running straight water right now, still flushing it out some. The belt is tight, It was a little loose before but its tight now with no improvement. Fan blows outward. Radiator is clean on the outside. Seems clean enough on the inside, when I drain it, the cores drain too, no visible crud. With the cap off when its hot, the pump seems to be moving a lot of water. I don't know what normal is but its sloshing around a lot.

Temp wise, my gauge is faded so I don't know exactly, but its past the green into the white. Sometimes at the very edge of the green into the hot zone. It stays up there. I've not had it boil over yet but its hot. Higher RPMs drop the temp down a little but once its under a load it gets hot again. Not to the point of pegging the gauge but I don't feel comfortable running it.

I need to get an infrared thermometer and see what everything is actually at. I hate to spend the time and money on a water pump without knowing if thats actually the problem or not.