• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Krackerjack9

Occupation
working in Iraq right now
Luckily I was able to figure out the wiring today without a diagram and now I’m back in action. I also found a worn spot in wire going to the temp sending unit, I’d say that is the culprit for the random temp gauge pegging. I’m also working on another flush. I plan to run it most of the day tomorrow working on clearing a new fence line through some tough brush. Thanks for everyone’s input. I’d be lost without all the knowledge here.
there is also a facebook page with these dozer as well

StevenG

Has anybody tried to convert a D21a-6 lever steer to joystick steering by swapping parts from and -7 model?

StevenG

Has anybody tried to convert a D21a-6 lever steer to joystick steering by swapping parts from and -7 model?
After looking over the parts diagrams for the 2 different models, I realized this was a fool's errand. I'll continue looking for a -7 machine.

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Its clean as a pin on the outside. The inside looks pretty good to me. There is a little rust on the filler neck but everything else is clean and if I drain it, the cores empty as fast as the rest of it. The coolant that was in it was pretty crudy. It took several flushes to get clear water out of it.View attachment 243779
should be plastic shroud on the bottom infront of the radiator, to seal it off so the fan pulls the air and blows it thur the radiator, the way its set up there I would think the fan would suck the hot infront of the raidator and pull it back under and send it thur again so that might be part of your issue

StevenG

Anyone know the part number for the trunnion ball on a d21p-7? Maybe I'm missing something in the parts diagramstrunnion1.JPG trunnion.JPG

StevenG

The #10 is a grease fitting. It must only be available as the weld in bracket.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
The #10 is a grease fitting. It must only be available as the weld in bracket.
17.9 kg's of welded bracket . The bracket would need to be cut to allow the ball to be replaced , Komatsu may think that would weaken the bracket too much . Can you rebuild the ball ? I was asked if I had considered rebuilding 4 sway arm balls on one of my dozers by local K rep , I hadn't until he told me they were K$ 4000 each .

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
17.9 kg's of welded bracket . The bracket would need to be cut to allow the ball to be replaced , Komatsu may think that would weaken the bracket too much . Can you rebuild the ball ? I was asked if I had considered rebuilding 4 sway arm balls on one of my dozers by local K rep , I hadn't until he told me they were K$ 4000 each .
4000 was for the lot

StevenG

Guess I would have to cut the brackets off the blade and c-frame and replace both.

Attachments

• D21P blade pivot.jpg
    D21P blade pivot.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

Brianvanem

Hey all! First post after reading most of the pages in the thread. Proud owner of a new to me D20p6. PO had it listed on marketplace. Unfortunately he let it sit for 4 years and let a bunch (over a gallon I estimate) of water get into the engine. Negotiated a price there was no way I could walk away from and hauled it home. Drained all the old fluids and hit the cylinders with a lot of marvel mystery oil and slowly worked the crankshaft bolt back and forth over the course of a few day and got the motor freed up. Fresh fuel and she fired right up! Went through and had to repack all the cylinders, did two more oil/filter changes after running for a while between changes. Had intermittent starting issues where it would not crank and was basically dead at the switch and dash light wouldn't come on. Thanks to the forum advice, I had the alternator tested and it was toasted. The shop rebuilt it with new parts and she is now a turn the key and go machine. Hoping to get it on the trailer and out to our property to start work this weekend. Loving the open and informative information on this forum and hope to be a contributor to the wealth of knowledge.
dozer.jpg

g_man

Occupation
Retired
Good luck with your new to you machine Brian. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction from the start. And welcome to the Forum.

gg

Krackerjack9

Occupation
any one know how to put the cover back on top of the steering clutches, I cant figure it out all, has to be some sort of trick or procedure to get it on and everything conected to it underneath works right

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
I’m looking to pick up a d21 so here I am... 138 pages?! Guess I better start reading.
Until then, here’s what I’m looking at. ... first question: how to tension tracks? Grease fitting hiding in the dirt somewhere... would be nice if I knew where!

Attachments

• CC71DACC-F865-4C03-94C6-7F339F2EF01A.jpeg
    CC71DACC-F865-4C03-94C6-7F339F2EF01A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 92DEE773-4F44-4DC0-A02C-A74255A84F8F.jpeg
    92DEE773-4F44-4DC0-A02C-A74255A84F8F.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 16

Don Shilling

Occupation
Retired, multi occupation
I’m looking to pick up a d21 so here I am... 138 pages?! Guess I better start reading.
Until then, here’s what I’m looking at. ... first question: how to tension tracks? Grease fitting hiding in the dirt somewhere... would be nice if I knew where!
You will probably need to remove the covers over the tension spring, clean all the dirt away, and then you will find the grease fitting at the front. This fitting is normally concealed under the small cover at the front of the spring cover.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
You will probably need to remove the covers over the tension spring, clean all the dirt away, and then you will find the grease fitting at the front. This fitting is normally concealed under the small cover at the front of the spring cover.
Thanks!
Any chance to get these dozers “rolling”... was hoping to pull it onto a trailer but if the tracks are locked that will be tough.