• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

501bornnbred

New to the group and purchased a pair of d21p-6’s. Replacing all fluids etc. I popped thermostat off one looking for part numbers to no avail. Anyone have a link or part # offhand? Ive tried google but nothing that specifically says for D21z

501bornnbred

Was able to search through and find old post from RRRancher and got the above website, called the gentleman up and he sold me two thermostats and says he would appreciate any business for parts on these machines.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
New to the group and purchased a pair of d21p-6’s. Replacing all fluids etc. I popped thermostat off one looking for part numbers to no avail. Anyone have a link or part # offhand? Ive tried google but nothing that specifically says for D21z
There seems to be two motors to choose from , xxxx-cr and xxxx-8r along with several D21P-6 , r,c,ac and bc , difference in the dozers seems to be the blades . Going by the last link the thermostat is used in a lot of different applications .

501bornnbred

There seems to be two motors to choose from , xxxx-cr and xxxx-8r along with several D21P-6 , r,c,ac and bc , difference in the dozers seems to be the blades . Going by the last link the thermostat is used in a lot of different applications .

Awesome, thank you! Looking forward to getting some good use out of these. Do they typically run warm? Both of these I have were running on the hot side of the green mechanical gauge.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Awesome, thank you! Looking forward to getting some good use out of these. Do they typically run warm? Both of these I have were running on the hot side of the green mechanical gauge.
They will have an operating range , should be able to find that in a workshop manual . A hand held infrared thermometer's are cheap and will show any problems with your radiator . There should be a good difference between the temp at the top tank and bottom tank of the radiator . Funny thing with an infrared temp thermometer they need to be pointed at non reflective area's otherwise they give a lower reading by quite a bit .

pdubya76

Good morning. I’ve been a long time lurker but haven’t posted much at all.
I have a Komatsu D20a (sn#45119) that’s a mid to late 80’s model. In the last month or so , the steering and ability to back up had gone away with one exception. It does ok when the dozer is pointed up hill and the fluid is to the back of the machine . If it’s on an incline it steers good but not great. The clutch oil is fresh. It has IW32 in it. Everything I’ve read says that’s the equivalent to SAE 10wt. Also, I pulled the strainer and it had some junk on it but not terrible. I’m leaning towards the clutch pump (haven’t tested) , since that’s the piece of equipment the steering and drive clutch share . Anything that I’m missing? All fluids and filters are fresh within the last few months. I do notice that when I’m on flat ground I can press the clutch foot pedal and that side track will relax . I’ve adjusted brakes, linkages, etc.

Last edited:

SomeGuyFromOlym

Good morning. I’ve been a long time lurker but haven’t posted much at all.
I have a Komatsu D20a (sn#45119) that’s a mid to late 80’s model. In the last month or so , the steering and ability to back up had gone away with one exception. It does ok when the dozer is pointed up hill and the fluid is to the back of the machine . If it’s on an incline it steers good but not great. The clutch oil is fresh. It has IW32 in it. Everything I’ve read says that’s the equivalent to SAE 10wt. Also, I pulled the strainer and it had some junk on it but not terrible. I’m leaning towards the clutch pump (haven’t tested) , since that’s the piece of equipment the steering and drive clutch share . Anything that I’m missing? All fluids and filters are fresh within the last few months. I do notice that when I’m on flat ground I can press the clutch foot pedal and that side track will relax . I’ve adjusted brakes, linkages, etc.
your shift cables haven't gone slack have they
I know of mine that there is a so-called sweet spot where everything works better

check the fluid again, those are the easy fixes that I can think of

SomeGuyFromOlym

Komatsu D-21 P69151

anyone have a part number for the petcock for the radiator?
(or thread size)

doing some maintenance and broke the brass jobbey off of the bottom
I'd like to have a replacement before I pull the plug for good and it is DOA in my shop

thanks

Krackerjack9

Occupation
working in Iraq right now
This is a FYI there is a Facebook page for the Komatsu d20 and d21
lots of post and photos, but dosnt have pages like this site does so you cant just jump to a certain section like on here

Krackerjack9

Occupation
Not specifically. Where would be the best place to do that?
If your getting a loud squeal most likely its coming from your final drive, I pulled my left side drive off and the small bearing that is on the case side was gone totally nothing inside the drive there were very vew pieces of it left, the pinion had some chips out of the the drive teeth so i replaced it along with the bearing, i had no idea that it had failed till i heard that very loud squeal, currently replacing small bearing again due to that big nut that holds on to the flange some how came off and and i was loosing power to that track the splines were just skiping and not grabing under a load, i should have replaced both pinion and flange but its about $750 for both pieces so did a little grinder work fabed a cage to hold the nut so it should not come loose at all but that squeal is sure sign that parts of that bearing have broke and just get ground up in that bull gear and I guess when you go in reverse the pieces you can see grind on the inside bottom of the cases ,,

enginerd

Occupation
Civil Engineer, Highway Construction
I haven’t all the posts in this thread, so I don’t know if this has already been answered…

Can apex track shoes (triangular) on a d21p be swapped out for standard (narrow) units?

Thanks.

enginerd

Occupation
Civil Engineer, Highway Construction
That’s what I was thinking, but I haven’t had the time to dig into part numbers and such to see if the chains were compatible.

Krackerjack9

Occupation
in short had left side track loosing power then made some noise, so pulled in shop pulled off track final drive nothing , then pulled clutch drump the pinion gear big nut had came off letting the gear spin inside the flange ok splines stripped some but not that bad so put back together drove it same thing happend no real power to track it would stop if i was pushing material. so pull it in and take out clutch pack drum but notice big nut is still on flange with the nut keeper so if it was spinning again then that nut would have to spin as well but it cant if nut keeper is still holding it So what is causing my track to stop spining, yes i checked main shaft and sprocket if that was stripped but its fine so im at a lost on to what is causeing this???

ranger3725

This may have been addressed, but I added grease to my track adjusters on my D20A. I left slack in the tracks, however the tracks have gotten very tight, especially since the weather has gotten warmer. How would I go about releasing the tension? Is it as simple a removing the grease fittings like on my J.D 450?

400orBust

Hi All,
I have searched but have not found all I'm seeking. I have a new to me D21A-6 with 1400-ish hours. I want to perform a full service on it before working it. Info on filters/fluids is surprisingly difficult to come by.

Here is what I have compiled and plan to use so far (does this seem correct/OK?):
-Engine Oil Filter: Wix 51206
-Engine Oil: 15w-40 diesel oil (either Shell Rotella or Mobil Delvac)
-Fuel Filter: Wix 33393
-Hydraulic Filter: Fleetguard HF7935 or Baldwin BT8906 or Wix (Napa) A24A10E

What I can't seem to find good info on:
-Hydraulic Fluid...manual says to use engine oil but many places online say not to because the detergents ruin seals in a hydraulic system. What is the consensus on what to use? I'm leaning towards Duraguard synthetic blend TO4 SAE 10w-30 hydraulic fluid but it is expensive. What, specifically (brand/type), are you all using?
-Transmission/transfer/bevel gear/final drive Fluid...manual says SAE 30 for all. What, specifically (brand/type), are you all using?

Thanks.