• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

jhamill01

D21P-6 cold start problems

New to the group. Just purchased a D21P-6 yesterday. Injection pump was said to have just been gone over 10hrs ago. Problem is, will not start cold. Will smoke when cranking, but won’t fire. If you give it a small shot of starting fluid, it will fire, but then it has a raw fuel smoke to it for quite a while. Any help would be greatly appreciated
To add: using glow plugs make no difference except for more smoke while cranking

GradeMichigan

Question for y'all - I'm looking to pickup this D21A-5. Nice machine, runs well and everything appears to work with no real leaks. (See Pics) Does anyone have a Serial # lookup for the year? This Ser# is 63383. I believe it's Gray market judging by the ROPS and Ser#.

Also - I need a source/list for maintenance items, including Oil Type & Capacity, and a Filter list (for Oil Filter, Hyd Filters, Fuel, Air, Etc). Does anyone have a source or list for those items? And, the cutting edge is about worn down. I could use a source for cutting edge as well.

Finally, take a look at the track/pads. Seems like I'm seeing pics of these machines with 2 styles of the narrower 'A' pads... ones that have a more aggressive tread, and these (the style on this machine) which have shorter, but more, treads on the pads. Do these appear to have life left, or are they due for replacement? While you're looking, do you see anything else about the UC or Sprockets that looks alarming?

Thanks in advance!

Doz1a.JPGDoz2a.JPGDoz2.JPGDoz1.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
By appearance are old Loader shoes someone has added minimal grouser stock to. Single grouser are dozer, double and triple are loader, less turning resistance as shorter and more of them for bucket machines extends UC life.

GradeMichigan

Thanks for the response. I'm assuming with the shorter grouser, all I'm losing is traction...

One of my questions with these small machines, is can they handle working/grading on a 2-1 slope?

Welder Dave

Right sprocket appears to be worn a little more than the left sprocket. It looks like the rollers may be close to hitting the pin bosses. You should be able to do most jobs a larger machine can do but will take longer. I think a 2-1 slope is doable but get a feel for the machine first on less steep slopes.

I think there might have been an earlier thread with some info on filters and maintenance. Could check with the search feature.

Last edited:

GradeMichigan

Thanks. Are you referring to the lower rollers? I'm fairly new to dozers, though I've been around wheel machines and track skids for a long time... But is that an indication that the chains and pads are ready to go?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
He is referring to lowers, as rails (chain links) wear and roller faces wear they will contact pin boss heads. Dozers are not so bad as full bucket loaders turning and beating on rollers/rails/idlers.

Welder Dave

The flanges of the rollers can hit the pin bosses when the undercarriage wears. On a small machine like a D21 it's probably not as big of an issue as on a larger machine. If the bushings on the track pins that go in the sprockets are still decent you could build up the track links with weld.

GradeMichigan

I've caught up on all pages of this thread... looks like the activity has pretty much ceased over the last couple years. Is there another more 'current' and active thread that people have switched to?

Tankzilla

Northern California, Lake Pillsbury 95469
you can buy new track tensioners like I did they are not expensive and will save you alot of headachs later trust me.

BTW peeps this is my first message here so bear with me. I have a 1984 Komatsu D20A-5. I have done alot of work on it my self I am the mountain mechanic ( among alot of other skills) over her in nor cal at Lake Pillsbury. I have rebuilt all the rams, all new hydraulic lines, new brake pads, track tensioners, alternator and wiring and many other additions. my motor spun a #1 rod bearing :( I got the motor apart and on my engine stand, but getting parts for this first generation motor/dozer has been quite the headache. my motor is a 4D94-2 serial # 65860. Any one hear of a place that sells parts hit me back. I have bought an entire PDF mechanics manual, bought a full rebuild kit including sleeves pistons gaskets etc. Trying to get new connecting rods my number one rod is now a rainbow and number 2 is not much better, better to replace all rods never just bad ones IMO. also had a new crankshaft bought and paid for and it made it to sacremento when DHL some how iether damages or destroyed it :( so now I am haveing to buy another one lucky I found em under 200 bucks. I still need to get a fan blade and oil pump. and thats just to get her back up and running. This Dozer if running well and takin care of is an amazing piece of equipment I have built and maintained alot of roads in the 5 years I have had her. I still need to get sprokets (at $300 each) and tracks ($1600 delivered for the pair), gona weld on 1 inch square rod to all the worn tracks because getting the bolt on cleats are back order for years.
Any feed back would be great, or question I will be happy to answer also.

Welder Dave

you can buy new track tensioners like I did they are not expensive and will save you alot of headachs later trust me.

BTW peeps this is my first message here so bear with me. I have a 1984 Komatsu D20A-5. I have done alot of work on it my self I am the mountain mechanic ( among alot of other skills) over her in nor cal at Lake Pillsbury. I have rebuilt all the rams, all new hydraulic lines, new brake pads, track tensioners, alternator and wiring and many other additions. my motor spun a #1 rod bearing :( I got the motor apart and on my engine stand, but getting parts for this first generation motor/dozer has been quite the headache. my motor is a 4D94-2 serial # 65860. Any one hear of a place that sells parts hit me back. I have bought an entire PDF mechanics manual, bought a full rebuild kit including sleeves pistons gaskets etc. Trying to get new connecting rods my number one rod is now a rainbow and number 2 is not much better, better to replace all rods never just bad ones IMO. also had a new crankshaft bought and paid for and it made it to sacremento when DHL some how iether damages or destroyed it :( so now I am haveing to buy another one lucky I found em under 200 bucks. I still need to get a fan blade and oil pump. and thats just to get her back up and running. This Dozer if running well and takin care of is an amazing piece of equipment I have built and maintained alot of roads in the 5 years I have had her. I still need to get sprokets (at $300 each) and tracks ($1600 delivered for the pair), gona weld on 1 inch square rod to all the worn tracks because getting the bolt on cleats are back order for years.
Any feed back would be great, or question I will be happy to answer also.
Grouser bar would last a lot longer to build up your pads.

Tankzilla

Northern California, Lake Pillsbury 95469
Question for y'all - I'm looking to pickup this D21A-5. Nice machine, runs well and everything appears to work with no real leaks. (See Pics) Does anyone have a Serial # lookup for the year? This Ser# is 63383. I believe it's Gray market judging by the ROPS and Ser#.

Also - I need a source/list for maintenance items, including Oil Type & Capacity, and a Filter list (for Oil Filter, Hyd Filters, Fuel, Air, Etc). Does anyone have a source or list for those items? And, the cutting edge is about worn down. I could use a source for cutting edge as well.

Finally, take a look at the track/pads. Seems like I'm seeing pics of these machines with 2 styles of the narrower 'A' pads... ones that have a more aggressive tread, and these (the style on this machine) which have shorter, but more, treads on the pads. Do these appear to have life left, or are they due for replacement? While you're looking, do you see anything else about the UC or Sprockets that looks alarming?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 290809View attachment 290808View attachment 290810View attachment 290811
these are considered street tracks btw