• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Pots for sale.

Well Pete, I was born in Magee, and I guess those people can try to sell each other anything!
You mentioned awhile back that you busted a hose. How did you go about getting that replaced?

WD

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Broken Hose

I actually broke the fitting on the end of the hose, where it hooks to a block on the U frame behind the blade.
It was very rusty and weak......I took it to a truck parts place that makes hoses. The fittings are all metric, but they happened to have some on hand. I had the old one with me, of course. They made up the hose and all fit fine.
It was about 4' long. Think about $40.
The metric fittings are the problem. Just lucky they had 'em.
Everything on the dozer is metric.(to my knowledge)
Pete

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Yaupon Holly

Howdy
Here are a couple pics of yaupon. This stuff has green berries on it now, but in the winter, they will be red. Some people have a smaller variety planted as a yard plant. This paticular stuff here grows over 20' high in a clump and pushes over with a large, flat root mass exposed. (shallow roots)
It can take over a place. I have areas I cannot walk thru because of it. It hangs up on others when cut or pushed and will not fall to the ground. It is very hard to deal with .... need a bigger dozer really, to attack it.
Pete

Attachments

• Yaupon Holly and Cleared Land Jul 2007 (2) (Small).JPG
    Yaupon Holly and Cleared Land Jul 2007 (2) (Small).JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,659
  • Yaupon Holly and Cleared Land Jul 2007 (Small).JPG
    Yaupon Holly and Cleared Land Jul 2007 (Small).JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 2,693

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Noisy under carriage

Guys,

I am getting a lot of squealing and grinding sounds from the undercarriage of my D21P-7. About twenty hours or so ago I tightened the tracks up to the specs as written in the manual. Within the last ten hours or so, my wife says that the tracks are making more noise than they used to, and most of the noise seems to be coming from the sprocket area, lots of creaking etc. Is this normal for this dozer, or am I overlooking something? According to the specifications on the tracks I have less than 20% wear on the pins and sprocket. Advise is appreciated.
:confused:

WD

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Howdy WD and Group
I have my tracks tightened to 1 1/2" slack....which is more than specified (not much as I think it works out to 1" to 1 1/4" if I read it right).
The tracks creak and moan, but no popping at the sprocket as it did when real loose. I have them much tighter than the guy I bought it from ran them.
He did not have a manual.
I ran the heck out of it today as I am working up burn piles and burning.
It was a bit hot for that at 97 degrees, but the old dozer did fine. I'm the one that got hot...ha ha.
From what I can gather, they are too loose if you get the popping of the sprocket on the chain when turning, rough work...etc......seems like most like to run 'em kinda loose, but I like to stick pretty close to the manual. (it's in there for a reason)
Good luck, Pete

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Tracks that are too tight will be loud.I am not saying that you don't have other problems but the first thing to look for when your tracks are loud is adjustment problems and since you just did yours I would investigate that possibility.Feeling the front idler bearings with your hand should tell you if they are running too warm which would mean that they have too much tension on them.Run the dozer back and forth without touching the steering brakes or clutches or the foot brake and let it roll to rest before you measure the tension.The dozer should roll easily without power to the tracks on a small incline and should not pull to either side when walking a straight line on hard ground.Ron G

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Tracks..Thanks.

Thanks Pete and Ron. I have set the adjustment to 1 1/4" exactly according to the manual. I will check the heat on the front idler bearing just to verify that over tightening is not the problem. Probably the adjustment did cause a change in the sound which is what I am noticing. Nope, no sprocket popping, thankfully. The info on how to measure tension is very welcome Ron, and thats the first thing I'll check today. IF I do any dozer work. It is forecasted to be 98 degrees today, and while the dozer can handle it, the old man has a problem.

R Leo

striped the bolts onthe the plate that cover the grease fitting that tightens the tracks. any ideas on how to get these bolts out.
The threads must be rusted out...use a grinder or cut-off wheel on a grinder to remove the bolt head(s) and then you can remove the cover. Try using Kroil, PB Blaster or the penetrating oil of your choice to free-up the threads, then drill for an easyout and remove.

Good luck.

R Leo

Anyone pull the plates on their Japanese equipment and find um, Japanese?

This says:
Band Brake
Steering Clutch

It's written in katakana, the phonetic symbols the Japanese use to sound out non-Japanese words/sounds.

The date at the top (in European format yy/mm/dd) interestingly, is based on the current Emperor's reign which started in 1988...thus 04/11/17 is the fourth year (1992), Novermber, 17th. My dozer is a D20P6 and I believe that -6 units were an early '90s model.

This is the plate that covers the brake adjustment and steering valve/clutches.

Attachments

• P9280172Small.jpg
    P9280172Small.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 2,545
Last edited:

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Howdy
My D21 has no plates covering the track adjustment fitting.....somebody lost them long ago.
That plate is interesting. Good to know that you can decipher their writing....
R Leo, how hard is it to get at that plate?....one for each side?
I changed the rear left track roller today.....the rear ones are the hardest becuz of the guard. Only remove outer guard and use torch to cut the part on the other one in the way of removing the roller once loose....can't understand why they built it like they did, but it's thin metal and easy to cut out. Had to heat bolts on outer guard and tap a lot to get 'em loose.
After this, I found 4 other rollers bad.....got 'em on order.
ps: had to go buy a 12 ton bottle jack to jack up the rear to work on tracks.
I know of a site with pics on a complete track roller job if anyone needs to check it out...on the Chinese tractor site.
Pete

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
To Rangerfreak about plates

Are you talking about the access doors to the grease fittings or the entire covers?
The access doors have one captive bolt which doesn't come all the way out, and just seem to spin. A screwdriver could be used to pry up the door once the bolt is backed off. Each of the entire plates has four bolts, two outside and two inside (underneath the dozer). At least this is the way it works on the D21P-7 I've got. If it doesn't work that way with yours, the old grind off is the only method.
Good Luck.

WD

R Leo

That plate is interesting. Good to know that you can decipher their writing....
Actually, the day job is at a Japanese company. I had a friend explain it to me.
R Leo, how hard is it to get at that plate?....one for each side?
This cover is the one on the back of the dozer, sitting at an angle under the batteries.
I know of a site with pics on a complete track roller job if anyone needs to check it out...on the Chinese tractor site.
Pete
Post that link!!!!

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Link to pics on guys replacing track rollers, etc....

Hey RLeo....here's the link. The web site is for folks owning Chinese made tractors. This fellow owns one, and also bought a Komatsu dozer....he has done all the things to it himself....must be a real handy guy.....

http://ctocf.proboards54.com/index.cgi?board=bulldozers&action=display&thread=1179380425&page=1

Lots of pages....towards the last is the info on rollers.....great read on all the things he has done, and very informative on the dozer.
Pete in MS

R Leo

what is the best tool to get striped bolts out besides drilling:Banghead

An EDM tool might work but you aren't gonna find one at Harbor Fright.

Have you tried alternately heating it and soaking it in PB Blaster?

rangerfreak

what size is it

this may seem like a stupid question what size mm are the bolts that are on the track tighting cover that is on each side (there are 4 bolts on each side):Banghead of the dozer , but i am asking it because i do not have my dozer on hand to check it myself.