• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Jeff D.

Pete,

Let me check with my supplier here in Jackson.
WD, if you would, ask them about home heating oil too. I run that in my Bobcat and dozer with some Howes added, and haven't had any issues yet. I wondered if that was any different, or had more sulphur?:beatsme

Jeff

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Heating Oil.

Jeff,

I have heard of this being done up north. There is one problem. Nobody here in Mississippi sells or stocks heating oil! BUT....here is some information:

Off road Diesel #2 and Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil # 2 apparently differ only in the tax applied at the time of sale.

Both are dyed red. They differ from standard Road Diesel #2 in that road tax has been applied, no red dye has been added, and there is a specification regarding ash and/or sulphur content. In extremely cold climates, Standard Road Diesel #2 may be blended with Diesel #1 or Kerosene K-1 to assist with gelling problems resulting from the cold weather. Similar blending may occur on home heating oil / fuel oil based on your geographic region, anticipated temperatures, and overall climate.

Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil #4 and Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil #6 have a higher BTU content. This is normally accomplished by adding much heavier petroleum oil distillate similar to automotive motor oil to the formulation. This allows a furnace to burn less fuel, for each BTU of heat produced, as well as often times reducing the cost per gallon of fuel. These types of Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil should NOT be used in a Diesel Fueled Engine or Generator.

In times of shortage, Standard Road Diesel #2, Diesel #1, Kerosene, K-1, Jet Fuel, JP-1, Agricultural Diesel, Diesel #2, Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil #4, or Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil #6 may be shipped by fuel distribution companies and sold for use as home heating oil. There may also be times that, due to economic and other considerations, fuel distributors sell any or all of these products, or combinations and blends of the same, to home owners, as simply Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil.

SUMMARY: Home Heating Oil / Fuel Oil #2 and Off Road / Agricultural Diesel #2 seem to be very similar products. More importantly, Home Heating Oil #2 is refers to a very specific product, and a very specific formulation, which, in many cases, may be a very similar product in terms of composition and formulation as Off-Road Agricultural Grade Diesel #2.

Hope that helps.

WD

Jeff D.

Jeff,

I have heard of this being done up north. There is one problem. Nobody here in Mississippi sells or stocks heating oil! BUT....here is some information:....

.......Hope that helps.

WD
Yes that does. I'm burning #2 home fuel oil, but I'll cut it with #1 diesel fuel when it's cold out. Sounds like that is ok to do then.

Thank you Sir.

Jeff

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Fuel

Jeff,

Glad to be of help. BTW, how much IS heating oil up there? I pay about $2.00 per gallon for Ag diesel here.

Just wondering

WD

Jeff D.

Jeff,

Glad to be of help. BTW, how much IS heating oil up there? I pay about $2.00 per gallon for Ag diesel here.

Just wondering

WD
The last time I bought any was 3/13/07 @ $2.599/gal delivered.

I checked my recietes for the closest to that date I'd bought "on road", it was 3/14/07 @ $2.799/gal at the truckstop. Last Wends. I paid $2.859 for "on road".:(

So it's approx $.20 less + it's delivered. Not a huge savings, but some.

Jeff

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
AG Diesel in Mississippi

The last time I bought any was 3/13/07 @ $2.599/gal delivered.

I checked my recietes for the closest to that date I'd bought "on road", it was 3/14/07 @ $2.799/gal at the truckstop. Last Wends. I paid $2.859 for "on road".:(

So it's approx $.20 less + it's delivered. Not a huge savings, but some.

Jeff

Pete and anyone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the last Ag diesel I bought was a little over $2.00 a gallon, but no fed or state tax was charged, so it made it somewhere near a .75 cents per gallon savings. Well worth the special tank and pump!
NOW...can anyone tell me this: what time/hours usage does Komatsu specify for changing the different oils and filters in the D21P? Finally got a manual shipped but has not arrived yet and I was just wondering.

WD

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Howdy
WD, here are some specs on filter changes, etc...

Initial 250 hrs (new machine)
Engine oil and filter
Fuel filter
Main clutch case....clean strainer and change oil (D-20)
Trans bevel gear case...(D-20)...change oil
Trans case (D 21)...Clean strainer and change oil
Trans bevel case (D-21) change oil
Hydraulic tank and filter....change filter and oil
Final drive...change oil
Engine valve clearance....check and adjust

500 hours:
Engine oil and filter
Fuel filter
Clean breather element
Clean radiator fins

1000 hrs
Clean strainers and change oil in trans (both 20 & 21)
Change oil in bevel gear case...21
Hydraulic filter and oil change
Check lube conditions on undercarriage components

500 hrs sounds like a mighty long spell before changing engine oil and filter. My Ford New Holland diesel tractor says every 100 hrs.
Oil used is type for diesel engines, not gas engines. I run 30 wt in mine. Think I should be using 40 since got a lot of hours on mine. (and it's getting really hot outside !!!) Normal proceedure is to let warm up before loading engine and also to idle a spell for a cool off before shutdown.

I don't remember what diesel costs (off road)....but I gotta go get some soon....I just use 2 plastic fuel tanks....5 gal size I think...
Know it ain't cheap.
Pete

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Lube Schedule

Pete,

500 hours seems long to me too, but with the new superfilters like WIX (cost four times as much, last twice as long), the new oils, etc, I can see where it would be possible, but I think I would be using only synthetic oil if I went that long with it. I believe I'll set my schedule up for 250 hours for motor oil/filter and do the rest at 1000 hours as scheduled. (By the way, I wonder how you "Check lube conditions on undercarriage components"!) Thanks for the good info. Keep a-clackin'.

WD

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Hey WD and all....
To check undercarriage lube conditions, think they are refering to pulling plugs on track rollers and checking for presence of oil in 'em and also on the front idlers...(and top roller ) ..all the places where I put grease zerks......ha. I have pumped a little grease in mine, but some grade of oil goes in 'em. Book says contact Komatsu man to lube them.

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
PS:
I broke a hose fitting on mine today...think a limb got it. The hose on right angle cylinder. It was rusted real bad and weak. Saw oil dripping, but all was working ok.... Will get one made tomorrow in Poplarville.
Take Care
Pete

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Today it arrived!

Well, I got a phone call this morning at 7:00 AM informing me that my newly purchased D21P-7 had arrived in my driveway, and how did I plan to unload it? It was loaded on the rear of a long-haul flatbed sitting four feet off the ground. I informed the driver that it was to be unloaded in my pasture, as I didn't have any 1.ramps, 2.fork lifts, 3.cranes, or 4. any other way, to unload it.:beatsme
After much head scratching, backing up to embankments, stopping traffic,etc., I finally opted to call a flatbed wrecker which backed up to the flatbed trailer, transferred the dozer, drove to the above mentioned pasture and unloaded the machine. Would it have been easier for the dealer to ship on a low-boy gooseneck, or a lowboy with a ramp? Would it have been better for the dealer to have told me that I needed a way to unload the dozer when it arrived? Yep, sure would have. And it would have save me the $75 wrecker fee.:Banghead Ah well, finally got it!
During shipment the blade had been angled hard right to save width. Came off the trailer that way, and when I went to try it out, the blade stayed that way. No matter how I moved the stick, left/right tilt, up down, the blade stayed angeled hard right. What the...:confused: Worked around the place for a couple of hours...no change. Hard right. Finally called the dealer who turned me over to the mech, who asked me if I had a "T" handle on the blade operator or a standard handle. I told him I had a standard. "Is there a button on the top of the handle?" he asked. Nope, I said. "Huh", he said. " Let me let you talk to the salesman who loaded it". The salesman said " There is a button on the top of the blade lever that you push". No, I said, there isn't. "Oh", he said, " It don't LOOK like a button...It looks like part of the knob". He was right. Just push the top of the lever knob, and you can angle the blade.
Huh.
This is a GREAT little machine, and I am beginning to get the hang of it a little bit. The sweeps are imperative! GOT to have them if you are going into the woods. I am going to turn the exhaust around 90 degrees to stop limbs from grabbing... all fluids are fresh, all levels are full, and it even had a half tank of diesel when it arrived.
Life don't get no better!:drinkup

Jeff D.

Congrats on your new machine WD!! Sounds like you'll be having some fun now.:thumbsup

Where da picture is??:beatsme (with sweeps)

thom203

Hitachi dozer Dm45x-1992

I am new to this website and probably I am in the wrong area for posting. but the grey market equipment thread seems appropriate.

I have contacted many Hitachi dealers including the corparate office in Japan but, none have been able to help me ( most did not know Hitachi made a dozer).
I have also had several heavy equipment service people take a look at the unit at the dozer without sucess.

I am hoping that someone on the site will have knowledge or can provide additional leads on how to tighten the tracks on this dozer. Most people say that there should be grease fittings but no one thus far has been able to locate the adjustment fittings.

If anyone has a service manual,experience with this type of dozer or other documentation/information please contact me. Thank-you.

rangerfreak

shure

I am new to this website and probably I am in the wrong area for posting. but the grey market equipment thread seems appropriate.

I have contacted many Hitachi dealers including the corparate office in Japan but, none have been able to help me ( most did not know Hitachi made a dozer).
I have also had several heavy equipment service people take a look at the unit at the dozer without sucess.

I am hoping that someone on the site will have knowledge or can provide additional leads on how to tighten the tracks on this dozer. Most people say that there should be grease fittings but no one thus far has been able to locate the adjustment fittings.

If anyone has a service manual,experience with this type of dozer or other documentation/information please contact me. Thank-you.

it is a grey market dozer

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF thom203! :drinkup

Can you give some more details on the piece of equipment you're talking about.....model number and such.

Pictures are good too. :thumbsup

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Here it am.

Where it are?? Try again. I bet you are proud. When you figure out how to post pics, maybe you can tell me and I'll post a pic of mine....it ain't purty !
Mine has been rode hard and put up wet a lot (before I got it).
Congratulations !!!!!
Pete:D

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Posting the picture! (Well, TRYING to post the picture)

I think this MIGHT do it. Ran it about six hours today. No problems at all. Other than the dog.

Attachments

• Small Dozer.JPG
    Small Dozer.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,788