• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

MUDSLINGERS

Occupation
Finish dozer operator
Ok - this is my third try to post a photo. Hope it works. Had to do the resizing thing.
When I took a close look at the track to take the picture, I saw the flat edges had been welded on. Is that for a specific purpose?
Had to park the new toy in the shead. Been doing much needed maintance on the tractor we use to bale hay. Haying will keep my oldest son and I busy for a while. Local bank sign said we broke 100 degrees today. I believe it was accurate.

Just wondering if you got you tracks fixed yet?? All I would do is cut them off down to good metal to weld to and put some straight up and down 2" straps 1/2" thick on there and weld them good and maybe cover that weld with some hard surface.

loaderbob

then when they come off they can go through the crusher:eek:as was the case with ours,i guess it's ok if not using dozer to push up material to be crushed -20mm just saying.:beatsme

northcreek

I have a question for those who work on their own Komatsu dozer. Where do you get your parts? A Komatsu dealer? Are there any other options. I have a D20P7 and can't find anywhere to buy parts. Help

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
I got my rollers from Heavyquip. Hydraulic oil filter only from Komatsu, but engine oil filters from auto parts place. No other parts needed yet.
Good Luck........Pete

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
What parts do you need. Dang I have a lot of normal wear items here at my place and can get anything you want for your machine. Contact me.

Darin

I have a question for those who work on their own Komatsu dozer. Where do you get your parts? A Komatsu dealer? Are there any other options. I have a D20P7 and can't find anywhere to buy parts. Help

Frank Dozer

The Same Dozer As Kbeamish

D21a-5 Serail # 52814
Hello Kbeamish. I have the same dozer as you :drinkup. D21A-5 with a canopy, 6 way blade, 1740 hours.It runs and operates just fine. I'm having a small situation with the track adjusters. They now take grease, bur I can't back them off to release the pressure to adjust the tracks. I afraid that to much force on the greaser bolt will snap it off. So I drilled a small hole 1/8 diameter in front of it I can now grease it up and release the pressure. Now I have to weld the hole shut. I'm thinking of using JB Weld and just not greasing it too much. Do you have all the manuals?
Frank

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
On some of these units there is a hold down bracket that may be holding your grease valve so tight. I have yet, knock on wood, broke one of these valves off but your's I guess could be the first. Did you drill a hole in the valve or the cylinder the valve screws into? Talk to you again. Darin

Hello Kbeamish. I have the same dozer as you :drinkup. D21A-5 with a canopy, 6 way blade, 1740 hours.It runs and operates just fine. I'm having a small situation with the track adjusters. They now take grease, bur I can't back them off to release the pressure to adjust the tracks. I afraid that to much force on the greaser bolt will snap it off. So I drilled a small hole 1/8 diameter in front of it I can now grease it up and release the pressure. Now I have to weld the hole shut. I'm thinking of using JB Weld and just not greasing it too much. Do you have all the manuals?
Frank

Frank Dozer

Track adjusters, A continuing Saga............

On some of these units there is a hold down bracket that may be holding your grease valve so tight. I have yet, knock on wood, broke one of these valves off but your's I guess could be the first. Did you drill a hole in the valve or the cylinder the valve screws into? Talk to you again. Darin
Hello Darinray, No, I don't have the hold down bracket. Just a 1" piece of angle iron that comes factory made to protect the grease valve. I drilled into the cylinder body about 2" forward of the grease valve. A 1/8" hole and I only drilled into the cylinder body about 3/16", maybe less, then the grease oozed out because of the spring pressure. Before I weld it or JB Weld it, I tried to plug the hole with a "V" tapered rubber plug and a hose clamp. But grease oozed out around the plug. So, I was thinking about the JB Weld. At last resort, I'll mig weld it closed. I'd rather get the valve out, but I'm too chicken to put a lot of strain on the valve nut.
Frank

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
I see. You will have to weld it to keep tension on the tracks. Now with that hole drilled into the cylinder you should be fine with heating up the area around the valve to break it tree. No build up of pressure will happen with that drilled hole right??? Keep us posted.

Darin

Hello Darinray, No, I don't have the hold down bracket. Just a 1" piece of angle iron that comes factory made to protect the grease valve. I drilled into the cylinder body about 2" forward of the grease valve. A 1/8" hole and I only drilled into the cylinder body about 3/16", maybe less, then the grease oozed out because of the spring pressure. Before I weld it or JB Weld it, I tried to plug the hole with a "V" tapered rubber plug and a hose clamp. But grease oozed out around the plug. So, I was thinking about the JB Weld. At last resort, I'll mig weld it closed. I'd rather get the valve out, but I'm too chicken to put a lot of strain on the valve nut.
Frank

mikek

Frank

Frank,

tap the hole you drilled and put a setscrew or a pipe plug in it, 1/16" NPT (you won't find that tap at local hardware store) or 1/8" NPT.

Frank Dozer

Frank,

tap the hole you drilled and put a setscrew or a pipe plug in it, 1/16" NPT (you won't find that tap at local hardware store) or 1/8" NPT.
Hello Mikek, I'd rather tap the hole but because of the rust and the inside moving piston, there might be 1/16 to 1/8 of metal left. Do you think a bottoming out tap would work?
Frank

Frank Dozer

Need a ROPS for a 1985 Koamtsu D21A-5

Hello Komatsu People. Does anyone have a ROPS for a 1985 Komatsu D21A-5 for sale or know where I can get one. I'd prefer a used one to save cash. I'm in Massachusetts.
Thanks,
Frank

rogsal

I have a 2005 Komatsu D31PX-21 Dozer. Has been in shop 4 times for Hydrostatic Pump problems, AND final Drive problem. Has anyone out there had these problems with this make and model?

kbeamish

Occupation
OIl & Gas Production
Frank

Hey Frank. I have been too cheap to fork out the $ for the manuals yet.
I have added grease to tighten tracks a couple of times, but not had a need to bleed anything off.

Hey, it was -40c here yesterday. Has anyone installed an oil pan block heater, or a coolant circulating heater in one of these units?

Thanks
Kevin

R Glover

Hey Danny,

I have a D-21P that has the thin batterys. I have replaced them with a thin Interstate battery. They were around 40.00 ea and work fine.

Good Luck
Rube

IdleUp

Hello everyone - I'm a newbe here but I've owned my D21A for 12 years now and it's never failed me, however, I've run out of adjustment on the right brake. While it will still lock the track moving forward, I have almost no reverse steering. The right brake lever is almost in my lap when I pull it all the way back.

Years ago, I tightened the nut inside the case all the way, could i adjust the linkage to get some more steering out of it.

Thanks In advance!

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Hello IdleUp. Welcome aboard :) Sounds like you hvae a real nice machine with trouble free work. From the way you have described it I woudl say you have used up all of the brake band OR the big nut won't go farther on the thread because it is rusted up or damaged threads on the bolt. ???? Hard to say unless you open it up really. Whenever I change the steering clutches and or brake bands on these units I normally have to clean the threads off to make it adjust easier.

Darin