• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

IdleUp

Hello IdleUp. Welcome aboard :) Sounds like you hvae a real nice machine with trouble free work. From the way you have described it I woudl say you have used up all of the brake band OR the big nut won't go farther on the thread because it is rusted up or damaged threads on the bolt. ???? Hard to say unless you open it up really. Whenever I change the steering clutches and or brake bands on these units I normally have to clean the threads off to make it adjust easier.

Darin

Thanks for the quick reply - When I adjusted it last - the nut was real tight but it did move. Ok, can I buy parts ( brake bands) for my machine? I think it's a 80-85 model - it's a 2 speed auto trans. How much of a job is it to install the bands? any threads for me to look over?

Thanks

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
Hmmm.. I would try to open it up and inspect because it may just need a cleaning. Of course that wouldn't be my luck buy anyway> :) I actually have ALL the parts on the shelf for steering clutches, steel disc, and brake bands for most of the smaller Komatsu dozers. Contact me anytime by private message here.

Darin

IdleUp

Hmmm.. I would try to open it up and inspect because it may just need a cleaning. Of course that wouldn't be my luck buy anyway> :) I actually have ALL the parts on the shelf for steering clutches, steel disc, and brake bands for most of the smaller Komatsu dozers. Contact me anytime by private message here.

Darin

Darin,

Thanks - I'll get into it hopefully next week!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yeah, these machines are bad about the brake adjuster threads getting rusty, since it's a dry clutch housing, from moisture build up inside the housing. I've had this problem on a number of these machines. Back the adjusting nut off and remove it, you should then be able to measure how much of the adjuster bolt was inside the nut. This may require several back off / screw on attempts, and plenty of spray lube. If you determine there's still room for screw inside the nut, clean all the threads, and re-install. Important!: apply never-seize liberally to threads of bolt. If this solves your adjusting problem, go ahead and take the time right now to do the same procedure on your other brake adjuster. You can do it now...or you will do it later...when you don't have time because you need to work with the machine!

nbasch

I just got my first Dozer today, I have had skid steers forever, Got me a D20, I am having alittle trouble with steering on one side, is there any easy adjustment or does it sound like the clutches are sticking? Any info would be greatly appreciated, email me at nathanbasch@gmail.com if you don't mind, I bought it to clear small brush on 30 acres

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
Glad to see you joined. You will find a ton of into here for sure. Anyway I wanted to let you know that you should have bought it from me for starters. :) It does sound like your clutches are sticking together or rusted steel plates that are in between the clutches. Either way you will probably tear it down to correct it properly. BUT try to use it some and really pull the side that is giving you the trouble becaue sometimes the clutches do clean up enough to be usable again. There is a steering clutch adjustment bolt and nut inside the top housing but you have to remove the cover to adjust it. There is also a break band adjusting nut on the backside of the housing you can tighten ONLY if you have to pull the steering level way back toward you when trying to steer. OOPS forgot to ask if when you pull the troubled side does it bog the motor down like trying to stall it? Also check to make sure there is NO oil in either steering clutch case. Keep us posted.

Darin

nbasch

doesn't bog the motor, I have noticed with alittle use its acting like its going to work, this dozer set for almost 2 years before I bought it, its a D20a-5 so I know its an older one but seems to be in good shape, how do I identify the age and where can I buy a service manual so that I can do my own maintenance and repairs?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The one thing you don't want to do with the D20 or D21 is let them sit for a long period of time. The clutch plates will get stuck. Sometimes they will work loose. But more often than not, you'll have to take it down and clean 'em up.

IdleUp

When my machine sits it locks up too - the quick cure is to pop it in gear, it usually makes a racket when it finally breaks loose but it works perfect. Been doing this for over 10 years now.

I do have a question for you experts - I don't think my adjusting nut is going to give me any more adjustment - is there an adjustment for the linkage? my hand levers are almost in my lap.

Thanks

nbasch

Engine help

I have a neighbor that has a D20A-5, same dozer as the one I just recently purchased, after using mine around the house this past week he came over and said he had one just like it, but wouldn't run, After looking at it the block has frozen and busted, does anyone know where a used replacement block can be bought, it will start and run but leaks too bad to operate due to overheating, anyone have any suggestions? We live in north Alabama so the closer the better, any help greatly appreciated nathanbasch@gmail.com

PonyExpress94

Hey, it was -40c here yesterday. Has anyone installed an oil pan block heater, or a coolant circulating heater in one of these units?

Thanks
Kevin

Hello, from another noobie. I am just finding this site thanks to a Google search for the question above that Kevin is asking. My particular dozer is a 1990 D21E-6 with approximately 2800 hours on it. It runs great but it is hard to start in the cold weather and I would really like to install an engine block heater in it. Does anyone have a recommendation where to find one to purchase and what size are the freeze/casting plugs in the block? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Patrick

IdleUp

Hey Danny,

I have a D-21P that has the thin batterys. I have replaced them with a thin Interstate battery. They were around 40.00 ea and work fine.

Good Luck
Rube

I went to Auto Zone (discount auto supplies right?) to buy a few new batteries as well and their cheap "Economy Battery" now sells for $72 each. I bought the same batteries in 06 for around $40 no wonder the whole country is going down the tubes!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hello, from another noobie. I am just finding this site thanks to a Google search for the question above that Kevin is asking. My particular dozer is a 1990 D21E-6 with approximately 2800 hours on it. It runs great but it is hard to start in the cold weather and I would really like to install an engine block heater in it. Does anyone have a recommendation where to find one to purchase and what size are the freeze/casting plugs in the block? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Patrick

I suppose you could come up with some kind of block heater. It's been a while since I've worked on a D20 or 21, but I'm almost certain they have glow plugs. Are you using them to preheat for starting?

PonyExpress94

I suppose you could come up with some kind of block heater. It's been a while since I've worked on a D20 or 21, but I'm almost certain they have glow plugs. Are you using them to preheat for starting?

Yes it does have glow plugs and yes I use them but it takes alot of heat and some very small tweaks on the throttle to get it to catch and then stay running.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes it does have glow plugs and yes I use them but it takes alot of heat and some very small tweaks on the throttle to get it to catch and then stay running.

OK, are you sure the glow plugs are "doing their job"? 2800 hrs on these machines is usually not a "worn out engine", unless it's just been abused. I think on these machines, and I could be wrong, when you turn the keyswitch to the glow plug position; it sends current first to the glow plug indicator on the dash panel that begins to glow after about a half a minute. Then the current goes to the glow plugs to find ground. Does your glow plug indicator "glow"? If not, I have seen them "burned out", which doesn't allow current to reach glow plugs. If it does glow, current is getting to glow plugs, but they could be weak. With 2800 hrs, I would consider replacing glow plugs if they're getting current but engine still hard to start.

PonyExpress94

OK, are you sure the glow plugs are "doing their job"? 2800 hrs on these machines is usually not a "worn out engine", unless it's just been abused. I think on these machines, and I could be wrong, when you turn the keyswitch to the glow plug position; it sends current first to the glow plug indicator on the dash panel that begins to glow after about a half a minute. Then the current goes to the glow plugs to find ground. Does your glow plug indicator "glow"? If not, I have seen them "burned out", which doesn't allow current to reach glow plugs. If it does glow, current is getting to glow plugs, but they could be weak. With 2800 hrs, I would consider replacing glow plugs if they're getting current but engine still hard to start.

The indicator does glow in the "heat" position (turn key to left and hold) as well as while in the "start" position (turn to the far right). I usually hold my thumb over the glow plug indicator "screen" until it feels hot and then try to start the engine. I suppose this only takes 30 seconds so perhaps I'm just not letting them warm up enough once they find ground as you describe it. I was afraid holding the switch in the heat position any longer would harm the glow plugs and draw down the batteries unnecessarily.

Thanks for the tip on the glow plugs I will look into getting a new set.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The indicator does glow in the "heat" position (turn key to left and hold) as well as while in the "start" position (turn to the far right). I usually hold my thumb over the glow plug indicator "screen" until it feels hot and then try to start the engine. I suppose this only takes 30 seconds so perhaps I'm just not letting them warm up enough once they find ground as you describe it. I was afraid holding the switch in the heat position any longer would harm the glow plugs and draw down the batteries unnecessarily.

Thanks for the tip on the glow plugs I will look into getting a new set.

Hey, I'd give it a try. Otherwise, if you opt for a block heater you have to always have the rig in a place where there's 120v electricity available to plug in the heater wherever it's parked.

Frank Dozer

3 Point Hitch For A Komatsu D21A-5

I heard of a 3 point hitch for a Komatsu D21A-5 but can't find it. Does someone sell one or has anyone made one. The Nortrac dozers come factory with one. I need a 3 pth and would like to add one to my Komatsu. My dozer goes places my 4 wheeler won't go and I can take the backhoe off my Ironhorse tractor and use it on the dozer. Besides, there are other attachments I could use on it.

IdleUp

Looks like my starter finally went south - last time this happened, I had to have the windings repaired. Is there a site where I can find a rebuilt starter for my D21A?

Thanks