• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

nair68

Hello Everyone, New member and first time poster here, but have been lurking for the past three months, and have found the forums very informative.
I have a tall order from a business partner in Fiji Islands. He wants me to find him a D20/BD2 sized dozer with standard tracks and 6-way blade system, which is the simple part. Next, he wants this machine to also have ROPS canopy, and a multi shank rippers (3 or 5). This is where the request gets complicated. I spoke to a number of dealers here in Australia who have the brands and models in stock. A few have told me that one movement feature of the blades will have to be disabled to route the hydraulics to operate the ripper. This would also have to be professionally fitted by some dozer mechanics outfit. I thought that rippers would be a common enough attachment, but in reality appear a rarity in this sized dozers. The application of this machine will mostly be agricultural - to break new grounds. ROPS would be a comforting addition due to the terrain where the dozer will operate. Again it is like prospecting for gems - finding second-hand ROPS equipped dozers, i.e.
My search has led to the Chinese YCT-306S, which has the 6-way blade system, plus ROPS fitted as standard. Also a variety of rippers are available, from single to 5-shanks.
If someone is able to shed some light on these matter, it would be most appreciated. Thanks, Anand.

JimInOz

Mitsy Dozers

HI Nair68,
The Mitsy dozers didn't come out with Factory ROPS,& mostly had a sun canopy on them.A company like Casey Cabs will make one...my last quote was about $4K.
You can get them with standard or swamp track & in Direct Powershift or Gear drive.The swamp tracked,gear drive units are common,but I've had standard track,powershift dozers & loader.
You can build a scarifier for these machines....& it certainly makes the dozer more versatile.They were mainly designed as a snow/mud mover...so rippers weren't commonly fitted.Early JD machines had a diverter valve fitted for ripper on their crawler Loaders.
A fiat 605 or similar may fit the bill better,or a Case 450.

PM me if you like
Jim

nair68

Thanks, Jim. I'll search on Casey and like operators and see what I find re ROPS fitters. Also will have to see whether scarifiers will do the tasks this mate has in mind.
Have an enjoyable Australia Day.
Will write more later.
Anand.

dnewman

Occupation
mechanical contractor
just bought 960 hr 2000 d20p seems like you have to pull back way to hard on the levers to get the track to respond so you can turn, both levers respond the same.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
If your's is a 2000 model then it should be on the left side by the seat. So when sitting in seat look down on the left and there will be a tag there. If not there is a number stamped in the left side rear chassis where the bolt hole with plugs are. Let me know and I'll run the year for you to confirm..

Darin

keito

D21a6

I just bought a machine and would like to know whats a good trailer to pull with weight length etc. also can you tell me where I can get some insurance?

IdleUp

I just bought a machine and would like to know whats a good trailer to pull with weight length etc. also can you tell me where I can get some insurance?

Don't know if you're a property owner but you home owners policy will cover the machine if its on your own property with no additional charge.

dnewman

Occupation
mechanical contractor
when im sitting in the seat of my mod 2000 d20p there is a lever just below the steering wheel on the right side about what an emergency brake would look like, when the dozer is moving i pulled it out as it to set it but it didnt seem to respond it it a brake or something else,( it a 1/4 inch rod that comes out of the firewall.

dnewman

Occupation
mechanical contractor
im new to the dozer business and the weather has been bad so im taking it one step at a time, the dozer runs great but has a few items id like to learn more about before spring hits. the only real issue i have is steering, you just have to pull too hard to get the track to respond. i called a komatsu dealer and they told me to push the blade against a tree first right side and then left side with the machine loaded up and then pull the levers to see if the tracke stopped pulling, i guess it makes sense to me. the weather has been so bad i have not had a chance to check it out.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
You never did give me the serial number so I could tell you more about your dozer. :(

The lever hold the brake pedal engaged so you have to push the brake pedal and then pull the lever. To dis engage you have to push the brake pedal in a bit more and push the 1/4 rod in too at the same time. DON'T leave the brakes on those because they like to freeze linkage in that position.

The tree will only work if you don't just sit there and spin your tracks. You have to make sure you have traction with a load on the machine. Do you have oil in the steering cluches? Maybe your brake band can't work because it's wet with oil. If you machine isn't lugging down the motor when you pull the steering lever it's not the clutches stuck together. Talk to you again. call this guy 716-397-5963 cell.

Darin

keito

I just bought a D21A6. Seems like it is going to be a good machine. The oil is dirty so I want to change it and all the filters. I was trying to locate the Drain Oil plug but I didn't see it. I was wondering if you need to remove the skid plate or side plates to access it. Thanks for the info.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
There is a access door below the engine on the skid plate. 17mm bolt to remove.

keito

I have a service manual coming in the mail if you didn't get all your answers give me an e-mail and I'll help you out.
on my new dozer or should i say used dozer there 3 dipsticks one is under the hood which i know is the oil stick, then there is one right underneath the seat what is this one?and what is the one underneath the brake peddle on the right.Also what specific fluid should i use on each one.
thank you for your time and have a nice day

P.S how do i tighten my tracks

keito

I have a D21A-6 and very new to the dozer business just learning. I hear a lot about the tranny, Mine has 1.2.3 forward and 1.2,3 reverse gears. Is this supposed to be a good tranny or should I be aware of any quirks?

dnewman

Occupation
mechanical contractor
when the dozer is moving in a straight line and you pull back on either the left or right
lever trying to turn at first you think something is wrong because you get no response
and then when you really put some pressure on the lever it responds just fine either lever. its border line that you have to brace your feet while pulling back to get the track to respond, and im sure if my wife was to get in the seat it would take her both hands. just a little easier would be nice.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
The machine is a 1995 according to your serial number.

Oh I see.

Take the back guards off the machine so you can get to the steering clutch case.

There will be a small cap on each case that is held in place with 2 17mm bolt heads that you have to take off.

Inside you will see a 17mm nut head that you need to adjust. If it is hard to move or won't move I've actually put a 3' cheater bar on the breaker bar to get better leverage and she will break free.... OR BREAK> :)

Spray some penetrating fluid on the fitting if you can see with a flashlight where to aim.

If it is this hard I would just tighten the bolt down then back it off.. spray some more... tighten it down until you DON'T have to pull the levers wayyyy back to get the brake band to stop the machine's track.

IF THE MACHINE boggs down when you pull the levers back then the clutches aren't releasing so let us know.

Darin

when the dozer is moving in a straight line and you pull back on either the left or right
lever trying to turn at first you think something is wrong because you get no response
and then when you really put some pressure on the lever it responds just fine either lever. its border line that you have to brace your feet while pulling back to get the track to respond, and im sure if my wife was to get in the seat it would take her both hands. just a little easier would be nice.