• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

H8TPVMNT

Has anybody mentioned to have a close look at the dash screws? Try to see if the instrument panel cover has been removed to jigger with the hour meter. :eek:

No, but I don't trust hour meters anyway nor do I believe the hm is accurate. Just gotta value the tractor for it's condition alone. Here's a pic

Attachments

• D21P-7.jpg
    D21P-7.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,366

Digger145

Shame about the grousers and chains.
Have a good look at the outer edges of the blade above the cutting edge, they get real thin there. I do a bit of gutter work with our 6 way PAT and as such have made half height cutting edges for it.

Glad you can post pics now, Welcome BTW. :)

Tnvolnfl

Jd650g

Newby here looking to purchase a JD 650G LGP for cleaning up a 98 acre parcel that has been clear cut. Unfortunately, i don't know much about dozers ecept what little I have learned researching the net. Found several in the $30,000 to $40,000 + range. Any suggestions as what to look for or stay away from, Etc.? Thanks

shouldabeen

Occupation
Specialty Services,LLC
joystick brake adjustment

Well, success at last. With the joystick control (and possibly the model21 as well), when you shift the joystick to neutral the brakes are applied automatically. SO... to adjust the brakes the shifter has to be put in forward or reverse to unlock the brakes. Best not to do this with the engine running (unless you want to trot along behind to do the adjustment). This is not mentioned anywhere I can find, but file it away for future reference.

WD:)

what panel and where is the bolt to adjust??

shouldabeen

Occupation
Specialty Services,LLC
took a lot of reading all worth it I just got a d-21p-7 I have to make a brake adjustment with joystick I thought aww crap hows that work gonna go try now will report back. you guys stick around for us new bees and thank you in advance.

JimInOz

D21

Hi H8,
Those little Komatsu are good machines,but after living as a rental unit in Japan,it will need close inspection.
Look at the front idlers & see if they are tight or do they wiggle from side to side.Check rollers too.Swamp tracks are hard on dozers,if used in hard ground applications.
Also look for rust/pitting in the undercarriage covers,frames & (especially) bolts.A lot of bolts become corroded & are very frustrating to work with,often breaking in half.
A lot of ex-rental units going to auction,get some "beauty therapy" in Asia,before the auction.
The missing plates speak volumes about your ability to "do a deal".

Jim

ramajama

Hello, I've been lurking a while but just signed up.
I have learned a lot from this thread about grey market dozers, so thanks to everyone for the contributions.

I hope I haven't hijacked the thread. I apologize if I have.

shouldabeen

Occupation
Specialty Services,LLC
ITS OK I GOT THE NUMBERS OF THE ONES ON THE UNIT AND ORDERED THE HYDROLIC FROM KOMATSU DEALER. I RAN A COPY OF THE OIL SPECS TO HAVE THE TYPE OF OIL ECT. WHAT WOULD BE GREAT TO KNOW IS HOW MUCH OIL IN EACH SECTION. is $300 bucks to much for all three manuals?

Last edited:

H8TPVMNT

ITS OK I GOT THE NUMBERS OF THE ONES ON THE UNIT AND ORDERED THE HYDROLIC FROM KOMATSU DEALER. I RAN A COPY OF THE OIL SPECS TO HAVE THE TYPE OF OIL ECT. WHAT WOULD BE GREAT TO KNOW IS HOW MUCH OIL IN EACH SECTION. is $300 bucks to much for all three manuals?

Where did you find the manuals for the D21P-7? I need a set too.

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
I got my D21P-6 manuals from SSB Tractor for $184.23 last year. Phone #s are:
1-877-698-3033 and 1-631-451-8706.
These numbers are from last year. Lots of Japanese writing in 'em, but English also.
Pretty good manuals........... 3 manuals....Parts-Shop and Operation and Maintenance.
Good luck
Pete/MS

shouldabeen

Occupation
Specialty Services,LLC
service done

just completed complete service, Oil,Transmission,Bevel Tranny,Hydrualic,Fuel and Air filter. All fluid and filters new and fresh. Heres the funny part I like to never found the drain plug on the hydrualics yeah and then wow there it is. Now Question D21P-7 WHAT ARE THE PLUGS ON LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE OF THE BEVEL DRAIN PLUG. I PULLED THEM OUT FOUND NO FLUID OF ANY KIND IS THIS NORMAL.

union4life

Occupation
OPERATING ENGINEER
hey gang figured i will give my imput on dozing KOMATSU STILE, working at the meadowlands running a 155 ax (same size as Cat D8) and 47 px ,just like any other machine you have to get familiar with them and show them whos TOP DOG... Also can some one explain to me how to add pics too the forum... union4life

shouldabeen

Occupation
Specialty Services,LLC
thanks Kc5gxc at I now know its supposed to be that way.HAHAHA oh ya guys get a seat belt or stitches I was bounced into the rops and boy did it hurt.

shouldabeen

Occupation
Specialty Services,LLC
thanks Kc5gxc at I now know its supposed to be that way. (HAHAHA oh ya guys get a seat belt or stitches I was bounced into the rops and boy did it hurt.
)

just read the last remarks looks like I was being a smart as_. I did not mean it like that if thats the way it taken so thank you for the info it is very helpfull. the last part was an added laugh I hope.

Frank Dozer

A friend for my Komatsu

Well, my Komatsu D21A-5 has been yearning for some company. So yesterday I purchased :) a 2005 Iron Horse 284 with a FEL and backhoe. It has only 140 hours and runs excellant !! I now have the best of both worlds. Basically it's a JInma 28 horse. It was lightly used and kept indoors. Just like my dozer, I'll change all the fluids and check it all over before using it.
Frank