• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

R Leo

I've got the D21 and sure like it. Use the inching pedal like a clutch to keep it smooth and not shock load it. It had 5,143 hrs on it when I got it and was used by contractors for grading homesites, etc....
I can tell you it ain't got any trans slippage like a torque converter does. It goes rite now, and will stall the engine down if you get it against an inmovable thing.
I took the hr meter out to make room for an oil press gauge....cold it's at 75 psi and hot it's at around 40-35. Also put in a temp gauge .... need a voltmeter now but a meter for a 24 V system is hard to find....anyway....ain't got another hole for it...ha. Never used a dozer before and find that this thing is the roughest riding machine I have ever been on. It will shake you apart. Tractor is bad, dozer is worse. I think the pyramid tracks may make it worse...is this the case? I can sure tell it gets smooth when I get into a soft area. Also, I am happy with fuel usage...seems to sip it.
thanks
Pete in MS

Rough ain't in it!!! I'm planning on installing a suspension seat ASAP...my 51 year old back isn't up to riding that bucking SOB for 8 hrs at a time.

Pete,
My temp gauge is DOA and needs to be fixed/replaced.What did you use for oil pressure & temp gauges?

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
No small dozer to my knowledge has an active suspension on them like you would expect to find on the larger dozers.
You can expect a rough ride on the small dozers generally because of the shorter track frame and especially if the tracks are running loose and/or you have bad/missing bottom rollers.Ron G

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Hey WDNewman. The tracks have slipped a few times when I had it revved up, but don't slip much at all.....when they do, they rip the ground up. It pushes the small trees ok....I have a lot of the yaupon holly....it's clumpy stuff....I hit it high and shove it over and the close side of the roots pop out...then back up and get the big flat section of roots all out. If you cut it off, it's harder to get the roots. Ditto for other trees. Don't run up to a big fat pine stump an nail it too hard.....you gonna stop fast...ha ha ha. Dynamite is good for those, I've heard...Seems like the 8' blade is really wide for this size machine, but guess it's extra good for leveling dirt with it. You sure can load it up in the scrub, tho.
RD Leo....I used mechanical oil and water gauges. I got them at a truck parts place. The water temp comes with a bushing that's 3/8" npt and you gotta have it because the probe and it's fitting must seat on the bushing. The bushing screwed rite into my thermostat housing where the cab heater option plug is. I switched to a temp gauge and probe from
http://www.agri-supply.com/ because the first one had a very high scale and didn't work well. The agri-supply one is for a Massey Ferg. tractor......but........it did not come with the bushing....and you gotta have the bushing for the probe to seal off on. It was $16. It fit rite in the original bushing that came with the first kit...luckily.
The oil press gauge kit from the truck place (or auto parts) is ok as is, but it did not have a metric adapter to install it. The Komatsu has a metric plug (looks like !/8" npt pipe, but is not. (this is located down by the dipstick on mine) I could only find this adapter in one place in a nearby town, and they had only one.......I was surprized to find the water temp bushing that is 3/8" npt screwed rite in the thermo housing.
Anyway, that's my story , and I'm sticking to it....ha ha.
Good luck
Pete in MS

rangerfreak

just keeping you up to date

After realizing that i had put too much oil in the engine i decided screw it,ill just drain all the oil out and replace it with new rotella d 15W40, have not tightened my tracks yet because i need to buy a grease gun will keep everybody up to date:usa

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Not all of it!

Hey Rangerfreak!

If you drained and replaced all the oil before, just drain out a little bit! You don't need to replace ALL the oil! Just get the level right. Always check your all before using the machine, not after using it. BTW, my eldest son has been an engineer for Shell oil for the last seventeen years says to use NOTHING but Rotella T in any diesel engine. Some people say use only the 30 wt oil, but I can't verify that using the multi weight oil has any detrimental effect.

WD

rangerfreak

Hey Rangerfreak!

If you drained and replaced all the oil before, just drain out a little bit! You don't need to replace ALL the oil! Just get the level right. Always check your all before using the machine, not after using it. BTW, my eldest son has been an engineer for Shell oil for the last seventeen years says to use NOTHING but Rotella T in any diesel engine. Some people say use only the 30 wt oil, but I can't verify that using the multi weight oil has any detrimental effect.

WD

ill do that

Brianls

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Brianls! :drinkup

Whats going on in Perry these days?

Brianls

Happenin' Perry

Welcome to HEF Brianls! :drinkup

Whats going on in Perry these days?

Not much. The Nat'l fair grounds is always so busy you can't go out to eat without a 30-60 minute wait. We NEED rain. and the dirt (clay) is as hard as concrete.:usa

Countryboy

Occupation
Not much. The Nat'l fair grounds is always so busy you can't go out to eat without a 30-60 minute wait. We NEED rain. and the dirt (clay) is as hard as concrete.:usa

I'm hearing ya on the rain. Been looking for it for a while now. :beatsme

I'm one of them Fair Ground people. :D I've been to the Buck-a-rama, Fish-a-rama and Turkey-rama for the last 15 years. Haven't missed one yet. :drinkup

Brianls

Jones CO

I'm hearing ya on the rain. Been looking for it for a while now. :beatsme

I'm one of them Fair Ground people. :D I've been to the Buck-a-rama, Fish-a-rama and Turkey-rama for the last 15 years. Haven't missed one yet. :drinkup

Where in Jones County are you? Do you ever go to the Mossy Creek Barnyard Festival on Lake Joy Rd in Perry?

Countryboy

Occupation
Where in Jones County are you? Do you ever go to the Mossy Creek Barnyard Festival on Lake Joy Rd in Perry?

The Ol' Lady went last year with some friends, but I didn't. I don't recall ever going but I do plan on making it up there some time. When's the next one?

On Edit: I live right inside of Gray.

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Serial Numbers

Does anyone know of a website or location where we can find a listing of serial numbers indicating date of manufacture, machine type, etc? Could be a factor when shopping for a dozer.

WD:eek:

R Leo

Now that you've let the cat out of the bag about having a parts manual... could you be kind enough to lookup the part number for the throttle cable. Mine must have gotten moisture in it and has froze up. The local (35 miles away) doesn't like helpping us "grey market" owners.

Brian
Baby Dozer owner
I'd be happy to do it but the manual (a repair manual) is at the farm, 90 miles away. I'm going back on Wedensday. I'll look it up then....but, to be honest, I don't remember seeing part numbers in the thing.

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Hi Bryan
The part No. for the throttle cable on a D20 is: 103-43-35270. This is for cable only. All else has it's own part No.
My lever assembly was broken, so I put a big truck throttle cable on it.
Good luck
Pete in MS

Brianls

Throttle Cable

Hi Bryan
The part No. for the throttle cable on a D20 is: 103-43-35270. This is for cable only. All else has it's own part No.
My lever assembly was broken, so I put a big truck throttle cable on it.
Good luck
Pete in MS

Thanks for the PN. The lever on mine is still OK, I didn't try to over muscle it. I pulled the side cover and unbolted the linkage from the throttle valve and checked valve operation and all was good. Next I checked the lever system and after removing the cable from the ratchet assembly it checked good and the cable was FROZEN!!

Thanks for the help.

Brian
Baby Dozer owner:usa

This is a great forum.

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Hi Ranger
You gotta take the protection plate off under the oil drain. 2 bolts hold it on and it's about the size of a cracker box in length and width. It's important to keep it on when working in rough stuff to keep limbs out of there.
You can do it by crawling under the machine. I also have raised mine by trimming 2 crossties on one end and driving up on them to raise machine about 8". Makes it easier. There's about 9 qts of oil in there.
Good luck
Pete:usa