• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Hey RF
The protection plate for the oil drain has one bolt. The transmission screen area protection plate has 2 bolts.....this on my D21P-6 with powershift.
I had told you wrong before.
Pete in MS

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Well, I bought it.

Today I wrote a check for a D21P-7E with a little over 2000 hours on the meter. It has the joystick controls and was really sweet handling, and has NOT been repainted. All the specifications on the undercarriage showed 80% or better remaining, so I know it has been replaced within the last couple of hundred hours. The sprockets had new welded sections and also looked no older than a couple of hundred hours either. Found no rust or leaks, and am having the dealer weld on a FOPS with sweeps before he ships it to me. Anxious to get it, but will have to wait a week or so before it arrives.

:drinkup

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Congrats on the purchase. :drinkup

So it will be a week before we can see the pictures then....:confused: :D

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Pictures

Countryboy,

Actually, I do have some pictures taken from the dealers website. Now all I have to do is find the "post attachments" button which is supposed to be here somewhere. Ah, there it is. Now I have to resize the photo. Maybe I can get this done a little later today.

WD

Last edited:

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
My new toy.

Well guys,

Try as I might, I can't resize the photo to meet the 640 x 640 requirements.
It (The dozer) should be in within the week (with sweeps installed) and then I can take some photos, hopefully resize them and get them posted so you all can whoop and hollar.
I am having a hard time getting the source for a manual. Any manual. I ordered one from Manuals.US two weeks ago, but nothing has arrived and I can't get them to respond to any of my emails.
So...I am still looking for manuals and cross-references for filters. Any help out there?

WD

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Email them to me at cat420(at)gmail.com and I'll resize and post them up for you. Or you could download the Microsoft ImageResizer Powertoy, it usually gets pictures small enough.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Here she is. Looks like a nice machine.

Attachments

• Dozer 6-20-07 (Small).jpg
    Dozer 6-20-07 (Small).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 4,084

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Thanks Cat420!

Well, There it am!

Like I said before, the sweeps are yet to be put on. The dealer had five D20's and D21's ranging from 5's to 7's. This one was my favorite by far. He had another pyramid track unit (a D21P-6) that rode like a bronco. I never could figure out why, but the difference in the one I bought and it was like night and day. The D20 I tried could never stop grinding the gears. Probably because the clutch brake wasn't adjusted correctly, but I couldn't be sure. Also the clutch was slipping pretty badly, but then again it could be an adjustment problem. What really pulled me to this unit, other than the joysticks, was the strong engine, a smooth ride (? in comparison), great hydros, no rust, at least none hidden by paint. Still looking for a manual and a filter cross reference, though.

Thanks again Cat420.

WD

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Great looking machine there wdnewman. :drinkup

Thats one of the better looking ones that I have seen. Now we need some action shots after you get everything in order. :D

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Hi WD
I got my manuals for a D21P-6 from here:
http://www.ssbtractor.com/
I got the complete set (3 manuals....cost about $187.
Talked to some fellow on the phone who was good, but can't remember his name. Manuals are pretty good, you just gotta convert everything from metric.....hope you got a calculator!

Got my hydraulic filter from Komatsu, as there are no after market filters for these machines. (hydraulic)...cost about $27, I think)

You can get fuel and engine oil filters from local parts place....here is WIX site: http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/racing.asp

The fuel filter for mine is WIX 33393
The engine oil filter is WIX 51206
The parts place can check on your model or you can find on WIX site.
Good luck
Pete;)

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Thanks to all....

Hey, great info on the filters! Just what I was looking for. Still have had NO response from Manuals.US, so I am going to get in touch with SSB Tractor and see what they have. As soon as the dozer arrives, I'll put in some more pictures so you can see how the installation went on the sweeps.
:drinkup
Thanks again!

WD

R Leo

Hello i was wondering if low sulfer fuel will hurt my dozer and do i need to switch to farm diesel if i can find it:)
Good question. Initially, it will depend on whether or not the tubing and seals that come in contact with fuel are made from natural rubber. If they are natural rubber, you will eventually experience leaks from the rubber failing due to contact with the volatiles in the ULSD. Replacing rubber seals and tubing with parts made of Viton will solve this problem.

Another issue is lost lubricity. Good 'ol #2 diesel utilized the sulphur as a lubricant and supposedly, ULSD contains additives to compensate for the lost lubricating qualities. I'm not convinced that is the truth so, an aftermarket additive such as Power Service which contains additional lubricant may be a good idea. Another alternative is biodiesel which has excellent and well documented lubricating properites. Sufficient lubrication can be achieved at 5% biodiesel concentration. I would not go to a higher percentage of biodiesel because it too can cause problems with natural rubber components. Additionally, biodiesel is a strong solvent and if used in high concentrations will start cleaning years of accumulated paraffins from fuel system components resulting in clogged filters and other problems.

I have some experience in alternate fuel use from approximately three years of running my Mercedes-Benz diesel automobiles on everything from waste fry oil to diesel to used engine oil to citronella-scented lamp oil. In that time, the absolute most trouble I've experienced with my fleet has been in the last 6 months since ULSD appeared in the local diesel pumps. The biggest issue is my 6 cylinder, diesel-powered S-class that has needed delivery valve seals and injector oveflow hoses replaced. Fortunately, I can do these things myself.

You can be sure that I'll be keeping a close eye on my dozer for fuel issues.

Last edited:

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Ulsd

Hi Rangerfreak,

I have heard that ultra low sulfur diesel fuel can cause seal leakage within the fuel delivery system, mainly in the "0" rings at the injectors or the seals at the fuel pump. It seems that the sulfur is a natural lubricant and when you don't have it in quantity within the fuel leaks can begin. I use exclusively "farm" diesel, which is untaxed in Mississippi and therefore over 20 cents per gallon cheaper. It is worth it to buy a skid tank and keep a supply on hand, or even an old 55 gallon drum with a hand pump works well. That is what I use. Here is a website that beats the subject of ULSD to death if you are really interested.

http://www.officialbiodiesel.com/news/uls_diesel.htm

WD

Last edited:

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Hi WD and All
I was talking to the guy that sells the farm diesel here in Poplarville. I asked him if the farm stuff still had the good lubrication....he told me it's just road diesel with the dye in it. Same stuff .
He may not know what's going on, tho.....who knows?
Pete in Poplarville:D

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Hi WD and All
I was talking to the guy that sells the farm diesel here in Poplarville. I asked him if the farm stuff still had the good lubrication....he told me it's just road diesel with the dye in it. Same stuff .
He may not know what's going on, tho.....who knows?
Pete in Poplarville:D

Pete,

Let me check with my supplier here in Jackson. It is my belief that the diesel sold at the truck stops and the dyed farm diesel is NOT the ULSD being sold at the gas stations for automobiles. This could be entirely incorrect. I know for a fact that only a percentage of the diesel being produced at refineries is ULSD, so the high sulfur diesel is still being made. In either case, there is an additive that supposedly is added to ULSD to give it better lubrication, so the whole discussion may be just an discussion and nothing more. :rolleyes: