• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

Left Wednesday night at 11:00 pm for Miles City Mt with one in tow. Arrived at Hathway exit 117 I-94 at 3:35 pm dropped the one and re-hooked by 4:40 yesterday.
That included dragging the one out from trailer. Arrived back at the shop at 7:05 am today, removed back section found the synchronizer hub broke the pins.
Total mileage 1670, I team drove it with the other shop mechanic. Only time she shut off was fueling in Billings.

Truck Shop

crane operator

It was probably cold enough in billings you didn't really want to even shut it off?

So do you front tow or rear tow, or just depends what's broke. It's probably just a choice between trying to keep the fairing from blowing off by towing from the rear, or pulling axles to front tow?

I'm assuming you guys run a lot of the newer auto/ computer shift transmissions- are they a big pain when trying to pull them around a little when broke down? I've heard of guys supposedly destroying transmissions by pulling one a block in neutral,etc. and just wondered what they say on the really new transmissions.

I was looking at a terex crane the other day, 60 ton, came with a detroit 60 series, and I think it was a "cemat" auto transmission. Tag in the cab for the shifter said something like - "Absolutely no towing or pulling of crane" . What kind of idiot puts a transmission like that in a piece of construction equipment? What are they supposed to do when its muddy and they have to drag it around a jobsite? What if its steep and you have to pull it up a hill with a dozer or excavator?

Glad that tow rig is working well, is the boss happy with the savings in tow bills, or not sure if he wants to lose two mechanics for two days to bring home a dead one?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Left Wednesday night at 11:00 pm for Miles City Mt with one in tow. Arrived at Hathway exit 117 I-94 at 3:35 pm dropped the one and re-hooked by 4:40 yesterday.
That included dragging the one out from trailer. Arrived back at the shop at 7:05 am today, removed back section found the synchronizer hub broke the pins.
Total mileage 1670, I team drove it with the other shop mechanic. Only time she shut off was fueling in Billings.

Truck Shop

Super trucker! Haha. When people use that term it sure pisses me the F off!

Truck Shop

Crane operator-it mostly depends on the situation of towing from front or back. I tow mostly from the back but several I've towed from the front also. The later fairings don't
have the issue the older styles had with wind and in windy conditions I just run tie straps around the fairings for support. The sun was going down so this one got towed
from the back, I can run a steady 67/68 towing from the back and they tow better that way also. And yes we have a bunch of DT12 Freightliner auto shifts, and yes pulling
the drive line is a must do, other wise you might buy a $18,000.00 transmission. But the W900 is equipped with everything I need so getting the job done goes fairly easy.
Billing was 38* Drumond was 13* and freezing fog, thick fog. 4th of July and Lookout passes were 27* and light freezing fog. And I was only out of the shop one full day and there's three in the shop.

And I only pull axles on a bad rear drive issue other wise I remove driveline and put air to that trucks system to keep brakes released and bags full.

Super Trucker? I've been called much worse than that. :)

Truck Shop

Truck Shop

When I have a job to do I have a tendency to get after it. I actually don't like driving that much anymore, don't like truck stops or mini marts or the rest of the drivers on the road.
I have seen most of these places years ago and not much has changed except there's more people.

Truck Shop

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Can associate TS, the people have changed too, not the same brotherhood we all knew so long ago when there were not so many out there.

Truck Shop

Can associate TS, the people have changed too, not the same brotherhood we all knew so long ago when there were not so many out there.

Truck drivers these days run up on you too damn close and most run too damn fast for conditions. Part of it is the trucks being built like a car or pickup, it gives them a false sense of security.
Most of them don't know when they've overloaded their a$$ and fool themselves about how good a driver they are especially in bad weather. I saw several this trip that were just lucky and
that's the only way I can put it. They can't distinguish a wet road and one that's wet and also icy. Freezing fog will put you on your lid.

Truck Shop

Mother Deuce

Used to top Snoqualmie and drop into Easton in the fog watching the mirror heads and antennas to start building ice. Time you got to Eburg your eyes were like pie plates and the mirror brackets were an inch thick. Trying to keep the windshield clear with wipers that even with repeatedly stopping to beat the ice off of them, would quickly become nearly useless. I got off at Elk Heights one night eastbound to walk around the truck and fell right on my postierior. It was completely froze over on the top. Looking back though... I wouldn't have missed it for nothing!

Truck Shop

Your right there MD, from Easton to George and Eburg to Yakima the freezing fog is probably the most dangerous. Drivers in general get to concentrating on being
able to see where there going and forget about what the road condition is. Cleaned up a nasty totally avoidable fatality incident north bound I-82 MP 5 in 1989
because people got in a hurry and past the sand truck. Rule of thumb for the locals was when cresting the top MP 8 I-82 headed north if you can't see the
valley because of fog and you know it's freezing you best be on your A game.

Truck Shop

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
1977 came out of Bakersfield into AZ with a load of mixed produce. A Mack F700 cabover with a SUPER Short WB, tandem sleeper where the back wall of the cab was only a foot or so off the reefer with the fifth wheel ALL the way back. Late November, I-40 climbed to Flagstaff no snow, a little mist, had been awake WAY TOO LONG. Determined to get in QQ for a rest(pushing WAY TOO HARD. Got whiteline trance going had no idea how long and then was awakened from it as thought some Idiot was passing me with NO Headlights. Shook off the haze and realized was not a passing car, was MY TRAILER in the other lane. Was Just west of Flag coming into town.

Got lucky, did not get stupid, settled down and added just a bit of throttle, saw the lines on the wheels(had been stripe painted by someone prior) start to roll again as slipped back into MY lane from following headlights, got all back straight and moved to the shoulder. As I got out to check what was up no sooner than feet hit the pavement was on my ass. BLACK Ice. Still wetted and soft but still ice. Managed to get rolling got to the Little America TS and shut it down for that night. ALL MANNER of NEW buttonholes in the seat cushion!! Not sure if the steering wheel imprints of my grip ever wore off either!

Truck Shop

About 50% of our drivers are the same low quality every other trucking company has. The company I work for use to require minim of three years driving and at least
two winters of chain up experience. Because of the driver shortage requirements have fallen to six months and no winter experience. Basically if you have a pulse and
are breathing were hiring. We have one tractor that just got auto chains installed and that tells me what's coming next {everyone of them will have them}. Rumor has
it Federal DOT is looking at dropping the age to eighteen.

I'm waiting for the question from office {HR-Safety mgr -plus the owner} if I can install a wheel chair lift on one of the tractors .

Truck Shop

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That’s one of the reasons I got out of it. Way too much bs for the investment. It was like a daycare more than a business. I had a few great guys and the rest were typical turnover.

I was in Salt Lake one time listening to a trainer and a trainee. It didn’t take long to figure out the trainer hadn’t been doing it much longer! They had heard weather was bad and they had to be prepared to chain up. They proceeded to come up with a plausible mechanical issue to delay departure until roads got better. Wtf?

It’s partially the industry’s fault. Heck it might be all their fault. It’s darn sure not like it used to be.